Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Check Front Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I replaced the front inserts per the directions found on the site. Basically from the top side without removing any brake parts or such.

I bought a pair of Konis from Bruce that seemed to be good...really hard to push in and pull out.

The old ones I took out were to my surprise also Konis but felt like they used water instead of oil...slush, slush and easy piston movement.

With replacements in the car drives much better...stiffer and a little bouncy.

BUT, on the driver's side when I push down on the car, the car goes downs but doesn't pop back up. It comes up really slow. Other side comes right back up and settles.

Where should I look first? Or should I drive it a bit so it loosens up?

SLITS
If they are Special Reds (collapse to adjust) you have the hardness settings different on the drivers' side. Drivers' hard and Passenger soft possibly.
7TPorsh
But shouldn't the shock rebound? SO if the shock is set to hard it rebounds slower?

When I bought them I think we set them in the middle, the same on both but could be wrong. The collapse to adjust sounds familiar.

Can they be adjusted in place or am I looking at pulling these out again?
SLITS
Konis are primarily rebound. The harder they are set the slower the rebound.

You can do it on the car, but you still have to disconnect the top mount. You have to collapse the rod entirely to engage the dog in the bottom of the strut insert. You can leave it connected to the ball joint & control arm, but you swing the top out from fender.

Hey, the setting was just a guess to get you thinking.

The rods do not automatically come back up. They are not pressurized so you have to pull the rod out of the insert.

Did you notice any dents in the cartridge when you installed them?
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 20 2013, 12:31 PM) *

Konis are primarily rebound. The harder they are set the slower the rebound.

You can do it on the car, but you still have to disconnect the top mount. You have to collapse the rod entirely to engage the dog in the bottom of the strut insert. You can leave it connected to the ball joint & control arm, but you swing the top out from fender.

Hey, the setting was just a guess to get you thinking.

The rods do not automatically come back up. They are not pressurized so you have to pull the rod out of the insert.

Did you notice any dents in the cartridge when you installed them?

Especially where that weld tab is. It sticks out like a wart on a log so it gets hit easily and it was hard for me to see it because of the tab.
914_teener
Check your front bushing wear.

7TPorsh
I am think I may have messed up the setting when I tightened the top nut. The rod was compressed when I tightened it....maybe it turned on me.

So I assume Heavy is stiff? What's the best street setting for a weekend canyon runner? Midway?
bdstone914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 20 2013, 01:52 PM) *

I am think I may have messed up the setting when I tightened the top nut. The rod was compressed when I tightened it....maybe it turned on me.

So I assume Heavy is stiff? What's the best street setting for a weekend canyon runner? Midway?

Even if the rod turned when tightning the top nut it will not change the setting. As Ron said you must completely compress the rod to change the setting.

Have you driven the car and given the shocks a little work out?

If one is bad I have some more. No charge replacement.

Bruce
brant
did you replace the A-arm bushings with polyureathane?
(zerks and grease channels)

sounds like sticktion to me.
7TPorsh
Ok I dorve it around a little....no change. I just took out the passenger side. It was adjusted all the way to heavy. I changed it to the opposite soft setting and now both sides act the same way.

I press down on the corner of the car and it goes down...comes up slow. Can't bounce the corner.

Is this correct? I've never had a car act like this. Feels ok when I drive. A little bouncy. Much better than the Koni water socks that were in there.
Nine_14
Broken Torsion Bar
jimkelly
I assume you have no front sway bar. my guess is having a sway bar could mask some shock issues.
SLITS
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 20 2013, 10:20 PM) *

Ok I dorve it around a little....no change. I just took out the passenger side. It was adjusted all the way to heavy. I changed it to the opposite soft setting and now both sides act the same way.

I press down on the corner of the car and it goes down...comes up slow. Can't bounce the corner.

Is this correct? I've never had a car act like this. Feels ok when I drive. A little bouncy. Much better than the Koni water socks that were in there.

With good quality shocks I do not remember ever having a bounce. You push the fender down and it comes back up and stops. The function of the shock is to control spring oscillation ( bouncing). Your Konis are doing their job.
7TPorsh
Thanks Ron,

I drove the car a bit over the weekend and it's stiff as hell. So it dawned on me.....I think I adjusted them the wrong way. Really hoppy on the streets...great on the freeway and twisties over 50mph.

These are the Special "D" adjustable Konis. The arrow on the orange shaft points to the right. I interpreted this to mean that that is the way the SHAFT (not Body) should turn...so I turned the shaft Clockwise all the way thinking I am softening it.

Is the arrow for the shaft or the body? Did I get it back asswards?

Is softening Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise?

If it's on soft now then they are coming out....no way I can drive streets without a kidney belt.
Eric_Shea
I think you'll want to go counter clockwise on the shaft which would coincide with the arrow on the body for "HEAVY", Meaning: if you compress the shaft and turn the body the direction of the arrow you'll be making the shock heavy.

I "always" run Koni's full soft on the street. It gives the perfect firm Euro ride without rattling your teeth out.

7TPorsh
oh crap, I did do it backward then. b-b-b-bone j-j-j-j-jarring

Thanks
7TPorsh
While I'm at it are the rears adjustable? Have red Konis out back. thx
SLITS
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 24 2013, 10:41 AM) *

While I'm at it are the rears adjustable? Have red Konis out back. thx

If they are the Special D Reds .... yes! Same process ... take them off, take them apart ... collapse to adjust. You'll need a spring compressor unless you have higher poundage per inch, shorter springs. See Harbor Freight for one that will work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.