Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dirk9141973
Can you change out cooling fan without dropping engine and removing tins. I have removed the 3 bolts easy but don't see way to remove fan and pulley?
(Why as dumb ass I left shop rag in engine compartment and was sucked into fan and broke 4 blades)
r_towle
Remove the front tin, and yes
worn
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Sep 12 2013, 05:27 PM) *

Can you change out cooling fan without dropping engine and removing tins. I have removed the 3 bolts easy but don't see way to remove fan and pulley?
(Why as dumb ass I left shop rag in engine compartment and was sucked into fan and broke 4 blades)

It can be done. Get it off the ground and pull the tin as you go. It actually can be done. Disadvantage is it is hard to see exactly what you are doing. Get a shop mirror on a stick that you can adjust. Good luck!
914-300Hemi
I did that also and overheated my engine and cracked the heads. Good luck.
bigkensteele
What do you need to remove it for? It probably can be done, but you can drop the engine in a couple of hours, even if you have never done it before. Not sure that it is worth the effort.

I once spent several hours replacing the oil cooler seals with the engine in the car because I read that it can be done. And it can. And I am sure that a guy who has worked on these cars for 30 years has mastered the technique, but I haven't.

What I have learned since then is that it is pretty easy to drop the engine, and in the process, you have an opportunity to check on bits and pieces that you don't normally think to look at such as CV boots, ground straps, and fuel lines.

The downside is that the car may end up on jackstands for a couple of years for the "while I'm in there" stuff that you find ;-)
Dave_Darling
Once you have the three bolts out, just wiggle the fan and it should come loose from the hub.

You may need to remove the front engine tin pieces in order to get the fan out of its shroud. Those are built to be removed with the engine in the car.

--DD
reharvey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 12 2013, 09:31 PM) *

Remove the front tin, and yes

agree.gif I've done this. After you remove the front tin there is room to remove it.
pilothyer
After removing the alt belt, you should be able to remove the fan after removing the three bolts. Just wiggle the fan up, down, left, right untill it just comes off. Easy
to do with out removing any tin pieces.
dirk9141973
biggrin.gif removing tins work but not without fight !! This is what a ship rag can do to fan blades ! Beware Click to view attachment
mepstein
I have one if you need it. $50 shipped. Mark
Dave_Darling
Time to sell that one on evil-bay as a "Lightweight racing fan"! biggrin.gif

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2013, 07:02 AM) *

--DD

I have one of those blades in a collection of parts that came out of the transmission I rebuilt. Must have been stuck in the crud of the bell housing. Couldn't figure out what it was, so I held on to it.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2013, 08:02 AM) *

--DD

Put some timing marks on it and make it really special!
dirk9141973
lol-2.gif So if I break blades off opposite the missing ones I can call it balanced and sell to AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.