Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 1.8L Save or Parts car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
I bought the 74 1.8L FI yesterday after Jim H posted it here in 914world. So when I check at the car and the previous owner (Mark - a very nice guy. currently has a 914-6 project but not a member yet with 914world) showed up just to give me more details about the car. My concern if I will save this car, how much and how hard/easy to get a title since the previous owner did not have any title when he got it several years ago.

Pictures coming....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Rust is the key. Hell hole and longs. Nothing that can't be made right here I can see so far.
ndfrigi
I believe the long from the inside specially driver side looks very solid but passenger side maybe okay too but I will try to remove the carpet this week and also try to remove rocker panels too for better sight.

Thank you for the comments.

God bless!
ThePaintedMan
That's a keeper, at least by East Coast standards! Need pictures of the hell hole and underneath the passenger rocker panel to be sure, though.
mepstein
Solid tar doesn't mean a thing. It's what's under the tar that counts. Scrape the tar from the floor, pull the rockers, poke the hell hole, scrape the seam sealer at the back of the trunk and in front of the doors, check the pedal support under the pedal cluster, remove the bumpers. Get aggressive with a screwdriver to the passenger side rear suspension console. Then decide if you want a project
jimkelly
if you are removing the interior floor pan tar - it comes out like butter with a heat gun and a scrapper.
ndfrigi
Thanks for all the suggestions/comments!
I will try digging more on the body parts as mentioned above.
Update of the status this week.

God bless you members!

Valy
If you part it, I want the seats.
2mAn
so Ive been in touch with Noel (ndfrigi) about this car and I think I might buy it. Price isnt bad, but he is removing the seats, backpads, center cushion, gauges, the heat exchanger & muffler.

The car is complete, though Im a little worried about the passenger side long and rust hole. He says the front & rear fenders need repair, the jack hole along the side panels need replacement and that the rear trunk needs realignment.

I have an extra Recaro SE seat I can install so that I can sit on something and I have an idea for the gauges, but Im more concerned with the repair and replacement work.

Does anyone want to come see it with me this Saturday to offer some advice? I had planned on installing a watercooled VW motor, but I found a buyer for it so I might just try to get this setup going (of course I would need a muffler first!)

thoughts?
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 21 2013, 12:01 PM) *

so Ive been in touch with Noel (ndfrigi) about this car and I think I might buy it. Price isnt bad, but he is removing the seats, backpads, center cushion, gauges, the heat exchanger & muffler.

The car is complete, though Im a little worried about the passenger side long and rust hole. He says the front & rear fenders need repair, the jack hole along the side panels need replacement and that the rear trunk needs realignment.

I have an extra Recaro SE seat I can install so that I can sit on something and I have an idea for the gauges, but Im more concerned with the repair and replacement work.

Does anyone want to come see it with me this Saturday to offer some advice? I had planned on installing a watercooled VW motor, but I found a buyer for it so I might just try to get this setup going (of course I would need a muffler first!)

thoughts?

I saw this car for sale and I knew it was a great deal just for the parts. Thats certainly why the buyer took it, needing seats, interior parts, etc.. The rest definitely looks useable/fixable. Car will be driveable with some inexpensive used race seats, or others. There's plenty of used seats available that can be redone with the kits available too. I just finished fixing up a 914-4. Harbor freight will be your friend for the welding, especially the $12 4 inch grinders. I used the $79 wire flux welder to fix the passenger inner firewall, jack plate, body panel insert over one tailight, repairs at front corners of the windsheild, and repairs in the front trunk rubber gasket channel. After the welding, I stripped the paint off the car, and got an original Zambezi Green repaint in two stage from One Day Paint in Laguna Hills. It's near perfect except for a few tiny dings I didn't get out in the prep work. A year after purchase and only couple months after paint I displayed the car at the PCA Concours at Dana Point. It got lots of attention. Car showed up in photos in PCA Pandemonium magazine. The car came from its second owner in Huntington Beach, in two colors, half primer, and needing rustoration and appearance work. This car in Cypress looks like it needs less welding, but some similar body work, rubber, and paint. I think it's definitely worth it. Now we're autocrossing the green Zambezi, It's cheaper than K-1 speed, 12 timed laps for $65. Now I'm looking for harnesses, harness bar, race seats,etc...and more motor...
2mAn
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Nov 21 2013, 11:56 AM) *

I saw this car for sale and I knew it was a great deal just for the parts. Thats certainly why the buyer took it, needing seats, interior parts, etc.. The rest definitely looks useable/fixable. Car will be driveable with some inexpensive used race seats, or others. There's plenty of used seats available that can be redone with the kits available too. I just finished fixing up a 914-4. Harbor freight will be your friend for the welding, especially the $12 4 inch grinders. I used the $79 wire flux welder to fix the passenger inner firewall, jack plate, body panel insert over one tailight, repairs at front corners of the windsheild, and repairs in the front trunk rubber gasket channel. After the welding, I stripped the paint off the car, and got an original Zambezi Green repaint in two stage from One Day Paint in Laguna Hills. It's near perfect except for a few tiny dings I didn't get out in the prep work. A year after purchase and only couple months after paint I displayed the car at the PCA Concours at Dana Point. It got lots of attention. Car showed up in photos in PCA Pandemonium magazine. The car came from its second owner in Huntington Beach, in two colors, half primer, and needing rustoration and appearance work. This car in Cypress looks like it needs less welding, but some similar body work, rubber, and paint. I think it's definitely worth it. Now we're autocrossing the green Zambezi, It's cheaper than K-1 speed, 12 timed laps for $65. Now I'm looking for harnesses, harness bar, race seats,etc...and more motor...

Thanks for the reply Mark, Im definitely leaning towards getting it running with the current motor and going a different route than I originally planned. I am pretty impressed with the aircooled motors and figure I will be driving the car sooner than if I tried to add a radiator.

I have this seat with Ive lugged around forever and think it would fit the interior perfect, but I dont know that its tall enough. Im not worried about me, Im fairly short (5'6") but Im more worried about my head possibly hitting stuff behind me.

IPB Image

As far as paint/ bodywork goes, this will all be new to me. I think this car was meant to be for me because Im in the process of selling my 77 VW Rabbit that was white/ burgundy and brown when I got it and sanded it all down, primed and repainted it the original color, Phoenixrot! Its almost the same story as this car...

BEFORE (mid sanding, at an autox)
IPB Image

AFTER
IPB Image

anyways, once the rabbit is sold and I have my 914, the project should really move along
boogie_man
That one looks to be a pretty good car to re-do back to orange even. You'll have
lots of help, and you'll save a pretty darn good chassis IMO.....
gothspeed
It looks good smile.gif!!! As long as you have receipts for it ..... go to the DMV and check the status of the car ..... they will tell you what to do next .... which may include making an appointment with the local CHP so they can verify the VIN numbers ..... CHP will sign off on it, then you go back to DMV with your signed/stamped papers and pay for your registration and new plates smile.gif!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.