Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: amazing how much bondo and paint can come off one door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
pic
r_towle
that door looks like it has had previous dent removal done already.

rich
Elliot Cannon
They used finishing nails?? lol-2.gif
scotty b
welcome to my world mellow.gif
rick 918-S
I forgot to mention in your paint removal thread that I use a heat gun and a scraper too. That works nice.
timothy_nd28
If this was Gas Monkey garage, they would clear coat it and call it good blink.gif
jimkelly
my expectation is the whole car is like this under the magic bondo headbang.gif

either it has been repaired before by a PO or some dude at the 914 factory was about to quit and took it out on my car idea.gif

this car is going to be function over form - way over form driving.gif

I will strip one panel at a time (it is noisey and dusty, my neighbors are gonna complain for sure, but there is no way i can do this IN my garage) and slather gloss smoke grey rustoleum on each panel for rust protection and so I know there is one layer of paint over the wacked out metal and so I know what it will take to get it down to mostly metal again.

Sleepin
It makes me very afraid to see what is under my paint... blink.gif

Thanks for cheering me up Jim! dumbass.gif poke.gif biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
You would of been better off clear coating. Painting over Rustoleum will leave undesired results.
jimkelly
I started to do the same to one rear fender in the past and rattle can cleared it - the problem with this is that when I sand it off, it will be harder to be sure I sanded all the clear off. it will be easier to sand off a color is my thinking.
r_towle
yah know...that door might be worthwhile replacing with a better door.

Let me see what I have in the back, but it may be quicker for you to start with a door that is a bit more straight.

rich
jimkelly
rich - I agree - my plan when budget allows - is to get a set of complete late door assys.
r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 16 2013, 01:25 PM) *

rich - I agree - my plan when budget allows - is to get a set of complete late door assys.

Those later or early doors?

Rich
'73-914kid
Just went through a similar thing Jim.. previous owner had the fenders pulled and to account for the welds and unevenness they pretty much slather on 5/16 to 1/2 inch of Bondo and just sanded it flat and sprayed it.. we removed all of it and the reality was that with 20 minutes with of hammer and dolley work on each side we ended up with about 1/16 inch max of filler on the welds.. some bodyshops just throw the bondo on...
7TPorsh
That's the same door?!
rick 918-S
Good link to Scottyb stuff in this thread too!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=171994&hl=
bembry
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 16 2013, 09:24 AM) *

If this was Gas Monkey garage, they would clear coat it and call it good blink.gif

Exactly--that's some cool Patina!!!

piratenanner.gif blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.