Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a used Renegade Conversion worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
This IS NOT a "For Sale" thread...just an honest question about value.

The 914 that I just got has a full Renegade V8 conversion in it. I'm not a huge fan of the V8 in a 914. I plan on doing the Subaru conversion in a month or two when the car is parked for the winter. The conversion was really well done, and it looks like (from the receipts) the PPO (2 ago) spent a pretty penny on all the parts.

Am I better off selling the whole cradle/exhaust/engine/trans to another 914 guy? Or should I put the Chevy 350 on Craigslist and then sell the adapter plate, downpipes. and cradle here?

I was planning on keeping the radiator in place, as well as the big-ole-axles for the Subaru build. (I already bought the engine/trans/ecu from a friend.)

Opinions??
DBCooper
Try both. Standalone 350's are a dime a dozen, so you won't get much locally for just the engine. But they're kind of hard to ship, so if you keep the engine together with the adapters you're probably also looking at a local-only sale. On the other hand he adapters are expensive and pretty easy to ship (at least compared to an engine) so your potential market would be anywhere in the U.S. With more potential buyers you'd probably get the best price, and the buyer could then pick up his own dime-a-dozen 350 locally. So why not advertise each of those combinations, and first one sold wins? No harm in that.

chads74
I bought my kit from a wrecked 914 with the Renegade kit in it. The kid sold me the entire kit, motor, radiator, wire harness, exhaust, I am talking everything. I was in Tucson Az and drove to Dallas Tx because shipping was going to be so expensive. I ended up renting a good gas mileage car, drove out picked it up for less then $300, which included rental and gas. Luckily I have family in Dallas area and didn't have to pay for a hotel. I ended up paying the guy $1500 for the kit plus $300 for driving out, I was very happy.

If your kit is done nice, try and put it out there and see if you get any bites. I just happened to be looking on craigslist in my home town when I saw it. Saved me tons of money compared ti buying it all seperate.

Just my experience.
JRust
I would try to sell as a turn key to someone else. Wish the timing was better. MY LS1 conversion car is going to be up for sale. It's got the steel flares already installed. Would have been perfect for your Suby conversion. I'm going through a similar deal as I don't know if I am going to sell it with everything. Or just split it up & sell the roller. Then the LS1 conversion seperately confused24.gif . With that car being well sorted. I think it's best selling point to a 914 guy. Bring him over & take him for a drive. A v8 in a 914 is crazy cool to drive. Totally different feel. Best of luck bud. Can't wait to see your suby build thread biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
I sold my kit with running complete engine (minus radiator and hoses) on this site for $1,100 and I delivered it too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
I built a v8 conversion long before the current state of development and the pricing was very much different. You mentioned a "cradle" which is a great improvement from before and does add value. Provides proper stress and bracing points, etc. Do all the suggestions and adjust accordingly.

The conversions today are better engineered than the the days of my build. Jaime is right, it is an entire different world.

best wishes,
Steve
pete
I bought my 350 with the Renegade kit on Ebay for $1375 a couple years ago. It came with the engine bracket, new Edelbrock 4 barrel, aluminum valve covers, nice headers, clutch flywheel etc., very clean set up with reported 7,900 miles on the rebuild. The PPO bolted it to a pallet and shipped it to my warehouse for $194 from Michigan.
CptTripps
Great insight guys. Thanks!

I think I'll list it locally, and see what happens when the time is right. I paid $2.500 for the EJ20 motor and MT5 Trans with the ECU and everything, so if I can get a chunk of that back, I'll be in pretty good shape for my upgrade.

Now I just need to find a Subaru cradle for my 914 an I can swap it all out over the course of a few weeks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.