Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I have a couple of exhaust gaskets that are seated pretty good. Anyone have any tips for getting them out without doing damage to the head flange? Engine is assembled.

Thanks
John
malcolm2
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 15 2013, 10:39 AM) *

I have a couple of exhaust gaskets that are seated pretty good. Anyone have any tips for getting them out without doing damage to the head flange? Engine is assembled.

Thanks
John

You mean the large oval copper washers between the exhaust port and the header? Try a pick. the pick kit comes with straight, and several angled ones. Try 90 deg. one. poke it between the head and the copper and pull down.
wndsnd
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 15 2013, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 15 2013, 10:39 AM) *

Thanks
John

You mean the large oval copper washers between the exhaust port and the header? Try a pick. the pick kit comes with straight, and several angled ones. Try 90 deg. one. poke it between the head and the copper and pull down.

Exactly,

Yeah, I have a pick set and have been picking away, can't seem to get it started.

r_towle
Dave dyer posted a great idea.
Take a cold chisel or a large flat screwdriver and put it in the middle of the long leg of the copper crush gasket.
Hit it hard enough to kink the copper piece, might need to do both sides.
Then use a pick to remove.
pilothyer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2013, 02:59 PM) *

Take a cold chisel or a large flat screwdriver and put it in the middle of the long leg of the copper crush gasket.

Just make sure you are actually looking at a copper seal and not just copper residue left in the exhaust port....would be a shame to ruin an otherwise good head.
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2013, 03:59 PM) *

Thanks Rich,

I missed Dave's post. That sound like a plan. Congratulations on winning the Rally as well.

John
914_teener
HF has a great pick set....it has one with a 90 angle that is perfect for taking those gaskets out.
Bartlett 914
I once used a dremel and drilled a small hole mostly through on one side. I used snap ring pliers and bent the ring towards the middle. It came out easy then.
Dion
I used a small pry bar from HF just leaned on it with a little pressure
and popped right out. Used the "ovoid" end.
Item #68339 @ http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Pry+bar
wndsnd
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 15 2013, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2013, 03:59 PM) *

Thanks Rich,

I missed Dave's post. That sound like a plan. Congratulations on winning the Rally as well.

John

Chisel didn't work. Think I will try the dremmel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.