Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for black mirror ideas Post them here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
This car needs black mirrors. When I got it it had black flag mirrors on it. They are really big. I don't care for the size. I'm looking for another option that I can bolt in the factory location and use the factory holes. I spent a lot of time working these doors and welding up the big holes that were drilled in the door tops for the flag mirrors.

I have a couple sets of factory mirrors. I wouldn't try to paint them. They would surely chip. I thought about having a set powder coated. Anyone have any success with that?
Steve
I still like the Vitaloni baby turbo mirrors. Quick and easy to install and there black.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 15 2013, 11:48 AM) *

I still like the Vitaloni baby turbo mirrors. Quick and easy to install and there black.

Those are like what are on mine now, which is why I refuse to post pictures of my car. And I have yet to find a good adjustment for them that provide any useable rearward vision. They are the mullet of rearview mirrors…
Steve
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 15 2013, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 15 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Those are like what are on mine now, which is why I refuse to post pictures of my car. And I have yet to find a good adjustment for them that provide any useable rearward vision. They are the mullet of rearview mirrors…

agree.gif
Mirrors are like seats, I am never totally happy with them and want to try something different. Regarding the baby turbo mirrors, I remember drilling out the sides to make them lay flat better for better visibility.
However that was a long time ago. I have had 964/993 aero mirrors on my car for years. I am still debating if I am happy with them. Same with the seats. I am currently using a GTS Leather Lemans seats. Nice quality but kind of tight and hard to get in and out of.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 15 2013, 01:46 PM) *

This car needs black mirrors. When I got it it had black flag mirrors on it. They are really big. I don't care for the size. I'm looking for another option that I can bolt in the factory location and use the factory holes. I spent a lot of time working these doors and welding up the big holes that were drilled in the door tops for the flag mirrors.

I have a couple sets of factory mirrors. I wouldn't try to paint them. They would surely chip. I thought about having a set powder coated. Anyone have any success with that?

No, you cannot.
Use stock mirrors or you will lose points, and that car can win.

smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2013, 02:48 PM) *

No, you cannot.

smile.gif

agree.gif but I think I am going to either anodize them or powder coat them black. When you see the final product you'll see what I mean.
Madswede
I painted mine black (just running with one). I know it'll get chipped, but then so will any other part of entire front end. Seems a fact of life to me, but powder coating does sound interesting if a bit difficult getting the actual mirror out.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Madswede @ Sep 15 2013, 03:34 PM) *

I painted mine black (just running with one). I know it'll get chipped, but then so will any other part of entire front end. Seems a fact of life to me, but powder coating does sound interesting if a bit difficult getting the actual mirror out.

The mirrors come apart. I just thought maybe someone stumbled onto a nice small mirror that bolted to the factory location that is black.
StratPlayer
stock,,, wrinkle powder coating
rick 918-S
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Sep 15 2013, 03:50 PM) *

stock,,, wrinkle powder coating

Hmmm idea.gif I like the idea. biggrin.gif
ben*james

+1.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2013, 12:48 PM) *

No, you cannot.

smile.gif

r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 15 2013, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Sep 15 2013, 03:34 PM) *

The mirrors come apart. I just thought maybe someone stumbled onto a nice small mirror that bolted to the factory location that is black.

I believe the holes and the angle are very unique.
But...
You may luck out with some of the vintage 356 or beetle mirrors...
They liked to use the same bolts etc on the early cars, you never know.

Rich
StratPlayer
Stock
MoveQik
I kept the stock mirror but rattle canned it black. It looks perfect and no chips after two years. I also have the black rubber windshield trim and I blacked out the aluminum by the wing window glass. I like the look personally. smile.gif
effutuo101
got this set from a hot rod shop.
effutuo101
if you decide to anodize, let me know how it works out. I need to get my door handles and trunk latch done. powder coat is to thick for it to look right and work.
jaxdream
Have you thought about Fiero mirrors ??? Might not look too bad .....YMMV

Jack
rick 918-S
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 15 2013, 06:36 PM) *

I kept the stock mirror but rattle canned it black. It looks perfect and no chips after two years. I also have the black rubber windshield trim and I blacked out the aluminum by the wing window glass. I like the look personally. smile.gif

I like the blacked out trim look. I can't decide. I have black center 92's with polished lips, I painted the windshield trim black. The sail trim is black. I could leave the side trim bright and the mirrors bright with chrome bumpers or go all black including the bumpers. idea.gif confused24.gif
scotty b
black it all out. IMO Black trim and mirrors + chrome bumpers wouldn't blend together as well as blacking or body coloring the bumpers
scotty b
smile.gif I'd go body color. Black is too much of a black mass on either end
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 15 2013, 05:50 PM) *

Whatever you do that is the color I want. Ravena green, or something else?
MoveQik
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 15 2013, 07:26 PM) *

black it all out. IMO Black trim and mirrors + chrome bumpers wouldn't blend together as well as blacking or body coloring the bumpers

Damn...I should have read that advice earlier.
rjames

agree.gif
914junkie
I had Gen II Mazda MX5 mirrors on my car and thought they looked and worked great. They mount well, have good rear vision and look similar to stock Porsche Aero mirrors. I think I paid $40 for a nice used set.
carr914
I've got a Pair of 993/964 Mirrors I want to sell
DBCooper
I have stock mirrors powder coated a satin black. Unfortunately no photos and the car isn't here, but they look like what Stratplayer and MoveQik posted and work great. I like them anyway, prefer the black to stock.

bulitt
2006 Pontiac solstice.....Dana

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Chris H.
The current MX-5 Miata mirrors look pretty good too. Slightly more rounded. Might go that way myself.
scotty b
I think a lot of you are missing something from the original post

I'm looking for another option that I can bolt in the factory location and use the factory holes.

Moveqik...it's called personal preference. Hence me typing IMO.
KELTY360

agree.gif

Body color bumpers piratenanner.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 16 2013, 07:47 AM) *

Moveqik...it's called personal preference. Hence me typing IMO.

My comment was a shot of sarcasm rolleyes.gif
mr914
I've got a set of Vitaloni baby turbo mirrors sitting on the shelf
bigkensteele
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 15 2013, 06:28 PM) *

smile.gif I'd go body color. Black is too much of a black mass on either end

Or body colored valences/rockers with black bumpers...

Click to view attachment
Jon H.
I have Vitaloni Californian mirrors. They came with the car so I'm not sure if they use the stock holes, but it looks like it.

Click to view attachment

Jon H.
.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.