Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone try donating a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worktheweb
wacko.gif
My wife and I have decided that living in Northern VA with 5 cars and 1 cycle is costing us too damn much. Those of you fellow NoVAns can appreciate personal property tax and insurance and such.

Anyway I have to lose 3 cars soon and the 914 is one of the three. I'm wondering if anyone has tried donating a 914 to Purple Heart or one of the other charitable organizations. If so, how do you value the car? NADA lists 3 prices for a 1973 2.0 914:
$2,925 (low retail), $4,150 (average retail), and $5,400 (high retail). I know that after 2004 the IRS is reworking the auto deduction laws so this is the last year to get a favorable deduction.

I'm looking at deducting it vs. selling it just for expediancy. However if someone wants to buy it here's the specs;

1973 2.0L w/~78K miles
fiberglass flares
new Kumho tires
new brakes (19mm MC, front calipers, all hoses, all pads, rebuilt rears, new parking brake cables)
rebuilt Dellorto 45s
recent tuneup (runs good but needs something other than the 009 distributor that's on it)
new CB performance fuel pump and pressure regulator
SS heat exchangers
center console
POR15'd floor panels
bad white paint job
brown interior currently stacked on car except for door panels which are installed!
rust around windshield
other stuff as I remember

I need to get $3K for it which means I eat about $3K in parts/repair costs but I get rid of it. You other 914 owners know the drill on that one... I found a picture from 2001 but I'll post something newer after I get home if anyone is interested.
nebreitling
looks like a nice ride -- please try selling it to someone who knows something about it and will try to keep it on the road. if that doesn't work, then sure, donate it.

sometimes 914's need a little charity too wub.gif
Joe Bob
Do a quick and dirty no reserve sale on ebay.....
scooter311
Geez really sounds like something I'd be into to buy if I could. Also, too bad that "Zeekman" dude is on the wrong side of the country it sounds better than the one he's looking at.

I hope someone into 914s nabs it, good luck whatever ya do!
STL914
I've donated several cars, no 914s, in the past, and always listed the Blue Book value on my tax returns. This saved me the hassle of trying to either sell the car or pay someone to take it off my hands and at the same time privided something of value to the chosen charity.

If you decide to donate your car at the BB value, please keep in mind, that this not a tax credit, but a tax reduction based on your taxable rate. You may see about $1000 from a $4000 donation based on a 25% tax rate.

The sad thing about donating a 914 is not knowing how it will end up.
TheCabinetmaker
The only way to get the max charity deduction is to sell the car and donate the cash to the charity. Better for you, and for them. Better for the car and better for the buyer too cause it goes to a loving home.
DJsRepS
Donate money keep the car or off it to a younger family member! Man I wish I could have troubles like deciding what car to donate. Here is my $400 daily driver in Sarasota Fl and my $16,000 dollar 2lot home don't look much better.
mharrison
You have an e-mail.....

I sent one requesting more information and some pics....

-Matt
JmuRiz
I would say try and sell the car, if you donate it it'll probably get scrapped or something. Not sure they'd even take a car that old would they?
rebuilt Dellorto 45s

Niiice, those would go great on a big 4 idea.gif
skline
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 16 2004, 07:18 AM)
I would say try and sell the car, if you donate it it'll probably get scrapped or something. Not sure they'd even take a car that old would they?
rebuilt Dellorto 45s

Niiice, those would go great on a big 4 idea.gif

agree.gif The Dells alone have gone for almost $700 on Ebay. That is one of the best flowing carbs you can get for the Type 4. I ran them on all of my cars. They are great.
JmuRiz
yep, i was hoping he'd end up parting the car out and I could get those Dells, and local to boot!
Rhodes71/914
Here is my take on donating a 914....

I bought my car on ebay. The seller really didn't know what he had and only had a 2 sentence description and 2 pictures. I took a risk and it paid off. Turns out they bought the car at an auction and I think rallied it for a while until it died and they couldn't get it to run.

Through some paperwork that I got with the car I was able to contact the owner that donated the car. Seems he had it for almost 10 years and it was his baby. Same with the person he bought it from.

When I went to get the car it was at a diesel truck repair yard and was with some other cars that looked like auction purchases adn they weren't pretty. Who knows what would have happened to that car.

Bottom line IMHO is if you care what happens to your 914 sell it to somebody that really wants it.
Marlow
I used to live in Springfield but moved to Manassas a few years ago.

Keep the 914 and do this . . ..

Register as an Antique Vehicle. No more emissions/safety inspections. No personal property tax as Antique and the County sticker is free too. It's basically a free permanent registration. You do not have to reregister every year, just once. Get Antique insurance (I pay about $75 a year for $6500 agreed value).

You'll be limited to the mileage you can drive each year (my insurance covers up to 2500 miles/year) but I've never gotten near my limit (warm/sunny weather car only).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.