Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help....rust found.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhcb914
Well the cold winter weather has set in up here in taxachusetts so time to put the car away and fix all the little problems that cropped up over the driving season. I bought my car a little over a year ago and never pulled off the rockers. Sunday I got motivated put the car on jack stands and pulled off the driver side rocker. This should be easy. First little screw came out with out a hitch. I thought to myself that wasn’t too bad maybe they have been off before. Second screw, SNAP……duho…..no biggy I have all winter to drill it out and re-tap it. Third screw, Crack…there goes my flat head impact bit….time to get another one anyway. Out come the vice grip, no problem the screw came right out. Popped off the little plastic rivets, and pulled off the rocker. I’m and guessing by the plethora debris that came out that it has never been pulled off before. CRAP! I mean CRAP everywhere, dirt, acorns, sunflower seeds, rocks more dirt and ……. rust chunks. Boy did that crap do a great job of trapping water and rusting the lower part of the jack post support. Well I no longer need to search for a winter project!

Here is a picture of the rocker. I guess I have to start cutting to see the extent of the damage. I have a welder and have done some very minor repairs on the car (Clutch tube, fire wall) but I have never tackled any structural problems before. Anyone in the Boston area have experience with this type of repair? Should I make some kind of brace to keep the car square before I start cutting or should I not worry with this amount of rust? The Car is pretty much rust free. Just has a few issues in this area as most do.

Thanks in advance for your insight…..This club rocks!!
rhcb914
Here a picture of the dirt pile that was living behind my rocker pannel......I can't wait to pull off the drivers site!!

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif beerchug.gif
URY914
Sorry. sad.gif

But don't fear, there are plenty of people here to help you get through it.
And many in your area. Do a search, there have been several photo documented repairs. Watson13 is one that comes to mind.

You should rig up some type of system (angles or bars) that would go across the door opening to hold it and keep it from sagging when you put it on jack stands for the fix. I took my door latch plate off and used a small angle bolted to the latch plate mounting holes. Than used a 1" angle tack welded to the front area off the door opening. Tack it where you would see it when you remove it.

Theres different ways but all get the job done. RacerChris in CT has a slick device that bolts in also.

Good luck,

Paul
aveale
hey,

I just had freezing14 over to my place to do some similar investigations.

GREAT CONTACT. No where near your area, but only a mouse click away.

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.