Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Sport exhast, tail pipe size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
How much performance influence, if any, would the length, and diameter of the 2 exhaust pipes, on 911 Sport muffler? Would increasing from 2" exits to 3" have any effect?

Thanks,

Retro
Joe Bob
QUOTE(retrotech @ Dec 14 2004, 06:29 PM)
How much performance influence, if any, would the length, and diameter of the 2 exhaust pipes, on 911 Sport muffler? Would increasing from 2" exits to 3" have any effect?

Thanks,

Retro

Depends on the motor......some injected models like back pressure. Carbed models with the right cam will wake up and appreicate a high flow....at the detriment to low end torque.
retrotech
I didn't think by the time exhaust passed through heat exchangers & muffler, that the tail pipes would effect much. The engine is 2.8 carburated 46mm Webers.
So you think it will effect my low end torque?
Thats not what I wanted to hear, I already bought these nice 3" Stainless pipes to weld to Sport muffler.

Retro
sixnotfour
Do like the import guys weld the bigger pipe over the smaller one. Make the inner one at little shorter. Or make it into a cookie cutter. Big stainlees and keep yur torque
burnout.gif
retrotech
Thank you for that suggestion, that is exactly what I am going to do! I appreciate the suggestion.
Joe Bob
That's one way....

btw, it also depends...like you mentioned on the whether you are running headers, HEs and in what style.
retrotech
Factory 914/6 heater boxes, that I will change to headers in the spring. Does that change the opinions?
Eric_Shea
I went with 2"

I don't think there's a difference between the factory heat exchangers and headers other than they have the heat boxes wrapped around them.

Once you do the Sport Muffler mod, there's not much in the way of baffling to slow you down so back pressure may be an issue.
retrotech
That is why cutting the 2" tail, 3" shorter, and install 3" stainless shield over it?
retrotech
Sorta like this, but with deeper rear skirt, and when 2" pipes are cut back 2" they won't show.
scooter311
Hey, anyone here do that to a 2.0 (4cyl) muffler?

Retrotech, that's exactly what I wanna do for mine. I was thinking I need a banana style/Bursch to hack
welder.gif

Hmmmm?
J P Stein
I went with one of these.... because of this. http://www.triadwestperformance.com/images.../CRANEY_TXT.htm
sixnotfour
If someone wants a Triad like JP.s I got one For Sale 140.00
Used about 3 months. Been sitting around 2 years.
Joe Bob
You have a PM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.