Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Sheet metal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
Is there a difference between the sheet metal (shroud etc.) on a 2.0 vs. a 1.7 or 1.8. sad.gif
Joe Bob
Yup....the spark plug holes are differrent...
ruddyboys
the 1.7 and the 1.8 should be the same. the 2.0 has the spark plug holes in a different location.
ClayPerrine
Simple answer... Yes. The 2.0 engine has different cylinder heads. Those heads have different spark plug angles, so the engine tin had to be remade for the 2.0. You can use the 1.7/1.8 tin if you weld up and redrill the holes for the spark plugs in the correct location for the 2.0 heads. The rest of the tin is identical.

IIRC... the 1.7/1.8 tin has a corner where the 2.0 spark plug wires have to go, so they made the 2.0 tin more rounded on top.

Keep asking questions... it's the only way to learn.
brant
Teknon,

sorry for the hi-jack..

I see your local as denver.
we have a small denver 914 group I'd like to tell you about...
Teknon
Thank you my 914 bros., Joe
Dave_Darling
In addition, the tail-shifters used a different piece of bottom engine tin (bolts to the crankcase on one side and the heat exchangers on the other) on the left side of the engine. The old piece interfered with the side-shifter's rear shift rod, so they changed it.

Also, both the left and right bottom tin pieces were changed in 75-76 because of the new heat exchangers.

The 72-only rear panel has a large fitting in it for an intake pre-heat hose; I don't know if those were ever actually hooked up but they are there.

--DD
BMartin914
All the responses are dead-on Joe.

Brant, Joe's a great new guy! He found all of us through the C914 board. When you get some time away from your bad a$# race car we'll all get together. By that time TLB might be running. What do you say Joe?
Teknon
Hey Ben and Brant,

I like to call the club "C14" since most Porsche’s are practically 9 something anyway. Working on these old things is like Carbon Dating. They use Carbon 14/ C14 for that. It would make a nice hat "a C w/ an exponent of 14". Whatever!

TLB just got her Greeny front Bilstein's on. Now to attempt the sways! Probably should have done it the other way around. Defrost window about to go in. Hope so, the entire interior is all over the place. I have to win the lottery so I can afford this white elephant.

Still need to drop the engine and fkw/ that.

That disc Peter made is great. Blows every thing up and has the corresponding
Legends.

Looks like some people are going to Kev’s on Sunday. Hope I can make it.

Looking forward to meeting you Brant and always great to see you Ben.

Joe wavey.gif
brant
Joe,

about half way through this thread I figured out it was you.

hope to meet you sunday!

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.