Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: forward hex head bolt on protective cap for control arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
can't find what i think should be a 10mm in the tool box. before i buy one, is it a 10mm?

k
pilothyer
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2013, 11:01 AM) *

can't find what i think should be a 10mm in the tool box. before i buy one, is it a 10mm?

k

8mm
r_towle
agree.gif 8mm
rhodyguy
thanks guys! my hex set that goes on a ratchet hits the cap before the hex meets the bolt.

k
r_towle
harbor freight....

Get the metric long set...
rhodyguy
nearest hf to me is 25 miles+ rt. i'm not paying for shipping!! biggrin.gif . i'll dig deeper in the tool box now that i know the correct size.

k

ldsgeek
I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes. If you can't find the correct 8mm, a 5/16 is within 3 thousands of an inch and will usually work in a pinch. That being said, I heartily recommend you use the correct tool.
r_towle
An Allen wrench works, no need for a socket.
And I have used American ones in a pinch...with a file to make them smaller when needed....
rhodyguy
i know... dry.gif i get it biggrin.gif . too short. REQUIRES socket(and a short extension so you don't wham your hand when the bolt gives way).

mrbubblehead
mine were on SUPER tight on both cars. i wouldnt reccomend an american size allen. if it strips you might have a hell of a time getting it out. that cap screw is in an awkard place. i thought i was gonna either break the head off the bolt, my wratchet or socket. put a little dab of anti-seize on the threads when reinstalling em.
r_towle
Allen wrench using the long end, then put the box end of a wrench over the short leg for leverage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.