Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency Contact List
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
I now have a good list. The administrators of this site request that it be distributed in a way to protect members. Here is their policy.

The consensus is that the list should only be distributed on paper to the general membership. Also, it should be given only to people who are on the list, or who have at least 100 posts.

We're concerned about privacy and potential abuse - any joe just getting a shopping list for cars.

I know this sounds pretty restrictive, but we need to be able to protect our membership.

I will print copies of the list. If you would like one, please send me a PM or email and I will reply giving you instructions on where to send me a self addressed stamped envelope. Please include your club name so I can verify you meet the requirements.

If you have not signed up for the Emergency Contact List and would be willing to help fellow 914 owners should the need arrise, please send my your contact information by PM or email only.
Rusty
Greg,

Thank you for all the effort you've put into this. All of our time is valuable, and we appreciate the sacrifice you're making to provide this to us.

smilie_pokal.gif

-Lawrence
Joe Bob
Wouldn't it be easier to post a PDF file on the net ...password protect it with the USER's password for download?
Rusty
Yes... probably would be easier.

However, it wouldn't prevent the list from being distributed from friend to friend to friend to car thief.

Yeah, we know someone could type it all in and pass it around. However, we trust our members to do the right thing.

-Lawrence
gregrobbins
smilie_pokal.gif Thanks for the great support. We now have 105 names of members willing to help. Included is 32 states and 5 Canadian Provinces. smilie_pokal.gif

Far and away the most offering to help are in California with 30. Arizona and Washington are next with 7 each. If you are planning a 914 trip, there is plenty of help on the west coast, southeast and in the northeast.

If you are in a position to help another 914 owner if they break down in your area, it is not too late to be added to the list. Just send me a PM or email.

To get a copy of the list, see the first post of this thread.
scruz914
Greg,

Thanks for all of your work on putting this together! smilie_pokal.gif

Lawrence,

I can understand the concerns of the admins in wanting to keep the list secure against mis-use, but there are better ways to distribute it than snail mail and paper and still have a reasonable level of security. Not to mention the problems with updating the list with new entry, phone, and location changes.

If members are really going to be trusted to not mis-use a paper copy then they should be trusted to not mis-use a protected PDF file. Couldn't a forum be created here with access granted to only those that pass the same requirements for receiving a paper copy? You would know who has access to the list and it can be updated and downloaded easily by those who have legitimate access.

I believe that the list will only contain name, location, and phone number. The name and location of most members are easily obtained by a guest browsing the forum. I don't think having a phone number will enhance a thief's access any more than other sources to a car's location.

I think the members can be trusted to not distribute a soft copy of the list just as they are being trusted to not distribute a paper copy.

Thanks for listening.

-Jeff
seanery
It wasn't just Lawrence's decision.
We discussed this one on a number of levels.

There are other ways, but our concern is for the safety of you and your car.
Even password protected, it only takes one person to give out the password
and everyone in the world could have it.

Paper takes more work, yes, but it is a bit more secure for you, the 914 owner.

I hope I said that correctly.
scruz914
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 19 2004, 10:47 AM)
Paper takes more work, yes, but it is a bit more secure for you, the 914 owner.

Yes, but all it takes is for one person to OCR it and its no longer paper.

I am not going to argue. I appreciate the concern for security.

-Jeff
Carrera916
IPB Image Greg! IPB Image

First of all, thanks so much for putting the time to do this list as i know it will be greatly appreciated by me and others when (as Porsche God forbids) our beloved 914 clunker dies on the road, especially going cross country traveling.

For the Adm:

I really hope something can be worked out by using the secured PDF files as I know the list will be updated one way or another. It makes so much sense to get an updated version from the computer 'on the fly' before I hit the road instead of being stuck with outdated printed list in my glovebox.

I'm no computer hacker or computer security expert here but I felt there's a way to do it if someone out there can chim in ideas to get that PDF file set up....just my .02 worth of opinion.

jerry
SLITS
Since the list was created by the troubles I had, I will throw a bucks worth in here. While the active thread was running and if it hasn't been moved off the server or put in a protected area, the information was/is publically available anyway.............so much for security.
jwalters
IPB Image Thank you very much for your time and effort in this list.

It is good to know that help is generally a close by affair for many of us......

J.W.
Red-Beard
how about just e-mail the PDF as needed?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.