Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the stub axles supposed to have any play?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I pulled the transaxle from Sandy's car to change the release bearing. Before I installed it last year I put new seals on the stub axles. I didn't notice any play.(in-out movement). I recall the stub axle bolts being long thin with a threaded end. I don't recall a washer. With the bolts tight I can slide the stub axle in and out about 1-2 mil.

It's likely right just something I hadn't noticed before.
McMark
Yup. Normal. The center bolt should have a washer.
Luke M
I just checked two transmissions (early & late style) that I have. They both have the trans stub axle movement in & out also. There is a washer under the mounting bolts as well. I would say that you are good then.
rick 918-S
Thanks, Just second guessing myself. I'm sure I reinstalled the bolts as they were but who knows if they were ever pulled prior to me messing with them.
Harpo
How much play is allowed up & down? Mine seem sloppy, I'm worried I don't have enough prelash on the differential. Sorry for the hijack but they are very similar topics.

David
pcar916
I think you guys are talking about the output flanges on the transaxle. Stub axles are in the trailing arms inside of the trailing arm bearings. If you did the preload on carrier bearings/sideplate to specs, and the gland bolt has the correct torque spec, then there should only be a tiny bit of up and down movement. A little in and out movement is fine. I don't have any 914 transaxles in the garage to check this, but two 915's don't have any perceptible up and down movement.

If the preload is so loose that that's where your movement is coming from, your R&P won't last long, and the bearings might not either.

Good luck
r_towle
I think you are completely screwed on that car, send it to me and I will take care of it for you
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 21 2013, 11:26 AM) *

I think you are completely screwed on that car, send it to me and I will take care of it for you

Send me a check and I'll send you the car. Then I'll start on the Raspberry car. idea.gif Sandy would be just fine with that. driving-girl.gif
balljoint
Yes Rich, send him a cheque. I have been waiting for the raspberry car to get started for too long. smile.gif

Rick, you went home?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 21 2013, 11:40 AM) *

Yes Rich, send him a cheque. I have been waiting for the raspberry car to get started for too long. smile.gif

Rick, you went home?

Ya, sorry we never got a chance to connect. I worked 7 days a week from 7am to 1am until the last day. All 23 of us guys from the states were kicked out of the country on the same day. I felt really bad for those people that were effected by the storm. We all wanted to stay and finish our work.

The Raspberry car is slated next.

BTW: you guy spell check funny. biggrin.gif
balljoint
Bummer. Well, next disaster then. huh.gif

smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 21 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Bummer. Well, next disaster then. huh.gif

smile.gif

lol-2.gif

Or if Rich writes me a "cheque" Maybe I just drive it out east via Toronto..... idea.gif
r_towle
What the hell is a cheque?

I have a rubber book I could use, but you have to promise to send the car to my third party escrow shipping firm before you attempt to spend the funds I will wire transfer to your account.

Please send me you name, birthdate, social security number, wife's maiden name, mother maiden name , place of birth, all your bank account numbers along with the PIN numbers and I will be happy to transfer you double the money from my Nigerian account early on Saturday morning, and my shipping company will arrive at 7am Saturday.
DBCooper
Wow, cool, you're really the son of a Tirolean prince? How can I get in on this deal?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.