Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do you work on any of your cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cooltimes
Question is:
Where do you work on ANY of your cars?
Heated and air conditioned garage?
Heated garage?
Unheated garage?
Driveway?
Backyard?
Side of the road?
Other? please state where.

MikeCool
SteveSr
I work on mine in a heated garage................... wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

SteveSr
Aaron Cox
unheated so cal carage biggrin.gif
kafermeister
I store/work/break my cars in an unheated 24x30 pole barn with concrete floor. It's currently filled completely with junk, er uhm 914s. laugh.gif

Rick
Carlitos Way
Don't we, as 914 owners, have to work on them EVERYWHERE we park?

biggrin.gif

Carlos

(but I work on mine on the driveway... much to my neighbors griping)
iiibdsiil
Unheated S. FL garage, and if it is going to be getting colder than 60 when I am there, you better believe I will be buying a heater.
machina
2 car garage attached to my house, and 10' away from my office. Problem is you might find me under the car instead of in front of the computer.

Oh yeah, and it has central AC with heat. smile.gif
Allan
Luckily I have access to our fleet maintenance yard and can do the big stuff there. It's unheated except for a kerosene space heater. The small stuff I can do in the garage at the house. That is if I ever get the big stuff done and actually get it back to the house. biggrin.gif
URY914
Big 2 car garage.
No heat.
No A/C.
Big fan.
Fridge with cold beer.

beer3.gif
type11969
unheated garage

long underwear, flannel pants, jeans, undersirt, thermal shirt, sweatshirt, and fleece jacket all at once make heating unecessary . . . at least so far. Dealt with 35 degrees so far.
Rhodes71/914
Unheated 3 car garage attachted to the house. Coldest temp so far while working on engine rebuild 15 deg F. I have a space heater that I put right next to where I am working so I don't totaly freeze, but the polypro long underwear helps a bunch.
lapuwali
Unheated 2 car attached garage, or the driveway. I have too many projects to do everything in the garage. And if it's less than 50dF out, I sit in the nice, warm house and leave the projects alone. I'm a wuss...
scooter311
I have a small house with a detached single car garage, just keep the car in there during the summer, and can do small stuff there or in my driveway, but the major stuff I do at the house I grew up in - 2.5 car, lotsa room, big compressor, and a 150,000btu kerosene salamander that blows a big stinky, smokey jet engine mess when you start it up. I store the car there during the winter and get to work on it during the winter downtime. It's really a nice setup. Plus, I get mom's cookin' as the bonus - "Oh dear you have to come over, I made too much lasagna".....
I'm Italian, I can't pass up food.
EVER....

Keep all my tools (2 rollarounds and lotta small stuff), dirtbike and all the riding gear on my porch (good sized and heated too). Was never an issue until I got my 914, but because I don't have a real garage yet, now I have car stuff inter-mingling with my offroad stuff - OH the humanity!

I want a 4 car attached garage - one bay for the Jeep, one bay for the wife's car (need a woman to marry first I suppose laugh.gif ) one for the 914, and one for the offroad stuff.
Then, I will be complete........
jr91472
on the side of the road..... chairfall.gif

otherwise in my unheated garage.
sanman
heated 2.5 attached garage wink.gif
nebreitling
i hate you guys.

i work on my 914 in a parking lot in front of my apartment. neighbors love when it's on jackstands.
ruddyboys
One of those unheated leaky mobile garage in my yard.
Gustl
unheated underfloor parking lot
it's for about 20 cars and belongs to the house where my appartement is in
I've got a 2-car-area for my daily driver and my 914
"easy work" I can do there, if there's more to do I get help from a friend who has access to a big truck storage with fully suplied garage
mattillac
drive way.
balljoint
Small corner of 5000 sqft heated warehouse at work.
mattillac
once i get it running i'll be able to take it to work and wrench on it. i work at a toyota dealer. i love working on a car with a lift. smilie_pokal.gif it's the best. beats crawling around on the damn floor. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
i hate you guys.

i work on my 914 in a parking lot in front of my apartment. neighbors love when it's on jackstands.

