Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Loss Under Load
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dereko88
Hey guys,

I have a 75 1.8.

The engine seems to want to give out when I'm accelerating and especially when I come out of corners. RPM's do NOT drop. And at times the problem will come and go constantly while cruising, but slightly accelerating. The engine makes a "buurrrrrrr" sound when it does give out, but it'll kick back on in about a second. I can't get it to do this while parked and in neutral.

I pulled the throttle body thinking I had the throttle position switch with the potentiometer circuit that could get bent arms and bad connections. This one only has the switch for Idle to WOT. The throttle body was covered in oil which I assume came from the air hose from the oil filler neck. But I cleaned it up and still didn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
timothy_nd28
It might be a dead spot on the resistor plate inside the air flow meter
Rotary'14
Do you think you might be suffering from fuel starvation or a clogged filter?
dereko88
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 20 2013, 08:34 AM) *

It might be a dead spot on the resistor plate inside the air flow meter

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Sep 20 2013, 08:35 AM) *

Do you think you might be suffering from fuel starvation or a clogged filter?

Would either of these cause this issue when it wasn't under load?

I've long suspected fuel pump problems down the road. The pump is actually pretty loud (in my opinion) and makes an offbeat whirring sound as it runs. Is it supposed to be relatively quiet? Should I be able to hear it in the cabin when I'm stopped? Maybe this is part of my problem. I will check the fuel filter tonight.
timothy_nd28
Check the fuel pressure first.
brant
I had a djet car with kinking at the fuel rail. Did you replace the fuel lines between the rail and injectors. Mine were a half an inch too long when I did. When the engine compartment was cool everything was fine. When the compartment warmed up the hoses would partially kink allowing adequate fuel pressure for light load but not full load. It might not be in the same place but always look at things you have recently done that changed. It's usually the last thing you've done such as new fuel lines partially kinked under the tank. Test your fuel pressure. The motor needs the most under load
SLITS
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 20 2013, 11:38 AM) *

I had a diet car with kinking at the fuel rail. Did you replace the fur lines between the rail and injectors. Mine were a half an inch too long when I did. When the engine compartment was cool everything was fine. When the compartment warmed up the hoses would partially kink allowing adequate fuel pressure for light load but not full load. It might not be in the same place but always look at things you have recently done that changed. It's usually the last thing you've done such as new fuel lines partially kinked under the tank. Test your fuel pressure. The motor needs the most under load

Yeah .... ask Eric Shea about kinks in fuel lines av-943.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The whirring sound from the fuel pump is fuel starvation from a clogged filter. Seen it many times. Happens when you go around corners is another symptom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.