Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Batteries ? ? ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I have had my silver 1974 914 for 15 or 16 years (I've lost count) now and have always heard about leaking batteries in 914's.

I know the "Hell Hole" exists primarily because the battery was above that area and that batteries used to leak acid in the area causing the paint to peel and then the metal to corrode badly.

Most every 914 that I have had or worked on had at one point or another a problem in this area (my silver street car is no exception). I repaired/restored my silver car about 11 or 12 years ago while I was still in college and have never had any batteries leak during my ownership of the car.

I have always used the lead-acid variety of battery since I bought the car way back and have never had a battery leak.

My question is this: Are newer batteries that much better than those from the 1970's which seemingly all had leakage problems (at least as 914's go)?

What has changed in battery technology or have I just been lucky not to have had one leak?

I am at the point where I may replace the battery once again and am wondering if the "dry" or "sealed" Optima battery is worth the extra expense (especially seeing that I have never had a battery leak).....

I thank you for your support.
Rhodes71/914
For the money I think the peace of mind is worth it. You haven't had a problem so far, who know what the future holds. Compared to what other stuff for these cars costs I think the investment in something as crucial as a battery is worth it.
McMark
A leaking battery does not visibly leak acid. The problem is that the "invisible" leakage gets picked up by rain water and collects in the hell hole. If you could protect the battery from rain, you'd solve most of the problem. But it's easier and cleaner just to put in a sealed battery and let it rain away. biggrin.gif
John
A leaking battery does not visibly leak acid. The problem is that the "invisible" leakage gets picked up by rain water and collects in the hell hole.

Hmm... That actually makes sense. Combine that with leaves and other crap collected in the Hell Hole clogging the "drain" hole, and you get the hell hole results......

Maybe these were the original problems with the cars only at the time who would keep that area clean????

I clean that area and the areas behind the rocker panels at least yearly. It's amazing what comes out of my rocker panels.

SO,

If the OPTIMA batteries are "leak proof", are they vapor proof as well?
McMark
Yes. But they can still explode if you overcharge them. I've been reamed before for promoting sealed batteries. rolleyes.gif
John
I'm sorry. I don't understand.

Should I opt for the optima or not?

Was overcharging a problem with 914's?

My car seems to have some difficulty simply keeping a battery charged let alone overcharging it....
nebreitling
yes, get an optima.

you won't overcharge it unless you use an external charger and fubar somthing. preserve your car.
dmenche914
it is a combination of battery acid residue on the battery top, and rain or wash water that sends it down to the "hell hole" If your car has remianed somewhat dry, the battery acid problem is less so.

An old, or damaged battery is mose likely to leak than a good one, and newer batteries are sealed compaired to old ones.

Best bet to be safe is next time by an Optima that cannot leak or have acid residue build up on the top.

A battery rain shield over the top is also effective in reducing the rain/battery effect in 914's, but again the Optima is the way to go.
McMark
Just pretend I didn't say anything about overcharging. It was a joke, it's not important. Ignore me.
Brando
Sweet. Thanks McMark. I'll go hook my optima up to my 800 amp, 20 volt charger. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.