Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
I just replaced the bushing in my shifter and the one at the end nearest the tranny, I can get 2/3/4/5 but its a tight fit however I cant get 1st!!!!!!! What did I do wrong? I do get R gear. Bob
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 19 2013, 11:29 AM) *

I just replaced the bushing in my shifter and the one at the end nearest the tranny, I can get 2/3/4/5 but its a tight fit however I cant get 1st!!!!!!! What did I do wrong? I do get R gear. Bob

PM Dr Evil for his 31 pages of notes....in there is a great tutorial about the shift pattern and how to get it centered properly...don't forget about having the clutch adjustment right first though. See if you can get first when you're rolling forward about 4mph--if that works then it's the clutch adjustment for sure.
Bob L.
popcorn[1].gif

Tried adjusting my linkage last weekend and now have the same exact problem. I guess I'm not done yet. Keep adjusting till it's right. Dr evil's notes should get you through.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 19 2013, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 19 2013, 11:29 AM) *

PM Dr Evil for his 31 pages of notes....in there is a great tutorial about the shift pattern and how to get it centered properly...don't forget about having the clutch adjustment right first though. See if you can get first when you're rolling forward about 4mph--if that works then it's the clutch adjustment for sure.

I think the clutch is ok, how do I find these notes. Bob
Razorbobsr
Where do/how do I find these notes from the the good Dr. about setting up a shifter after changing the bushings. Bob
championgt1
PM Dr Evil. He will send you a copy.
jmalone
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Sep 20 2013, 06:34 AM) *

First adjust the clutch. As there is no synchro on 1st the clutch adjustment is critical there should be 3/4 to 1inch of free travel at the clutch pedal. Dr. Evil's notes can be accessed by using the search feature, try the Member Vender's forum or the Garage
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jmalone @ Sep 20 2013, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Sep 20 2013, 06:34 AM) *

First adjust the clutch. As there is no synchro on 1st the clutch adjustment is critical there should be 3/4 to 1inch of free travel at the clutch pedal. Dr. Evil's notes can be accessed by using the search feature, try the Member Vender's forum or the Garage

Clutch adjustment is good. Thanks Bob
rjames
Can you get into reverse? If not, you may just need to adjust your shifter so that you have more throw towards the left by doing the following:
Put the trans in neutral
Clamp the shift rod with something to keep it moving (wrench/vicegrips)
Loosen the bolt that that holds the shift rod to the shifter in the tunnel,
Keep the shift rod from moving, and move the shifter just a bit to the right.
Tighten bolt
worn
QUOTE(jmalone @ Sep 20 2013, 06:12 AM) *

As there is no synchro on 1st the clutch adjustment is critical

The clutch does need full play for 1st more than others it seems, but there is a synchro band on 1st.
worn
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 20 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Can you get into reverse? If not, you may just need to adjust your shifter so that you have more throw towards the left by doing the following:
Put the trans in neutral
Tighten bolt

agree.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 20 2013, 04:09 PM) *

Put the trans in neutral
Tighten bolt

Yes, I get reverse well. OK, will try that as well. Thanks Bob
rhodyguy
vice clamping the rear rod on both sides where it passes thru the engine support bar locks it well in the fore/aft plane
jimkelly
the adjustment on a tail shift set up is at the rear of the tunnel rod.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=701-00

on the side shift it is right under shifter, at front of tunnel rod. (pictured)
76-914
very, very small adjustments inside the tunnel; if it's the shifter. have you tried shifting it by hand, with the shifter disconnected? Watch the travel of the ball on the side shift plate thru all the gears and see if it's the same.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 20 2013, 06:23 AM) *

Where do/how do I find these notes from the the good Dr. about setting up a shifter after changing the bushings. Bob

Look for any post by him. There is a link to the notes in his signature block.

--DD
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2013, 06:35 PM) *

vice clamping the rear rod on both sides where it passes thru the engine support bar locks it well in the fore/aft plane

Going to take another stab at this today, understand the vice grip/s idea, what is the 'Engine Support Bar' you speak of? Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 20 2013, 07:13 PM) *

very, very small adjustments inside the tunnel; if it's the shifter. have you tried shifting it by hand, with the shifter disconnected? Watch the travel of the ball on the side shift plate thru all the gears and see if it's the same.

Shifting by hand? Do you mean at the tranny? No, I have not. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 20 2013, 07:00 PM) *

At the tranny end all I replaced was the big bushing, I have R 2/3/4/5 gear but not first. Bob
jimkelly
have we established if you have a TS or SS trans ??
rhodyguy
not that i can read anywhere.
orthobiz
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 22 2013, 09:58 AM) *

It's a side shift.

Paul
jimkelly
thanks, so the adjustment bolt is the one pictured above, under shifter.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 22 2013, 09:58 AM) *

Its a 75 914, thats as much as the D/ass owner knows. The owner.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 20 2013, 07:00 PM) *

Yup, that pic is like what I have. How best to clamp it so it does not move, no room down in that hole. Bob
Java2570
Under the center cushion area, there is an access cover you can remove back by
the firewall.....you can get a vise grip onto the shift rod back there.
bandjoey
Pictures and stuff.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.