Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions/Comments Removing heat exchanger tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Can I get any suggestions/comments if it is possible to remove the heat exchanger tin from the exhaust pipe? If possible, is it going to increase heat along the engine?
If you look at the picture of my heat exchanger, it is really in bad shape.

Thank you and God Bless!

Click to view attachment
barefoot
Sure will, see how close the exhaust is to the axle boots, they'll suffer.
I'd get some SS band clamps and clamp the clamshells together, unless you want to tear the system off and get it re-welded.
Rand
Cutting wheel on a grinder will make quick work of it. Rip a cut lengthwise and whatever other little cuts you need to peel it open and get it off of there.

If you are worried about the heat you can make a tin shield in that spot. But I wouldn't worry about it. Headers don't have tin.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 12 2013, 12:31 PM) *

Sure will, see how close the exhaust is to the axle boots, they'll suffer.
I'd get some SS band clamps and clamp the clamshells together, unless you want to tear the system off and get it re-welded.

Thanks for your comments sir! It seems that my heat exchanger is made of aluminum and not a metal that can be welded. I'm not really sure. And there are several holes on top portion of my exchanger.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 12 2013, 12:37 PM) *

Cutting wheel on a grinder will make quick work of it. Rip a cut lengthwise and whatever other little cuts you need to peel it open and get it off of there.

If you are worried about the heat you can make a tin shield in that spot. But I wouldn't worry about it. Headers don't have tin.

Thank you also for your suggestions! So if I will be able to remove the tin portion of the heat exchanger, can I just wrap the pipe with heat resistant tape. Any idea where I can buy that heat resistant wrap?
chads74
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 12 2013, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 12 2013, 12:37 PM) *

Thank you also for your suggestions! So if I will be able to remove the tin portion of the heat exchanger, can I just wrap the pipe with heat resistant tape. Any idea where I can buy that heat resistant wrap?

Local auto zone/ o'riellys will have it
jimkelly
that is a late 1975/76 style heat exchanger, sometimes you can get these for near free, cause most back date exhaust.

some have said that they are not aluminum or stainless.
ndfrigi
Thank you Chads74!!!
==================

Local auto zone/ o'riellys will have it
[/quote]
ndfrigi
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 12 2013, 01:10 PM) *

that is a late 1975/76 style heat exchanger, sometimes you can get these for near free, cause most back date exhaust.

===========

Thank you jimkelly!

===========

Is anyone have a spare heat exchanger for 1975 1.8L? For free or cheaper price? If possible local area around Cypress, CA 90630 to save shipping.

God Bless!
TheCabinetmaker
I'll give you a good pair for packing and shipping cost if you don't find one local.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 12 2013, 03:51 PM) *

I'll give you a good pair for packing and shipping cost if you don't find one local.

Thank you so much sir, God bless you!
Any idea sir estimate for shipping to cypress, ca 90630?
Can I have some pictures of it sir?

Noel@frigienterprise.net
TheCabinetmaker
Pm sent
monkeyboy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 12 2013, 01:22 PM) *

===========

Thank you jimkelly!

===========

Is anyone have a spare heat exchanger for 1975 1.8L? For free or cheaper price? If possible local area around Cypress, CA 90630 to save shipping.

God Bless!

I think I have a set. PM me if you want them. I'm local.
Cap'n Krusty

===========

Thank you jimkelly!

===========

God Bless!

Bruce Stone probably has a few sets. He got 'some of them from me. He's in Riverside, not that far from you.

The Cap'n
ndfrigi
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Sep 13 2013, 07:25 AM) *

===========

Thank you jimkelly!

===========

God Bless!

I think I have a set. PM me if you want them. I'm local.

Thank you Sir! I will let you know if I did'nt get one. God Bless!

Noel
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 13 2013, 07:39 AM) *

===========

Thank you jimkelly!

===========

God Bless!

Bruce Stone probably has a few sets. He got 'some of them from me. He's in Riverside, not that far from you.

The Cap'n

Thanks for the info sir!
ndfrigi
I brought home this car today and look what exhaust and heat changer installed to this car. So I guess it answered my needs for now. Thanks to all the offers guys but if I'm not happy i will get back to you again. God bless!
Trying to save some money but with the price of this will definitely bring back a little bit more on what i paid for.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Noel, that's a 73 or74. You will need to change every thing associated with them. That means muffler, muffler hanger, S tubes, J tubes, branch pipes, and lower tin pieces. Everything from the tail pipes to ( but not including) the flappers. That's a good thing. The late model system is very restrictive, and cost you a few ponies.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 13 2013, 08:12 PM) *

Noel, that's a 73 or74. You will need to change every thing associated with them. That means muffler, muffler hanger, S tubes, J tubes, branch pipes, and lower tin pieces. Everything from the tail pipes to ( but not including) the flappers. That's a good thing. The late model system is very restrictive, and cost you a few ponies.

Ooops is that what it is? I was thinking of using the 74 muffler and heat exchanger but I did'nt know there is a difference on the other parts! In regards to muffler hanger, the picture of 4 the tips muffler from the 74 1.8 is not on a hanger and it looks very sturdy, so I was thinking the same. But as you said, other parts does not fit my 75 1.8.

Maybe for the meantime I will just remove the heat exchanger tin and just wrap the exhaust pipe with insulating header wrap.

Thanks a lot for the concern and God Bless!

rhodyguy
the pictured he looks to be in good shape. are they stainless steel? the rest of the conversion parts needed won't set you back that much if the system is not complete on the red car. the muffler NEEDS a hanger. the monza style mufflers are pretty heavy. the he's and the 8 exhaust studs are carrying the load.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.