Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worthless 914 parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Some of our 914 owner brethren have a personal hoarding addiction and this thread is an effort to help them fight and conquer this terrible disease. lol3.gif

Some 914 parts have little to no value and are effectively worthless. These parts include ‘date coded original factory’ worn out maintenance replacement parts that most people would just replace and toss out like used rubber brake hoses, used valve cover gaskets and torn weatherstripping, but some will keep even these – for bragging rights. But primarily, the worthless parts in this category rarely break, wear out or need replacement for any reason. This thread is about these orphan parts, and why a sane person should just toss them out because saving them thinking they will fund your child’s college education someday is futile.

In general, a worthless 914 part is any part that is broken, worn out to the extent nothing on it is useable or salvageable, is not repairable or can be used even partially to repair another broken part. Recycle it or toss it, but don’t keep paying rent for its airspace. Another characteritic of these parts is that there is no need to worry about finding these when you truly need them, because someone somwhere will always have these.

Or…Plan B, if you really think these are valuable, post a FPYPS: Free Parts You Pay Shipping ad in the classifieds and see how long you hold onto them.

Let’s make a list of them, which includes their mounting hardware – Its OK to toss these puppies:

Torsion bar end caps and adjusters
Front strut housings
Interior door latch cups
Door window posts
“Fasten seat belt” lamp housing
Severely dented, bent, cut/torn/drilled aluminum trim
Front trunk hinge arms
Rear trunk hinge arms
Front wheel bearing grease caps
Fuel expansion tank overflow tube
MPS brackets
Front windshield hoop ski rack cup
Front windshield hoop index block
Cracked, faded, chipped exterior lighting lenses
Rear window glass
Carpeting if worn out, stained frayed or otherwise damaged
Drivers side sunvisor with torn/missing map pocket
Passenger side sunvisor with torn/missing mirror flap
1975-76 heat exchangers and parts
1975-76 exhaust/muffler/catalytic converters
1975-76 rubber bumper covers
Fresh air system and parts
Engine bay sound deadening pad
Original Speakers
Headlight motors
Front trunk springs
Front suspension crossmember - steel
Inside rear firewall sound deadener
1.7 motor and related parts
Door interior panels with speaker cutouts
Doors with speaker cutouts
Front trunk hood
Rear trunk hood
Seats
Front A-arms (w/o the sway bar tabs)
Rear control arms
Shifter lever boots
Shifter lever knobs with cracks/chips
Rear trunk torsion bars
Windshield wiper reservoirs

What can you add to this list? lol2.gif
rnellums
Stock used Engine sound deadening pad

Original Speakers

57lincolnman
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 17 2013, 06:53 PM) *

Some of our 914 owner brethren have a personal hoarding addiction and this thread is an effort to help them fight and conquer this terrible disease. lol3.gif

Some 914 parts have little to no value and are effectively worthless. These parts include ‘date coded original factory’ worn out maintenance replacement parts that most people would just replace and toss out like used rubber brake hoses, used valve cover gaskets and torn weatherstripping, but some will keep even these – for bragging rights. But primarily, the worthless parts in this category rarely break, wear out or need replacement for any reason. This thread is about these orphan parts, and why a sane person should just toss them out because saving them thinking they will fund your child’s college education someday is futile.

In general, a worthless 914 part is any part that is broken, worn out to the extent nothing on it is useable or salvageable, is not repairable or can be used even partially to repair another broken part. Recycle it or toss it, but don’t keep paying rent for its airspace. Another characteritic of these parts is that there is no need to worry about finding these when you truly need them, because someone somwhere will always have these.

Or…Plan B, if you really think these are valuable, post a FPYPS: Free Parts You Pay Shipping ad in the classifieds and see how long you hold onto them.

Let’s make a list of them, which includes their mounting hardware – Its OK to toss these puppies:

Torsion bar end caps and adjusters
Front strut housings
Interior door latch cups
Door window posts
“Fasten seat belt” lamp housing
Severely dented, bent, cut/torn/drilled aluminum trim
Front trunk hinge arms
Rear trunk hinge arms
Front wheel bearing grease caps
Fuel expansion tank overflow tube
MPS brackets
Front windshield hoop ski rack cup
Front windshield hoop index block
Cracked, faded, chipped exterior lighting lenses
Rear window glass
Carpeting if worn out, stained frayed or otherwise damaged
Drivers side sunvisor with torn/missing map pocket
Passenger side sunvisor with torn/missing mirror flap
1975-76 heat exchangers and parts
1975-76 rubber bumper covers
Fresh air system and parts

What can you add to this list? lol2.gif

Are earlier heat exchangers and part worth saving?

