Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17 MM master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Is Centric the same as ATE?

I went with the Centric from Rock Auto. What a surprise when I open the box and it is a ATE. not only that, but it has the washers and the seals, the limit switch and the dust boot.

What's the catch?
timothy_nd28
Bought mine from Rock Auto last year as well. Hell of a deal
Eric_Shea
Centric makes rebuild kits out of Chinese rubber. Those are rebuilds. Just like their calipers. Most of the Chinese rubber I've seen doesnt have enough anti ozonates in the rubber, like the knock-off turbo tie rods. They usually crumble in a few months. If they've been without fluid in them for any length of time I'd be wary.

Best of luck.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 20 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Centric makes rebuild kits out of Chinese rubber. Those are rebuilds. Just like their calipers. Most of the Chinese rubber I've seen doesnt have enough anti ozonates in the rubber, like the knock-off turbo tie rods. They usually crumble in a few months. If they've been without fluid in them for any length of time I'd be wary.

Best of luck.

This was sold as a new unit..... "manufactured under the highest quality standards by OEM and OES manufacturers."

You think that is still a re-built?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 20 2013, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 20 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Best of luck.

This was sold as a new unit..... "manufactured under the highest quality standards by OEM and OES manufacturers."

That statement technically doesn't say "new".
pilothyer
Count on it, it is an ATE core rebuilt by Centric, nothing more, nothing less. On a sweeter note though, at least you can get your brake system scratched off your list.......for now anyway beerchug.gif
Mblizzard
I hated paying the ATE and PMB price because I am cheap. Sorry Eric love your stuff but I am cheap. But when it comes to brakes that is the last place you want to go cheap. Did it once and crashed my 914.

Despite my cheap ass nature, because of that crash, I pay for the quality in brakes and I have never been sorry.

My dad said you can have the fastest car in town with bad brakes but you will get beat by a slower car with good brakes.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 20 2013, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 20 2013, 09:22 AM) *

That statement technically doesn't say "new".

I called them on it, I would not call the guy on the other end of the phone an expert, but here is what he said....

"Centric wants to be able to offer a full line of parts, so sometimes they, and many other manufacturers, will contract with someone like ATE to put ATE parts in Centric boxes" Besides that he said it was NOT rebuilt.

I was not convinced. Sounds like bs.gif to me.
worn
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 20 2013, 12:05 PM) *

I was not convinced. Sounds like bs.gif to me.

Yeah. Like the starter I am playing with - rebuilt here in the states. Sandblaster ring shows along the inner rim of the main bushing. Could have plugged it but they decided to just sort of aim away from the hole. Great.
mepstein
How much $ will you save vs what you may loose because of a total brake failure ?

Just wondering.
TheCabinetmaker
When it comes to brakes, you have to figure what your life, or family member's is worth.
I'll bet of you call ate you would get a different story.

I worked for a Chrysler dealershipin the 70's. We were never allowed to rebuild master cylinders. Wheel cylinders, yes, but not master's
Eric_Shea
Centric is a rebuilder.

Beats me but... I didn't really mean to cause a stir.

At this point I only go ATE all the way. I've said it before; I'm not a China hater but, the quality of rubber goods from there has been poor to date. Things get better and people learn.

The Uro brand MC's had a fairly high failure rate. I believe Pelican stopped carrying them because of that. We saw what happened with the cheap tie rod ends etc. The Uro's originally came out at a decent price. Around $75.00 each I believe. Then the blood suckers out there started charging double that but, still under the ATE price (you probably know who I'm talking about).

If you're getting a MC for under $200.00 it's probably not an ATE and it's probably double what they list for. My cost on an ATE is damn near what we sell them for.

It's something we rarely need, I'd kinda go with ATE right now and, I think $235.00 for a piece like that is rather inexpensive in the face of Porsche parts prices.

Again, I really didn't want to cause a stink but, again, Centric is a rebuild house. I "highly" doubt ATE would be selling in bulk to them without packaging so they can put it in their boxes.

On the bright side, FAG is starting to make MC's now and their seal quality has been good. That may be an alternative in the future.
Matt Romanowski
Centric is much more than just a rebuilder.
76-914
If it weren't for bad rubber I would never have had a son. happy11.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 20 2013, 07:56 PM) *

If it weren't for bad rubber I would never have had a son. happy11.gif

I love this site
malcolm2
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 20 2013, 06:25 PM) *

Again, I really didn't want to cause a stink but, again, Centric is a rebuild house. I "highly" doubt ATE would be selling in bulk to them without packaging so they can put it in their boxes.

I don't think your input is causing a stink. I thank you for your input.

Centric has no "contact us" link on their website, they never mention anything about rebuilding. Don't remember anything about them NOT being a re-builder either.

