Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED gauge lights installed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Finally had the time this weekend to get these installed.
thumb3d.gif

Please ignore the banter between me and my girlfriend.
biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVGQIDV7Ch4

Mike Bellis
smilie_pokal.gif
Mblizzard
Looks good. Love mine and they are even better when driving and seeing the tach feed back. This is certainly an upgrade that is worth it!
Krieger
Very nice! Depending on your mood you select the color?
76-914
I like the "$" sign. Well placed!
timothy_nd28
Looks good, now we need to do this same setup for the 914limo!
r_towle
sweet..

I got mine in the car...just need to find the time to plug them in.

Aaaa dashboard...my least favorite thing to do on this car.

rich
914Timo
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 16 2013, 04:11 PM) *

I like the "$" sign. Well placed!

rolleyes.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif I like that too !! first.gif
SirAndy
I haven't driven it at night yet, but i did notice that i get a distracting reflection of the gauges on my windshield.
Never really noticed this before but now that the gauges actually light up, it's right in my line of sight.

I'm guessing it's because of my 911 style dash. The little "hump" above the gauges is not deep enough to block all the gauge light.
dry.gif
monkeyboy
Mine are definitely bright, but I don't get it on the windshield.

Try using the remote to dim them. I dropped mine down a bit to make them less noticeable.
Mblizzard
Yes they are bright! I guess it is just so shocking when compared to the stock that you start to notice things like reelection. But the dim function on the remote should limit the reflection.
timothy_nd28
So the light is being reflected from the back of the steering wheel towards the windshield? I'm not familiar with the getty dash setup, but could you add some spacers between the frame and the gauge holder for the top screws? This would change the angle slightly, and possibly fix the problem. Or, maybe paint the underside of this hump a flat black?

It's a odd problem, nevertheless a problem we should figure out before the car is driven.
SirAndy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 16 2013, 02:03 PM) *
So the light is being reflected from the back of the steering wheel towards the windshield?

No. The light of the gauges goes straight up and hits the windshield at the same height as my eyes.

The Getty 911 dash has a similar hump over the gauges as the stock 914 dash to prevent just that but it looks like it's not going far enough towards the driver to block all the light.

I can see about 1/2 to 1/3 of the bottom of my gauges reflected on my windshield, right in my line of sight.

popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 16 2013, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 16 2013, 02:03 PM) *
So the light is being reflected from the back of the steering wheel towards the windshield?

No. The light of the gauges goes straight up and hits the windshield at the same height as my eyes.

The Getty 911 dash has a similar hump over the gauges as the stock 914 dash to prevent just that but it looks like it's not going far enough towards the driver to block all the light.

I can see about 1/2 to 1/3 of the bottom of my gauges reflected on my windshield, right in my line of sight.

popcorn[1].gif

Get brighter headlights... biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
Sounds like shoddy work, I'd send them back and demand a full refund! blink.gif

Can you isolate which gauge is projecting light up?
JRust
Yeah the getty dash doesn't have enough of a lip. You can either add a little something on the bottom side of the dash. Probably only need it to extend an inch or so
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 16 2013, 08:50 PM) *
You can either add a little something on the bottom side of the dash. Probably only need it to extend an inch or so

That's what i was thinking. A 1" strip along the top side of the hump should be enough ...

Maybe the 911 windshield is slanted differently? Or the dash is further back in a 911?
idea.gif
Black22
See what happens when you put assdragger parts into our fine automobiles! You fuch up the design! happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Black22 @ Sep 16 2013, 09:40 PM) *

See what happens when you put assdragger parts into our fine automobiles! You fuch up the design! happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

Exactly ... poke.gif biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Black22
blink.gif drooley.gif
timothy_nd28
If somehow we can harness this unintended light shining on your windshield and funnel it into a Princess Leia hologram... idea.gif
DBCooper
His car is nicknamed "Princess Leia"? Well there's the problem right there.

worn
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 16 2013, 09:03 PM) *

If somehow we can harness this unintended light shining on your windshield and funnel it into a Princess Leia hologram... idea.gif

I thought it was heads up display. Just look at it upside down.

Do you need to take apart the gauges?
ben*james
Well?...popcorn[1].gif did the dimmer work?
SirAndy
I haven't had time to deal with the reflection yet. I drove it only twice at night since and it's pretty distracting even with the intensity turned down.

I just want to make clear that this has nothing to do with the quality of the LED light install.
The problem is the design of the Getty 911 dash that allows the bottom 1/3 of the gauges to be reflected onto the windshield.

When i get the time, i will try an additional 1" lip above the gauges. That should be enough ...
shades.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 9 2013, 01:58 PM) *

I haven't had time to deal with the reflection yet. I drove it only twice at night since and it's pretty distracting even with the intensity turned down.

I just want to make clear that this has nothing to do with the quality of the LED light install.
The problem is the design of the Getty 911 dash that allows the bottom 1/3 of the gauges to be reflected onto the windshield.

When i get the time, i will try an additional 1" lip above the gauges. That should be enough ...
shades.gif

Agreed on the lights. It's not a product problem, it's an application issue. Thanks agree.gif
timothy_nd28
In your opinion, should this conversion be offered to the 911 types, or will they suffer the same problem you are having?
SirAndy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 9 2013, 03:26 PM) *
In your opinion, should this conversion be offered to the 911 types, or will they suffer the same problem you are having?

Someone with a 911 should be able to tell you that for sure but if the 911 had the same problem people would have been complaining to Porsche about it for the last 50 years.
shades.gif

My guess is that one of the following is true:

- The 911 windshield has a different slant
- The 911 dash is in a different location with regards to the windshield
- The Getty 911 dash for the 914 has the cluster tilted forward too much

popcorn[1].gif
timothy_nd28
I would really like to know the answer. Does anyone own a 911 on this site that is willing to let me mod their gauges? I'll do it for free popcorn[1].gif
timothy_nd28
This guinea pig/volunteer must have a type 2 clock. The type one's just don't come apart.
Click to view attachment
ben*james
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif barf.gif
r_towle
Pick me, I have an 84 911 with stupid weak bulbs.
I also have a new set of 914 gauges....as you know.
timothy_nd28
If you have a type 2 clock, you're the winner, again biggrin.gif
r_towle
I have a clock....which works when it feels like it...
Not sure what type
timothy_nd28
Being that you have a 1984 model, I have a feeling that it can be disassembled. Just to be sure, yank the clock out and post a pic on here.
r_towle
Will do
r_towle
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 9 2013, 10:37 PM) *

Being that you have a 1984 model, I have a feeling that it can be disassembled. Just to be sure, yank the clock out and post a pic on here.

Stupid question.
Is this just a grab, wiggle and pull thing to get the gauges out, or do I have to take out the faceplate and do some actual work?

Still driving her, actually heading out today for a fall foliage cruise....

Rich
timothy_nd28
I'm not familiar with the 911 setup. There should only be 2 wires and a couple lamp sockets tethering it to the wiring harness. I imagine you should be able to pull just the clock out without any issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.