Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
I need a crash course in the 914 engine. What are the differences. Are the cases the same and crank and rods different? Cases different? I need to rebuild mine and would like to try and do it right. Joe confused24.gif
Jake Raby
Any engine can be used to make a larger one..

90% of the changes are all "drop in" parts like the crank and rods.

Go here for all the info www.tunacan.net/t4
rhcb914
Hi Joe,

All of the engine cases are basically the same. The very early ones I don't believe has provisions for the windage trays but that is really the only difference. The 1.7 was 66mm stroke and 90mm bore for 1679CC of displacement. The 1.8 the bore was increased to 93mm with the same 66mm stroke. The 2.0 the bore was increased again to 94mm and 71mm stroke. The cylinder heads are probably the biggest difference between the 3 engines. The coveted 2.0L head has the largest valves and flows the best in stock form. It can be identified buy the 3 intake studs. The 1.7 has the smallest valves and intake ports.

Here are a few links that go into detail on the engines.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/case.htm

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tour/

http://www.porschedecals.com/history914wcodes.htm

beer.gif
Bleyseng
All the 914 cases are the basically. The 1.7/1.8's have 66mm cranks with 90mm or 93mm pistons. The 2.0 have 71mm cranks and 94mm pistons with different rods. The heads vary some with the 3 intake stud 2.0l ones having the best valve size at 42x36mm.
Find a 2.0l core engine to rebuild if you are staying stock as it's starts with 95hp vs 80hp for the 1.7's.

Geoff biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
"W" cases don't have windage trays? Hmm now I will have to go pull it apart and look. I thought that just applied to bus and 412 cases.
Teknon
Excellent gentlemen. But what is a windage tray? Should I have the heads redone with larger valves or I have the opportunity to by a 2.0 motor for $200, but with no sheet metal. Would that be better? Ignorant, but learning. clap56.gif
brant
buy the 2.0 motor..
you can find tin work..
heck i have some extra tin work in only fair but useable condition.

if your going to rebuild one, the 2.0 might cost more to rebuild but not that much more.

brant
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Teknon @ Dec 14 2004, 07:19 AM)
I have the opportunity to by a 2.0 motor for $200, but with no sheet metal.

be careful with "a" 2,0 engine.

people have been known to sell the 2,0 T-IV bus engine for 914 applications.
the compression is a lot lower and most important, the heads are different.

it's a 2,0 engine all right, but it is -not- a 2,0 914 engine. check carefully.
if the heads have the 3-stud intake retainers, you'll have the most important part.
there is no way to know what kind of pistons you have without removing the heads. for that matter, you have no way of knowing you are *really* getting a 2,0 crank and rods without checking actual bore and stroke ...

be careful, check everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.