Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Redwizard16
Hi, I recently bought a "project" 914 for my 14 yr old son and I to rebuild. It is a 75 2.0. Can you advise where I should seek information for carbs or EFI for the 2.0?
Thanks
madd_dogg_914
What does it have on it now? Does it run? Most agree that the original fuel injection (when working) will be better and get better fuel economy than carbs can. However if it already has carbs on it, it would be pretty pricey to replace the entire injection system. It is a great way for your son to learn about cars. Good Luck and have fun! And just remember the 914 club moto . . . You can't turbo a 914! biggrin.gif Welcome to this forum, it is a great place and you will have a blast here.

-Chris
seanery
If you want opinions, you'll get those here, facts too!
What info/opinions are you looking for?

I've had two injected cars and just bought my first carb'd car. It's got the wrong cam, so I can't really comment on that.
If the fuel injection is setup properly it's pretty nice, both my injected cars were 2.0 and were a blast to drive!
I'll let you know on the carb'd car once we get the cam thing sorted.

Good Luck and Welcome!!
Jeff Krieger
There's lots of good technical information on the 914 here http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech.htm .
Bleyseng
This site is the bible for the Djet FI http://www.members.rennlist.com/pbanders
should keep you busy for an hour or so reading it.

If you have any questions about Djet ask away.

Geoff
Redwizard16
Gentlemen, thank you all. The factory injection system was cannibalized. I have synchronized carbs before but I don't have a clue about what mfg, what size, etc for a type 4.

I've seen advertisements for aftermarket EFI for about $700, half the value of the car. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of any good or bad stories.

Thanks,
Duane
Mueller
Do you need to smog the car in TX?

If not, then you need to see what you have carb wise (it does have carb(s) correct?

Becareful of that $700 price, it might just be a bare-bones setup.

I'd find some other 914 people and see if they can take a peek to see what you have, or take pictures and post them here.

Good luck
Bleyseng
Should say on the side of the carb(s) what the manufacture is.
Djet or Megasquirt is the way to go for FI.

Geoff
Aaron Cox
hey! welcome to the group!
i have carbs on my 73 2.0...got it from the previous owner that way. i have new weber 44 IDF (44mm throats downdraft carbeurator) carbs on my car. bought a hex linkage and synced the carbs. carbs work great. 44's are a little big for a bone stock motor w/o a little bit of a cam in it. but otherwise...it was well worth the investment! i did the whole car over a summer with my dad when i was 16 too! was a blast!

good luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Redwizard16 @ May 23 2003, 01:16 PM)
I have synchronized carbs before but I don't have a clue about what mfg, what size, etc for a type 4.

if the car already has carbs, stick with them. if it had FI and you're thinking about dual-carbs, be aware of the needed changes like:

new fuelpump
different cam (obviously involves dropping and opening the engine)
the carbs

that will run you most likely more than the $700 for a new FI setup ...

Andy
Bleyseng
You can find complete useable Djet set ups for $250-300 that bolt right in.
Forget the single carb, junk.
Dual carbs run best with a carb cam, gotta open the block for that.
A decent 914 is worth more with a complete FI set up on it.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.