Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion on Remanufactured Parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
Does anyone have any experience with, or opinion on, remanufactured parts? I've been looking at some of the on-line parts vendors lately and a lot of them offer different reman items.

A good example would be brake calipers. They are offered completely rebuilt and refurbished, shipped to your door for the type of price that I've seen for used (not rebuilt) calipers.

Is there anything to look out for here?
ChrisFoley
Hi Paul,

What does it mean to be rebuilt and refurbished? Does the caliper get split to hone the cylinders?

Have you checked to see if these companies have stock on the shelf? There is probably a large core charge. Otherwise, and most likely, you will have to send them your calipers to be refurbished.
Their price is more or less the cost of labor and parts to disassemble, clean, (paint), replace seals, and rebuild.
The price of used calipers is based on availability.

wavey.gif
Jeff Krieger
Some rebuilt parts are available from Porsche and I would certainly trust them http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/classi...le?openDocument . I would only buy remanufactured parts from a trusted retailer who wouldn't want to harm their good reputation by selling cr@p. You could also have your local P-car mechanic rebuild some parts (like calipers) for you.
Aaron Cox
i bought a rebuilt rear brake caliper. ate the core charge mad.gif said my caliper was un-rebuildable
Part Pricer
Good questions.

Yes, the calipers have been split.

They are often in stock. I've seen either next day or 7 day delivery times.

Minimal core charges. Here are the prices I've seen:

Front caliper (unloaded) $40.19 [$1.00 core charge]

Front caliper (loaded) $57.72 [no core charge]

The loaded caliper includes new brake pads and the retaining springs and pins.

This is from the reman's website:

High Quality
100% Computer tested for quality and reliability.
Exclusive rust preventative process on cast iron units extends product life.
O.E. quality rubber boots and seals meet stringent S.A.E. performance specifications.
ABS units are remanufactured in a class 100,000 clean room to prevent contamination that causes failure.
Constrained layer metal shims are used on Loaded Calipers to eliminate noise and provide superior performance.

Premium phosphate coating
All cast-iron units are coated in an advanced five-step process. This high-tech process prevents rust for longer shelf and on-car life.
Aaron Cox
the fronts are cheap because they were shared w/ a vw 411....just wait till you have to buy a rear one!!!!!!muahahaha
Brad Roberts
Pelican and others use local shops down the street from them to reman them.

The front are pretty damn easy.. the rears are a different story.

I rebuild everything that I can... I DO NOT rebuild master cylinders.. not worth the liability.

B
Aaron Cox
rebuilding mc's wink.gif the rebuid kit costs the same amount as a new 17 or 19mm one! why would anyone do it?

failed mc? :gilloutine:
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 23 2003, 04:24 PM)
Pelican and others use local shops down the street from them to reman them.

The front are pretty damn easy.. the rears are a different story.

I rebuild everything that I can... I DO NOT rebuild master cylinders.. not worth the liability.

B

YEP! mueba.gif
Part Pricer
No one mentioned any concerns about the quality of reman parts. Is this not a concern?
ejm
Quaility varies with the rebuilder. For example, a good rebuilt alternator will have all new bearings, diodes, brushes and VR, and could be called "remanufactured". The cheap rebuilts will get the failed part replaced, cleaned, painted and a quick test. They never last as long.
kdfoust
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ May 23 2003, 04:12 PM)
<snip>
ABS units are remanufactured in a class 100,000 clean room to prevent contamination that causes failure.
<snip>

If I remember my clean room days properly a class 100,000 clean room isn't much other than no open doors to the outside and maybe (depends on the environment)filters on the air handling system. It's good and you've gotta have some standards/procedures to make that statement, but, don't think that the people doing this work are wearing space suits. ph34r.gif

Have fun,
Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.