914itis
Fuse panel
Headlight motors
Rear window ( non defrost)
mrbubblehead
front trunk springs.
speed metal army
Oh god...Jeff is going to hate me here... unsure.gif
D-Jet. NLA parts, super annoying to troubleshoot and super limited to performance upgrades. confused24.gif
huh.gif

Jon H.
old brake rotors and brake pads.

jon
bulitt
front suspension crossmember - steel
front calipers- send em to Erc
Inside rear firewall sound deadener/rust collector
cracked/torn rubber trim
1.7 motor...unless Mark rejuvenates the market with a turbo option?

914forme
Okay so what I am really thinking is you producing the list because you have hoarded these specific items in an attempt to take over the 914 parts world by convincing all of us part hoarders to eliminate our stashes. happy11.gif

Then the suggestion to post adds for free parts plus shipping and then you will gather them up under new idenitites so we don't see your plans. Then consolidating them into your evil empire.

I'm onto you lol-2.gif

rhodyguy
heat control valves with broken springs and shoddy rivets. perhaps worth something to someone...door panels ruined back in the day for a set of $20 speakers. the doors that have the interior face hacked away to mount those same $20 speakers. holes for speaker wires in those doors...damn speakers. unless you have a broad buyers base, doors, F&R hoods in general. packing/boxing sucks. boxing, going to fedex for a quote that equals a kings ransom. shipping $ kills, but i just can't let them go scrap so i move them from here to there and back to here slap.gif ...insanity!!! screwy.gif
nathansnathan
I have seen most of the parts listed here for sale for hundreds of dollars, just saying. I have regretted almost everything that I've thrown out.
J P Stein
Yes, BUT I STILL NEED OUT SIDE MIRRORS.
rhodyguy
and the fs threads for those 'pieces of gold' get bumped repeatedly and then just fade away. just sayin'....
JRust
Spare 914 seats & targa tops. I suppose one of each is okay. You probably don't need 20+ dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 18 2013, 06:13 AM) *

Yes, BUT I STILL NEED OUT SIDE MIRRORS.

Andy pointed out that they can still be purchased new on German Ebay. I'm getting some when I finish my conversion.
Did anyone mention broken door handles, old synchro's, non-working clocks.
Mike Bellis
The headlight motors can be sold to the Ferrari guys for big $$$... Just sayin'
JeffBowlsby
lol-2.gif

Nice poke...but you can expect to see my FPYPS ad soon...

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 18 2013, 05:06 AM) *

Okay so what I am really thinking is you producing the list because you have hoarded these specific items in an attempt to take over the 914 parts world by convincing all of us part hoarders to eliminate our stashes. happy11.gif

Then the suggestion to post adds for free parts plus shipping and then you will gather them up under new idenitites so we don't see your plans. Then consolidating them into your evil empire.

I'm onto you

Chris H.
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 18 2013, 09:43 AM) *

Are you serious? I have a box full.
rhodyguy
HL motors...i wish. i think front (w/o the sway bar tabs) and rear control arms make the list. shifter boots too.

k
JeffBowlsby
List in first post updated...keep the suggestions flowing, these are great!

I disagree that the stock fusepanels and D-Jet parts should be tossed. there is absolutely nothing wrong with stock fusepanels unless they are damaged. Most/all D-Jet parts can be rebuilt or repaired and the demand for original D-Jet parts is strong.
ThePaintedMan
Rear trunk torsion bars. Windshield wiper reservoirs?
rhodyguy
and they make crappy wind chimes...
Dr Evil
Moldy ass carpet
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 18 2013, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 18 2013, 09:43 AM) *

Are you serious? I have a box full.

Yes, but I forget which model uses the same motor. I think it is the Daytona. I saw them do it on "Chasing Classic Cars". Same motor. Bolt on. NLA from Ferrari.

