Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attention Triad Users
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Okay, I know, I know, the best sound ever, but how does it sound with the Targa top off on the freeway? Long distances?

r_towle
Best sound with the added bonus of the wind in your hair
ben*james
I absolutely loved the triad on my last 914. Looked bad ass also, with the exhaust tucked up high and a pipe poking out on each side!
hcdmueller
Loved my Triad. What type of speeds are you travelling on the highway? I noticed that once I started pushing over 80ish mph, it started getting too loud. Probably not an issue in most places in the states. It was a problem when I would take long distance trips in Germany. I ended up switching to a quieter muffler. It doesn't sound nearly as good though.
speed metal army
Loved mine. Sounded great! Good HWY tone, not droning or too loud.
Kaduku
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Sep 12 2013, 11:23 PM) *

Loved my Triad. What type of speeds are you travelling on the highway? I noticed that once I started pushing over 80ish mph, it started getting too loud. Probably not an issue in most places in the states. It was a problem when I would take long distance trips in Germany. I ended up switching to a quieter muffler. It doesn't sound nearly as good though.

Anyone else swapped out their Triad to a quieter one?

r_towle
if you are worried about it being to loud, you should look at the Dansk muffler or Tangerine racing muffler next.

From there, Bursch and others....but those wont last very long.

Triad is the loudest.

rich
MikeM
Yup...Triad was too loud. Found a NOS banana muffler and NOW I have the best sound ever.
Mike
jvmarino
I installed a Triad on my 2.0 last year, and have been extremely pleased. Before that I had a very old glass-pack system (no idea of a brand name, but looked like an old Bursch maybe), and it was loud, and not so good. I am sure the inside of the muffler was long gone, and that led to the horrible sound it had.

The Triad has a deep rumble that sometimes makes me feel like I got more than 4 cylinders. I run it mostly with top off, and still love it. I read about people complaining of them being too loud, but I personally don't want my 914 to sound like a quiet street car. Maybe if it was a daily driver, it would be more of an issue.

I also think the Triad is built like a tank, and the price is amazing considering they are nearly custom built (depending on outlet configuration desired, heat exchanger set-up, etc.).
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 13 2013, 10:59 AM) *

if you are worried about it being to loud, you should look at the Dansk muffler or Tangerine racing muffler next.

Triad is the loudest.

rich

not true, the monza that was on my car when i bought it was much louder than the triad. and i dont think its as loud as a lot of cars on the market. Is it louder than a dansk, yes sure it is , but i like the deeper tone. and its not a "drone" like some. but also, even at cruising speed my RPM's are about 800 lower since i re-geared my transmission (4th and 5th) so at 70-75 it would be for me like you driving 60, lower rpm . less db's. but either way its not what i drive every day so if i were in that position i would have put on the SS from tangerine or a dansk.
(have had my triad for 3.5 years, with backdated ss H.E.
phil
r_towle
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 13 2013, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 13 2013, 10:59 AM) *

Triad is the loudest.

rich

not true, the monza that was on my car when i bought it was much louder than the triad.

notorious for rusting from the inside out.
Blown out baffles make them loud.

Rich
Garland
See my avatar, greatest sound ever, and looks great to. Best 914 exhaust iv ever owned. I have had them all over the last 35 years.
DRPHIL914
[/quote]
not true, the monza that was on my car when i bought it was much louder than the triad. [/quote]
notorious for rusting from the inside out.
Blown out baffles make them loud.

Rich
[/quote]

I suppose that's possible, i traded it back to Chris S(sunab914) i didnt think it was blown out at the time. However, i can't pretend to know that much because this is my only 914, i have only had 3 different mufflers on it, and never have had a stock set up(it came with the old 75 H.E.s that were bad, and the monza).

but i will say my wife prefers to ride in the boxster (due to the sound issue).
(although this may change as i am about to put on a set of SS sport cats with a SS dansk sport muffler on the boxster happy11.gif )

i tried a couple years ago when a few of the SS Borla's were out there on flea-bay to buy one but i was not going to pay 1K for a muffler.
jimkelly
for all the hype of upgrading to 2.0 HE's from any 1.7 or 1.8 type, due to bigger ID and smoother path, it amazes me that the triad is so popular with its ANTI smooth path.

or is flow path within muffler irrelevant?

popcorn[1].gif

reharvey
Over the last 25 years I've had just about every exhaust system available on my seven 914s and I think Traid is one of the best! Ray

biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
the one jim pictured is for a 6. IF you should contact dave@triad MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM EXACTLY WHAT VERSION OF HEAT EXCHANGERS YOU HAVE ON YOUR CAR!! if you're not sure, post pictures here first showing the muffler end of the hes for clarification.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.