Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 225's - kumho ECTSA AST vs Falken ZIEX vs ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
not many choices in 225/50/15 (or other aspect ratio's for that matter). Looks like my options for 225 are Kumho ECTSA AST or the Falken ZIEX. Any opinions on these or other 225's for 15" rims?

245 selection looked even worse.

There's still some good options for 205. bridgestone, bfgoodrich, firestone, Michelin, goodyear, etc. are these enough better than the 2 I can find in 225's that I should just stay at 205?

My car's a daily driver year round, so I'm looking for all season performance tires. I live in seattle, so wet performance is a plus.
okieflyr
What is the rim size and is the car flaired for wider tires? In general a narrow foot print will provide better traction in the wet, until you get into specific wet performance tires.
TheCabinetmaker
More choices in 60. 50's will raise your rpms about 400, and reduce milage about 5mpg. Great for autocross. Not so much on the hiway.
bradtho
I've looked at aspect ratio's up to 65 and the only additional option is the BFGoodrich Radial T/A, which I think of more as a Camaro tire.

I've got some problems with my speedo, so I'm willing to re-calibrate for whatever tire I can find that's good.

I'll be putting them on 15x7 wheels. I purposely didn't include details on wheel width or narrow/wide body because I didn't want to thread-jack this into what would or wouldn't fit. I've been inspired by Mike "Movequik" Wills. I'm going to get the rear fenders worked around whatever I end up with.

any opinions on these tire choices?
DBCooper
I'm using Kumho Exsta XS's that replaced some first gen Falken Azenis, and like the Kumho's surprisingly well. When I put them on the Azenis were pretty highly rated. I may be giving up some grip, not sure, but everything else seems improved with the Kumhos. The Falkens only wore about 12k miles, but that probably wasn't the tire's fault.

If you're reworking the back tin why stop at 7? I have 215-16x7's all around on my car with trimmed inner lips and a pull of the back fenders. It cracked the paint, but that was my fault and otherwise not THAT big a deal. So if you're actually getting the tin reworked why not go 8's? I don't know about what 15" tire sizes are available, but I sure would like some 8's on mine. Not intending to make this a "what will fit" discussion, just sharing some "hindsight" for me that could be "foresight" for someone else.

914forme
My favorite tire right now for all around god drive excellent wet is the General G-Max AS-03. Run them on a Miata, and a Jetta TDI. The TDI is highly modified and puts out close to 500 Fp of Torques. Great Wet weather grip!!! Dry they are not the best dry grip tire out there, as you can push them just past the edge, and they don't carry the stiffest side wall. Again, best wet tire I have used.

It comes in a 195/55-50.

Lifted off the Tire Rack Generals Kumho AST
Size................................195/55R15 225/50R15
Service Description...........85V SL 91H SL
UTQG..............................480 A A 400 A A
Load Max.........................1135 lbs. 1135 lbs.
Inflation Max....................51 psi 51 psi
Tread Depth.....................10/32" 10/32"
Tire Weight......................17 lbs. 21 lbs.
Rim Width Range...............5.5-7" 6-8"
Meas. Rim Width................6" 7"
Sect. Width........................7.9" 9.2"
Tread Width.......................6.5" No data present WTF.gif
Overall Diam.....................23.4" 23.9"
Revs Per Mile....................888 869 the 205/15-50s are 899

I ran the Kumho ASTs and hated them. Wore fast, great dry weather traction, would not stick in wet to save your soul. These where on a Nissian Sentra Spec V so higher power FWD car, which contributed to tire wear. And if you got in a little snow, forget it.

I have taken Generals through 4" of the white death with out issue. And I turn the traction control off on the Jetta in the snow and ice. If I needed tires on my new to me Subby they would be the Generals. Its a bargain of a tire, for the performance you get.

I wold also stay away from the Furzion's crappiest tire I have ever been on. Got them off a wrecked Jetta GLI, I think I know why he lost control and rolled the car off the highway. That was a sucky set of tires.

You also did not list the Dunlop's in your choices, they will wear fast, but a very good tire, much better than the Kumhos. On a 914 the tire wear should be like the Miata, no existent.

Doubt I helped you just trying to let you know my experiences. I drive a ton, so I get the benefit of trying lots of tires. My entire fleet rides on Generals right now.
DBCooper
Good point, my experience with tires is entirely dry weather, and in fact the XS means "extreme summer" and is a different model than what you're talking about. I don't drive in the wet since that's rare here anyway, but not where you live.
brant
I run the same general in a 225/50.
I like it a lot

But I had to cut my fenders on my car. I wouldn't run a 225 on a stock fender without cutting
bradtho
the general web site (and tirerack) says the only 15" size they offer in the AS-03 is a 195/55.
brant
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 15 2013, 01:21 PM) *

the general web site (and tirerack) says the only 15" size they offer in the AS-03 is a 195/55.

I just realized that I'm running these on 16 boxster rims.. and hadn't even thought about them not being 15's

first set of rims I've ever run that weren't 15's in my 25+ years of 914's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.