Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Suby Factory Manual
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I recently purchased a used Subaru factory manual to assist during my conversion. I bought an aftermarket one but none of those contain any info on the 6's so I had no choice but to buy the factory book. And all I can say is WOW! What a manual. First, if you stumble through wiring schematics like me you'd love this manual. I don't know what this style of mapping is called. It is not a flow chart like our Hayne's nor a schematic. It is well laid out and easily understood. Made me feel like a damned genius. biggrin.gif Then I stole a look at the diagnostics/CEL section and was totally blown away. This is so well done that a ditch digger could become a Subaru Tech overnite! The average shade tree mechanic, armed with one of these books could own and service/diagnose any Subaru. I'm giving serious thought to owning a complete Subaru now that I know how simple it is to service one. smilie_pokal.gif
jimkelly
awesome - thanks for the update !!!

drunk.gif
timothy_nd28
Would you mind scanning every page, and make a super PDF? biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
where did you find the manual? i picked up a clean 97' legacy outback awd wagon early in the summer. the haynes i bought leaves a lot to be desired.
stugray
I downloaded the BRZ service manual free from here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35279

I would assume that there would be one just like it for all Subaru models.
Maybe ask the OP of that thread if he has access to any other?
76-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2013, 07:50 AM) *

where did you find the manual? i picked up a clean 97' legacy outback awd wagon early in the summer. the haynes i bought leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll get that to you this evening. It's an automotive bookstore but I forget which one at the moment. Once you get one you'll wonder why they all aren't following this format.
skeates
Totally agree! I picked up a factory service manual for my 2010 outback and it is a very well put together document. Easy to follow and understand - much better than any of the aftermarket manuals that I've seen. It also happened that they started offering the EZ36 engine in the outbacks that year so now I have the factory service manual for the engine that will be going into my suby conversion! Two birds with one stone as they say driving.gif
914forme
Please let me know your manual secret, as I just picked up an SVX happy11.gif and would like a factory manual for it.

Might also like one for an impreza for a good transmission rebuild section. I'll need to reset my ring and pinion depth soon. confused24.gif
76-914
OK Kev and Stephen, here you go. it's www.carboagez.com Apparently automotive repair manuals is all they sell? The list several car brands I found them during a search on the bottom of the page in one of those obscure adds. I paid $73 for mine and now feel like I stole it. happy11.gif

EDIT: just checked, lots of SVX stuff around $32 each. Read carefully when selecting one as these are very specific manuals.
rhodyguy
thank you! i'll check it out.
JStroud
Thanks for posting this......just ordered the manual for my Suby motor piratenanner.gif

I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks Again
Jeff
76-914
Hey guys, after you receive your manual go thru the WI (wiring) section and tell me you don't feel like a genius. It took me about 20 min's to figure it out. Like an Iphone. You don't need instructions to figure it out. However, after a few weeks I slowed down enough to notice that the first few pages of the section even has directions. If you read these it will save you that "figuring out" part. Jeff, I enjoyed the Hell out of reading about your journey this month. You can travel in most any vehicle but the journey begins in a 914. thumb3d.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 21 2013, 07:07 AM) *

Jeff, I enjoyed the Hell out of reading about your journey this month. You can travel in most any vehicle but the journey begins in a 914. thumb3d.gif

Thanks I enjoyed doing it....except the vapor lock shades.gif can't wait for the next one.
Have always built my cars to drive, this one will get a few changes before the next long trip though. Ultimately the Suby car will be my long trip cruiser.....if I ever get it started. But with you, Chris and all the previous suby threads mine should be easy....you guys have done all the hard figuring already.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.