Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valance and Rocker Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I am about to paint my front and rear valances and my rocker panels. The ones I took off were gloss black on the valances and flat black on the rockers. What were they on original cars.
Tx
tod914
I know certain years had a textured finish on them, while others were smooth. Satin/Semi gloss black.
Im having mine sprayed by Paterak bro's. Ill ask John what paint he used. I know wurth makes a spray can paint that alot of people use. Suppose to be real durable and chip resistant.
Jeffs9146
I went with the textured look! I used Truck Line-a-bed paint.

Jeff
Jeffs9146
jonwatts
I've used SEM Chip Guard on the rocker panels and targa top. Good results after you figure out the best technique. It doesn't go on like a regular aerosol paint, it comes out of the can in heavy globs so it's best to loft it onto the surface in shorts bursts.

Your local auto paint supply stores should stock it.
tracks914
Textured look looks OK but I was hoping someone would know what the factory put on these. Is it also the same paint on the engine lid and targa top?
Lawrence
The few true "unrestored cars" that I've seen had a flat or semi-flat paint similar to Wurth on the rockers.

I used Wurth on my rockers and engine lid grille.

-Rusty
tracks914
Did the originals have that on the targa too?
Lawrence
The tops, 30 years later, were satin black with the pebbly finish.

-Rusty
MarkV
I painted my targa top valences & rocker panels. I went to an automotive paint store & had them mix a quart of satin black acrylic enamel. Automotive paint is expensive the paint, reducer & catalyst was $80.00. I put down a sheet of plastic & sprayed them in my garage. Use a respirator & don't do it w/ any children around. Automotive paint still has some lead in it.

I used a maroon Scotch-Brite pad on the top to ruff it up. My top wasn't missing any of the factory texture. The top looks great.

I also bought some clear SEM chip-guard that I was going to use on the rockers. I applied it to one of them & decided that I didn't like the textured look. Ended up just spraying them black w/ the same paint as the top.

They all came out so good that it makes the body of the car look like crap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.