Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa latch arm loose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
e_artiles
I just removed the targa interior pad and was looking at the rear targa latches. The arm on the passenger side latch seemed loose and in comparing it to the other side, it looks like it's missing a retaining ring (see picture).

Click to view attachment

Any idea where I can get a replacement clip or other viable solution? Also, I want to clean up the surface rust on the latch...what would be the best finish?
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(e_artiles @ Sep 12 2013, 10:33 AM) *

I just removed the targa interior pad and was looking at the rear targa latches. The arm on the passenger side latch seemed loose and in comparing it to the other side, it looks like it's missing a retaining ring (see picture).

Click to view attachment

Any idea where I can get a replacement clip or other viable solution? Also, I want to clean up the surface rust on the latch...what would be the best finish?

What timing biggrin.gif , I'm working on this exact same issue. I'll post some pictures of my solution tonight when I finish.
chads74
While youe working on it, will you see if they are adjustable. My passenger side latch barely holds on, if I could adjust it down to make it tighter I would love to know how. I have searched a little but never found any type of adjustment on it.
AZ914
you can put a C clip on there, there should be a little ridge for it to sit in if you push the lever towards the back further.
Valy
I used a C clip from HomeDepot. It was SAE size, don't remember exactly the size, probably 1/4"
e_artiles
No provision for adjustment. If the top is really loose then you probably need to replace the top rear seals.
e_artiles
Yes there is a ridge...will check my Home Depot for the C-clips.
e_artiles
Any thoughts on refinishing the rusty portions of clamp?
bandjoey
Cut a small piece of rubber vacuum line and place over the pin on the top. The hook on the targa over the rubber will pull the lid down tight.
chads74
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 12 2013, 03:50 PM) *

Cut a small piece of rubber vacuum line and place over the pin on the top. The hook on the targa over the rubber will pull the lid down tight.

Sounds like a good fix
chads74
QUOTE(e_artiles @ Sep 12 2013, 02:58 PM) *

No provision for adjustment. If the top is really loose then you probably need to replace the top rear seals.

Forgot to mention, it has all new seals
76-914
If that post accepts a piece of rubber line then it is wacked out. Usually few wraps of masking tape is all it takes to remove the slop. Don't use elec or Scotch tape. Ask me how I know. I slid a small piece of plastic thin walled tube over the post and it's held fine for 3 yr's. Next time I'll build it up w/ heat shrink tube until I get the right amount.
Phoenix-MN
f### best laid plans mad.gif I'v had the c-clips come off twice and I was going to try a screw and washer to hold the arm on.. Drilled the hole and started the tap to thread it and the tap broke hissyfit.gif I guess I'll look for a another latch to try this on

Click to view attachment
e_artiles
What kind of finish is on your latch metal part (not the plati-coated arm & hook)? Is that painted?
Phoenix-MN
No it's not painted, it was zinc plated with a yellow chromate finish
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.