Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 15" or 16" Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
I want to get another set of wheels for the white car, the 14" Fuchs are too limited on tire selection, plus too high RPM at freeway speeds, odometers off and so on.

Now the desicion, I've been offered a set of 16 x 7 Fuchs, but through my research if I understand right I would need just the right size tire then still have to pull the back fender a little to make them fit......if thats true, not sure I want to do that. (Narrow body car)

Then yesterday I came across a set of 15 x 6 Fuchs, both sets are in very good condition and about the same price.

Haven't done much research on 15" wheels, only have my iPhone this week, limited search ability.

So what do the experts say, which will fix my issues better, 15" or 16".....and fit my car the best.

Thanks

Jeff
914Sixer
16" will be easier to find tires.
gunny
Larger rims of the same style will weigh more = more mass. More rotating mass = more loss of Hp. You will find that most race cars go with smaller rims. If you’re not racing and don’t care about the small loss of Hp then larger rims tend to look better. If your worried about diameter you can get the same diameter tire for 15" or 16"
pcar916
agree.gif about tire selection. Also, the larger wheels will need a lower aspect ratio tire to keep the speedo in the same accuracy range. (Null if you use GPS as your speedo)

Make sure whichever of these you get that the offset is right for your car. If that doesn't eliminate one of them then get whichever makes you happy.

Good luck
effutuo101
If you opt for the 15's, let me know where I can pick up the 16'. I need the right p/n 16's for my project.
JStroud
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Sep 19 2013, 07:28 AM) *

Make sure whichever of these you get that the offset is right for your car.

Good luck

Ok now I'm going to show my lack of knowledge in this area....how do I determine the offset for my car, or is this a set measurement for all 914s...and how do you determine the offset for a wheel.

Thanks
Jeff
rick 918-S
This is a lengthy topic with several variables. But think about taking measurements from the disc face to the closest inner obstruction and closest outer obstruction. This will determine the offset of the wheel. (the difference in measurement from the outer rim to the inner rim from the mounting surface)

So if you have a 6" wheel and there is 1" more room from the disc face to the inside than there is to the outside you have a 1" offset. (hmm... I think) someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Anywho, be sure to measure before ordering wheels. I think someone has a link to a wheel chart showing what fits on our cars.

Then there's spacers that will center the wheel in the opening. That opens up the options but adds the replacement cost of wheel studs in place of bolts.

15" tires are very difficult to get in a staggered size. I had to move to 16" wheels to get tires for the Alien. The next time I tried to purchase tires they discontinued the rears I liked and I ended up having to purchase 4 tires to have a matching set. dry.gif

Wheels now a daze wacko.gif tend to be lighter than the old 15". So unsprung weight is usually better with 16" wheels.

Tires can be ordered in different heights to correct speedo readings or actually change gear ratios. You may want to consult with your favorite tire shop. They can get you into the tire that fits your needs. But you may need to talk to a performance tire guy. Not the guy that won't sell you anything that didn't come on the car.
DBCooper
I have 16x7's front and rear. They fit (215x50 tires) but the inner rear fender lip was trimmed and the fender pulled. Not bad, but I cracked the paint, my fault. I think they look better and the car's still narrow-bodied, but the wider choice of tires for 16's is the compelling reason for me.

If you decide not to go with those 16's let me know, I'd love to get an extra set for autocross tires.

BIGKAT_83
16/7 with 215/45/16 tires on all four corners
Click to view attachment

Bob

pcar916
QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 19 2013, 09:34 AM) *

... how do I determine the offset for my car,
... and how do you determine the offset for a wheel.

Here's a link to a page with lots of technical wheel stuff including offset, which is measured from the center-line of the wheel. With this you can make your own measurements, including your stock 914 wheels. However, if you are putting wider rims on the car the offset for the front, or the back, or both won't necessarily be the same.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

My car is a conversion so I don't know offhand what the offset of a stock car is and I can't get to the factory manuals quickly. Someone here will know.

BBS and Fuchs wheels I have use different spacers to get them to the correct placement in the wheelwells. Since 1994 I've put on the wrong spacers a couple of times. It's immediately apparent when the tire rubs either the inside of the wheelwells, or the fenders/front spoiler.
brant
Jeff. I agree with the above. But are you going with 5 bolt Fuchs? If so the 6 inch by 15 Fuchs always fit. 16x 7's usually fit and 15x7's might or might not fit.