Here's one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-365-Headli...1e2&vxp=mtr

IPB Image

More evidence...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1386693
AZ914
75-75 Cali muffler w/cat converter
jimkelly
I am proud to say that I have recently, DE-HOARDED

except for a pile of freaking ecu's but they say a sucker is born everyday and we all know these things go bad on a regular basis biggrin.gif

rhodyguy
can't wait for the motors to start showing on ebay in ferrari parts. should be enuf to keep the all of the daytona's headlights popping up well into the next century.
JamesM
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 18 2013, 01:06 PM) *

I am proud to say that I have recently, DE-HOARDED

except for a pile of freaking ecu's but they say a sucker is born everyday and we all know these things go bad on a regular basis biggrin.gif

Feel free to send any known bad ones my way, I need them for a project and hate to gut good ones.

I mean ill take the good ones too, just would prefer bad ones!

-James

cwpeden
Used Clutch and throttle cables with good cable and bad housing.
Chris H.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 18 2013, 04:22 PM) *

can't wait for the motors to start showing on ebay in ferrari parts. should be enuf to keep the all of the daytona's headlights popping up well into the next century.

I'm just wondering if the owner of a Ferrari Daytona would put a NARP part on his/her car to save $250...even though they look pretty much exactly the same...I guess if there was no supply of "official" Ferrari ones it be an option.
JeffBowlsby
List in first post updated...great ideas!

The D-Jet ECU's are not valuable because most 914 owners seem to have an extra or two just in case. I don't think they should be tossed however...they are somewhat irreplaceable.
914forme
Okay Jeff, I went down opened my storage unit, and dumped out the first round of its your free if you pay shipping and cover Paypal fees. I know some of this stuff does not meet your list, yet it meets mine, one mans junk is another mans treasure.

beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif

My Jeff Bowlsby inspired cure me of my hoarding addiction ad.
JeffBowlsby
Attaboy Stephen...a true leader arises.

wink.gif

You were paying rent to keep this stuff? Congratulations on your release from bondage...
mankowski
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 18 2013, 06:17 AM) *

Spare 914 seats & targa tops. I suppose one of each is okay. You probably don't need 20+ dry.gif

Before anyone throws out a good condition tan seat, please let me know! My upholstery is ripped. Also, my targa top blew off one windy day this summer (long story) and partly damaged the front trim/bar. In the few years I've owned my 914, I've bought an ECU (from you, Jeff!) and a seat from another list members. Is this newbie missing something here?

Signed,

Your kids' college funder
jimkelly
jeff meant trashed seats - cause good cond seats are definitely NOT trash - and worth $100-$150 each i'd say.

because ecu's are known to RARELY go bad, they are not highly sought after.

there are good parts and bad parts and then there are - CORES - such as unknown cond, engines, transaxles, peddle assys, and calipers.
ripper911
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 18 2013, 12:20 PM) *

and they make crappy wind chimes...

Those can be rebuilt.
type47
bent engine carrier bar from a 2 L
rhodyguy
i know. i'm not going to spend a bunch of money on parts to fix and try to sell un-calibrated units on speculation. pointless.

k
reharvey
sunglasses.gif Thanks for reminding me how worthless some of my parts are. Cleaned out the shelves yesterday and filed up two trash containers with 914 stuff. Now I have more room to store the good parts.
JeffBowlsby
Everyone keeping an eye on that front suspension set-up in the classifieds? What are the odds that it will sell?

:thinking:
Drums66
.....Early steel Bumper's ?poke.gif (70' 74)(what Bumper's?) idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 19 2013, 12:30 PM) *

.....Early steel Bumper's ?poke.gif (70' 74)(what Bumper's?) idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif

Unless these early bumpers condition is beyond repair, most early steel bumpers are in demand and worth something to someone.
gms
front hoods, I have about 20
too expensive to ship and usually only replace in an accident
914forme
yes you pay in more than one way for keeping all this stuff. the true discipline comes when you don't add more stuff to fill the gap. Thats where I am right now, not ready to announce my new project, but starting to feel the itch to gather everything I "think I will need" lol

You constantly have to fight the addiction. Planning will help you, but it can't cure you. I have a full loft of stuff here to still go through, and an attic and garage full of stuff at my fathers.
r_towle
So everything in my parts room should be thrown out?

idea.gif
rhodyguy
bumpers in paint? shipping kills, esp ones with holes. i'll sell you the one i have listed jeff. biggrin.gif me paying to ship mps cores that might serviceable? money looser right from the start. some folks offer to pay the $11.65 it costs to ship a med flat rate filled with cores. depends on who you want to deal with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.