Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - HP question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Krieger
If you apply a force of F lbs tangentially to, say, a flywheel's radius of R feet to produce a torque of F*R ft*lbs and causing the flywheel to rotate, would the power you apply be given by (F lbs)*(2*pi*R ft.)*(R.P.M.) ?
madd_dogg_914
Depends on hom much boost you are running . . . oh wait, you can't turbo a 914! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually I think that you need to factor in the flux capacitor somewhere in that equation. Then divide by 2A

Actually I have no idea what I am talking about, but I am sure someone will chime in who does.

-Chris
Aaron Cox
sorry....just got out of physics class.....hmmm hold on..ill dig thru this one!
Jeff Krieger
Hey, I've got the Halliday and Resnick physics text too! Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of it.
Aaron Cox
it is my dads! his old college physics book! HP is on page 145 fyi ok? wink.gif
Jeff Krieger
I think I've figured it out. My equation above can be rewritten as (F*R)(lbs*ft)(2*pi)(RPM) or (torque)*(2pi)*(RPM) and since 1 hp =33000 lbs*ft/min we have hp = [(F*R)(lbs*ft)(2*pi)(RPM)] * [1hp/33000lbs*ft/min] = (F*R)*(RPM)/5252.1 = (torque)*(RPM)/5252.1 which is the well known equation for finding hp when the torque and RPM are known.
Aaron Cox
and we care because???? laugh.gif

just kidding! at least your noggin is working unlike me wacko.gif blink.gif
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 25 2003, 10:43 AM)
and we care because???? laugh.gif

just kidding! at least your noggin is working unlike me wacko.gif blink.gif

Just talking to myself. Actually, I'm just glad that I didn't have to review line integrals to figure it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.