If you only want 205 or smaller (195) tires you can definitely go with 6 inch wheels and maybe go with 7 x16 on a stock fender with no pulling or damage to paint

Porsche made 6inch wheels in 15 and 16
JStroud
Thanks for all the great replies and the picture. Thanks Rick, I understand about offset now. Sounds like the 16x 7's ( 5 lug )will fit with minimal fender massaging, haven't painted the car yet so not worried about the paint. And I do like the look.

So decision made the 16 x 7's, now I just have to wait for the guy selling them to find his new wheels. beer.gif

I'll keep the 14" Fuchs for the occasional AX.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff
JRust
QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 19 2013, 07:04 PM) *

So decision made the 16 x 7's, now I just have to wait for the guy selling them to find his new wheels. beer.gif
Jeff

I ran these with 215/45's with only the lip rolled with no problem. No pulling of the fenders. That was before I sold/traded them to Dean. If your lip is shaved or rolled you should have no problem. A set of 205/50's I think get' you close to stock size. Might be 205/55 but they should be no problem fitting. Just waiting for another Jeff to get me some pics dry.gif .
JStroud
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 19 2013, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 19 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Jeff

I ran these with 215/45's with only the lip rolled with no problem. No pulling of the fenders. That was before I sold/traded them to Dean. If your lip is shaved or rolled you should have no problem. A set of 205/50's I think get' you close to stock size. Might be 205/55 but they should be no problem fitting. Just waiting for another Jeff to get me some pics dry.gif .

Sounds good, now I'm getting excited....might have to make a trip to Oregon.
Thanks Jamie.

Jeff
JRust
Too bad I don't have one more 16x6. I have 3 16x6 Fuchs that were chrome I had blasted & powder coated black. Been keeping my eye's open for a single to make that a set. Hard to argue with the black centers & polished lips though drooley.gif . I like the look of the 7x16's better. The 6x16's are a no brainer to work with no lip rolling. I guess there are benefits to both
DBCooper
Just a heads-up. If you end up needing to pull the fenders do it after the car's been in the sun for a while, or use a heat gun to warm and soften the paint. I didn't and mine cracked.

JStroud
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 20 2013, 05:15 AM) *

Just a heads-up. If you end up needing to pull the fenders do it after the car's been in the sun for a while, or use a heat gun to warm and soften the paint. I didn't and mine cracked.

Thanks for the tip, probably at least have to roll them.

There's a set of 16 x 6 Fuchs on the Samba in San Diego if anyone's interested that was looking for 16" wheels, or Jamie has three lol-2.gif

Jeff

effutuo101
Have a link?
JStroud
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 20 2013, 07:36 AM) *

Have a link?

try this

Jeff
SKL1
Click to view attachment

Had Harvey redo these 16X6 Fuchs for the '73 I'm restoring. Put on 205-50-16's so no issues with clearance in the back.

Now I just have to finish the car!!
ConeDodger
16X6 are easy to find, relatively cheap, look great, don't require ANY modification to the fenders.

I would not bother with 16X7 Fuchs...
jtf914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 21 2013, 01:58 AM) *

16X6 are easy to find, relatively cheap, look great, don't require ANY modification to the fenders.

agree.gif I went through this same decision a few years ago, ended up with 16x6's and 205/50, of course my car was already painted...

Click to view attachment
JStroud
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Sep 21 2013, 06:12 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 21 2013, 01:58 AM) *

agree.gif I went through this same decision a few years ago, ended up with 16x6's and 205/50, of course my car was already painted...

Click to view attachment

Too late guys, already made the decision, and agreed to buy the 16 x 7's.

Jeff
JRust
Here are the 16x7's on my car before flares. They have 215/45's at the time on all 4 corners. Rear lips were shaved but not pulled. Cleared with no problems biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 21 2013, 08:00 AM) *

Here are the 16x7's on my car before flares. They have 215/45's at the time on all 4 corners. Rear lips were shaved but not pulled. Cleared with no problems biggrin.gif

Yup, I like that look.....but my cars not red, will they still fit lol-2.gif

The 7's have more depth....I like that.

I can feel a road trip brewing....... driving.gif

Jeff
DBCooper
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 20 2013, 10:58 PM) *

Excellent, more for me. If anyone has some that don't fit I'm looking for a spare set for dedicated autocross tires.

JRust
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 20 2013, 10:58 PM) *

16X6 are easy to find, relatively cheap

I think they are going up in price. They are the wheels people want to customize & make wider. They will be getting harder to find as time goes on. Better hold on to your stash Rob evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.