I believe what you are saying, hell your in the biz. It is a shame that they would basically HIDE that fact from the end user, and maybe even the wholesaler. Cause that guy at RockAuto was told to give "a line" and stick to it.

I noticed that AA is now exclusively Centric on MCs. The Doc loves these cars, but he is in the biz of selling parts, I usually take his input with a grain of salt. It is worthwhile, but too "salesman-y" for my un-dying trust.

Thanks for your input.

Hey Eric, so it is impossible to get the 17mm seals, the good ones, correct?
Eric_Shea
I haven't seen any ATE rebuild kits on the market in years.

You may be fine with it. Centric rebuilds a lot of calipers, they supply lots of rebuild kits, spring and pad kits, pistons etc. Did Rock Auto advertise it as an ATE or a Centric MC? If I were Centric and I was selling factory fresh ATE MC's for pennies on the dollar, I'd promote the crap out of them being original ATE.

Again, I'm not bagging on Centric. I just don't see them offering ATE MC's in their boxes and having them be factory new. I could be DEAD wrong. Frankly, I hope I am.
Mblizzard
If you were wrong Ckark would not be replacing his MC today.
914_teener
Did some reading on anti-ozinates.

Interesting stuff.

Used in hair dye and film processing as well.

The good stuff is made by Dupont, and as ever, it costs.

This comment is for Towle:

No wonder my wife hair appointments are so damn expensive.
r_towle
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 21 2013, 05:39 PM) *

Did some reading on anti-ozinates.

Interesting stuff.

Used in hair dye and film processing as well.

The good stuff is made by Dupont, and as ever, it costs.

This comment is for Towle:

No wonder my wife hair appointments are so damn expensive.

Why, do all your kids look like the hairdresser?
Matt Romanowski
Got the new Grassroots Motorsports yesterday and Tire Rack had a whole page of their add dedicated to Centric and Stoptech (their performance brand).
Mblizzard
Did you get the MC in and drive it yet?
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 22 2013, 08:21 AM) *

The install was tough, getting it assembled and installed. Had to loosen the gas tank and tilt it so I could get the tubes to follow the correct path. Then the little boots going thru the car body were impossible. The bleeding process took quite a while.

I had a ton of stuff under the car, in front of the car, in the trunks. So after installing the wheels, I called it a night.

Got a few more things to make sure about this morning, then I am off for a morning drive.

Video to follow....
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 22 2013, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 22 2013, 08:21 AM) *

The install was tough, getting it assembled and installed. Had to loosen the gas tank and tilt it so I could get the tubes to follow the correct path. Then the little boots going thru the car we impossible. The bleeding process took quite a while.

I had a ton of stuff under the car, in front of the car, in the trunks. So after installing the wheels, I called it a night.

Got a few more things to make sure about this morning, then I am off for a morning drive.

Video to follow....

I bet your son is excited
Mblizzard
Go Clark! driving.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 22 2013, 10:24 AM) *

Go Clark! driving.gif

The beast has made it around the neighborhood. For some reason, I can't get logged in to my you tube account, so no online video yet. But It runs and sounds awesome.

The only catch is 2nd gear. It does not like a quick shift and it will not allow me to down shift to 2nd. Other than that it is great.

Now I need to put the door on, all three trunk lids, etc.... the 2nd seat.... and on and on.

But first I am going to drive around the hood again... driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

The jack stands are going under the house!

ripper911
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 21 2013, 11:07 AM) *

I noticed that AA is now exclusively Centric on MCs. The Doc loves these cars, but he is in the biz of selling parts, I usually take his input with a grain of salt. It is worthwhile, but too "salesman-y" for my un-dying trust.

Not exclusively at all, we also sell ATE, some FAG (or FAE?) and URO MC's for different models.

malcolm2
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Sep 22 2013, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 21 2013, 11:07 AM) *

Not exclusively at all, we also sell ATE, some FAG (or FAE?) and URO MC's for different models.

914 brakes/MC on the AA site, exploded view drawing item #16 only has CENTRIC and "picture not available". Seems exclusive to people that are looking 914 parts.

So what does Centric tell AA (you) about their MC (the 914 one)? new or new seals?
Mblizzard
It will start coming together quick.

Fun to drive also! Sitting at gym waiting for the post gym drive?

Click to view attachment

[b]
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 22 2013, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 22 2013, 10:24 AM) *

Go Clark! driving.gif

The beast has made it around the neighborhood. For some reason, I can't get logged in to my you tube account, so no online video yet. But It runs and sounds awesome.

The only catch is 2nd gear. It does not like a quick shift and it will not allow me to down shift to 2nd. Other than that it is great.

Now I need to put the door on, all three trunk lids, etc.... the 2nd seat.... and on and on.

But first I am going to drive around the hood again... driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

The jack stands are going under the house!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.