Nathan, if you saw what I pay for the house that's attached to that 2 car garage, you'd not be complaining. I'll bet you could rent 10 apartments for the total outlay (mortgage, taxes, insurance), and I can't call a super to fix my plumbing problems (for free). There has to be SOME compensation for all that dosh... biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Ghetto jungle back yard littered with cat shit and mud rolleyes.gif I guess my "car lot" is depressing the hookers and drug dealers laugh.gif
GaroldShaffer
In the 3 car attached heated garage rolleyes.gif Life is good. Oh, and my office is above the garage. biggrin.gif Got to love that 14 stair step commute ohmy.gif smile.gif
joea9146
Detached Heated 3 Car Garage smash.gif
SteveSr
Oh yea,almost forgot.........fridge/ beer3.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

SteveSr
richardL
20 X 50 heated shop under the house

R
un-heated 3 car garage, behind the house..P.O put it in about 10 years ago, and put in 240 electric, sep breakers, and lots of head room...eventually I may get a lift..
tat2dphreak
unheated/cooled garage, when it's nice out
ClayPerrine
900 sq ft Heated 3 car garage with a lift. It will have central heat and AC next summer.

Yep..love standing up to do a valve adjustment. Plus the lift makes dropping a motor a breeze..... mueba.gif
skline
I have a 2 car garage that with all my junk in it, holds one car. The only time it is heated is when I turn on my little space heater. Lately, that has been daily. The heater barely keeps it warm on some days and cooks you out others. Soon I will pull my car out and clean everything out and then put the car back in. Where it belongs.
i love porsche
heated and cooled driveway, all done by mother nature inc.

the garage is too small to actually work inside, so i have to push the car in the drive way to work on it
nebreitling
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Dec 15 2004, 11:29 AM)
Nathan, if you saw what I pay for the house that's attached to that 2 car garage, you'd not be complaining. I'll bet you could rent 10 apartments for the total outlay (mortgage, taxes, insurance), and I can't call a super to fix my plumbing problems (for free). There has to be SOME compensation for all that dosh... biggrin.gif

lmao.... point taken.

i think i'll go write my rent check right now. or should i just pay cash?

lol2.gif
Spoke
Attached 2 car garage. Use a 50K BTU kerosene heater w/thermostat in the winter. No AC. The heater allows me to wash my cars in the garage during the winter. My wife hates the ice slicks on the driveway in the winter when washing cars, but then again I'm the only one on the block with clean cars in the winter. My black Audi A6 looks like crap after a snow storm so washing it is a must.

Spoke
Jeroen
If I work on the car (which I haven't for months), it's in the garage
I have a small gasoline heater...
rick 918-S
28' X 34' X 10' heated slab, 2" X 6" walls, 1/2 story for storage. I built it. I cut every one of the cedar shakes on the gable. Ya, I know.. I can't leave anything alone! BTW:

The MGA is for sale.... shameless plug... laugh.gif
Joseph Mills
Two-car carport for me. Sometimes I think of closing it in, but can't bring myself to do it. The house is a "mid-century classic" built in '55 and is something of a time-capsul. Here it is clean. rolleyes.gif
Joseph Mills
Here it is dirty. biggrin.gif
cooltimes
My working place is a 2 car garage in Bartlett, TN where it 's always too hot in the Summer even with a ceiling fan and too cold in the Winter even when I can borrow my wife's ear muffs. Thanks for sharing your work place info.
1975 1.8 FI and a very cold concrete floor today.

MikeCool
Memphis TN (suburb city of Bartlett)
http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/
lapuwali
Carpet scraps on the concrete floor will make things a lot more tolerable.
watsonrx13
I work on mine at the in-laws where they allowed me to put up a 30'x20' 2-car carport with lockable storage. Also built a 20'x20' 2-car carport next to it for the other car. I currently own 3 teeners. These are open-sided garages with concrete floors, no A/C or heat, but then this if FL and if you can't take the heat, move north. It never gets cold here (BTW, this morning was 28 deg).

Here's the 30'x'20' garage.....
BMartin914
Under house single car garage - 30 feet deep. Heated with my dryer vent, nice and toasty, but have throw that puppy out the door when drying clothes to keep the lint off the teener.

And one of those blue elementary school gym mats. works great!
trojanhorsepower
Big stuff I do in the big enclosed concreted building (work) across the street. Little stuff (or no stuff) I do in the car hole I built for it.

-Pete
jwalters
sad.gif mad.gif sad.gif Front lawn....it sucks............
scotty914
before
scotty914
now a 10 x 20 rental storage
Series9
2-car. 914RS is the only resident. Propane heater if necessary (I'm definitely not in Orlando anymore):
Series9
I hate doing that. Here's the pic:
John
First off, I'm spoiled as hell.....

My home shop is a 36'x60'X12' heated stick-built building with heat, hot & cold running water, a bathroom, a 25" color TV, Lift, Alignment Machine, 914 Roticorie, Sand Blast Cabinet, Tire Changer, Tire Balancer, bla, bla, bla........

You want air conditioning? Not yet, but will be!

Look back at the "pictures of workbench thread"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.