Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 914/6 carpet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
cedric9146
What is the correct carpet for a my MY 1970 6cil?

Did read some things here but not concrete answer...

- Is it charcoal perlon ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-70-71-...t-/350256486977

- Is it loop ?

- Plush?

Then second question, is it gray? Black?

Thx!
Gustl
out from the Johnson:

Standard carpeting material in 914s was felt, but optional Loop carpet was available for all years and models.

The wooden passenger's footrest that was Standard in 1970 and 1971 was totally covered by carpet, matching the type used in the rest of the interior.
Gustl
QUOTE(cedric9146 @ Sep 21 2013, 02:47 PM) *

Then second question, is it gray? Black?

both were available ...
cedric9146
Thx wolfgang !!
1970 Neun vierzehn
This is a close-up of original carpet material in my 1970 914/4. The US /6s that I recall from the 1970s had the identical carpet material. As previously posted, there were variations.
Pat Garvey
Paul, what is that access plate for?
P
johnc
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 26 2013, 03:32 PM) *

P
"Holster" for the seatbelt when not in use, below the drivers' door. Rumored to be on the passenger side as well, but I have only seen on the drivers', often broken.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(johnc @ Sep 26 2013, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 26 2013, 03:32 PM) *

P
"Holster" for the seatbelt when not in use, below the drivers' door. Rumored to be on the passenger side as well, but I have only seen on the drivers', often broken.

Will I ever stop learning these beasts?
porbmw
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 23 2013, 04:58 PM) *

This is a close-up of original carpet material in my 1970 914/4. The US /6s that I recall from the 1970s had the identical carpet material. As previously posted, there were variations.

The carpet looks the same as my original from my 6....just cleaner/less worn dry.gif

Having said that...this topic is a bit of a sore point....

I had a lengthy telephone conversation with George of AA about 4-5 years ago...re OEM carpets for a 6. Wish I had taken notes. IF I recall coreectly, he indicated that Porsche for the 1970 6s had supplied a somewhat lesser quality felt carpet...that complaints were made, and that for 71 and (I guess 72) Porsche used the same for both 6s and 4s. I have no idea if that is correct, or why Porsche would have used lesser, other than to cheap out somewhere. BUT...if I recall, George from time to time offers for sale the drivers side carpet for a "6", which I believe he specifically notes is for 1971 and up 6s....Next time I see it, I will pay closer attention to his advert.

Now....

As a result of that conversation, I bought a complete set of George's repro carpet, which I understood to be pretty well "spot on" to the orginal.
That set sits somewhere at the bottom of my stash, where I don't have to look at it....IT;
a)has a blue hue to it which is considerably different from OEM
b)the piping/plastic edging is far darker/almost black
c)the plastic heel mat on the drivers side looks like it came off a roll of hallway mat from Home Depot

SO
Be careful of what you buy....
AND
If anyone, anywhere, has a source either for yardge of material, or actual, true representations of OEM carpet, I would sure love to hear of it.

puffinator
Is the carpet in these pictures original to a '70 914/6? In any event who sells correct replacements and is it Perlon, plush or loop?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The last carpet shown is a plush, and not OEM, the heel pad to be concourse correct is a textured piece of vinyl that is embossed. I have a late set of the salt and pepper, the heal pad is smaller that the one in the 1st thread. To know for sure if yours is OEM, look for the base grommets. I make a silicone version of them, the originals are a thermally formed vinyl piece, the OEM aren't real pretty, they are like the pedal grommets (another tell if the carpet is OEM). The pedal grommets are also a thermally formed vinyl piece. Mine are silicone.

To be correct you want the perlon (I have it ).

It is a lighter duty carpet, but I can put a backing on it for you if you wish. The biggest problem is the light duty carpet will not stay in place without the grommets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.