Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there any advantage to 916 front bumper?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
badmiata
To be honest I never liked them in the past! But I got to thinking do the little fins help with down force? Or is it really just cosmetic? If I EVER get a car and start a suby project I also wonder if the opening would be enough to flow proper air flow. Just thoughts... Give opinions please pray.gif
McMark
Nope. Not in any real sense.
mepstein
When you crunch up the front of your car, they are a cheap bumper replacement.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(badmiata @ Sep 21 2013, 07:18 AM) *

If I EVER get a car and start a suby project I also wonder if the opening would be enough to flow proper air flow. Just thoughts... pray.gif

I have a 916 bumper and the cutout works fine for my 3.8L V6 conversion

Paul
rick 918-S
I like them. They are not a real bumper. Just a fibre glas design statement. The cut out works nice for cooling my big 928 engine. The factory bumper really isn't much safer.... unsure.gif
Steve
It's a personal taste thing to me. Personally I like the GT bumper and rubber air dam look.
I am curious if the fins would help with downforce versus the air dam.
shoguneagle
I like them because I need 'em; at least the front and side rock guards; I have flared fenders so they can be easily worked for match profiles, etc. I do like the looks somewhat and the front air/oil cooler does like the open space for air inlet.

Neither stock or 916 bumpers give much protection as has been mentioned.

Cost appears to be slightly in favor of the 916 when shipping is included, may a $100 - $200 range; 916 bumper from Hemet, CA - $225.00 cost and shipping to Oregon $183.00; very bulky.

That's All, Folks!

Steve
Eric_Shea
I had them on my first 914. Liked them then but, don't much care for the styling now. That's strictly a personal thing.

Oil cooler opening can be a functional plus, and... here's where I struggle, I do find it hard to believe Porsche would add the lip toward the bottom "just for style". It's, just not their M.O. I'm not a slip-stream analyst but I would think there has to be a certain amount of functionality and downforce added. Form "always" followed function. It was the Porsche way.
Tom
They are a lot lighter, especially for the 75/76 models. The extra weight is way away from the polar center mass also = less weight that far from the center is really good. So removing that weight should be great for handling.
Tom
damesandhotrods
The 916 front bumper won’t provide any down force. It will counter act lift…
Steve
I'm curious what they would look like in black, so they would be similar in styling to the GT bumpers. I am not a fan of the car all in one color unless it's black.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 21 2013, 04:25 PM) *

I'm curious what they would look like in black, so they would be similar in styling to the GT bumpers. I am not a fan of the car all in one color unless it's black.

Look at Larry's Porsche built GT
r_towle
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 21 2013, 01:50 PM) *

Downforce pushes down, lift pushes up.

If it won't provide any downforce, yet it counteracts lift, isn't that downforce?

Or is it neutral force, with enough neutrality to counteract both downforce and lift.

Maybe it's just counter force.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 21 2013, 12:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Tom
Paul,
That is one nice looking 914!
Tom
badmiata
It does look great in black!! I would think that a two tone (black bumper with different body color) could work as well. I also wonder how it would look vinyl wrapped. Maybe in carbon fiber?? Old school with a dash of modern flare?
SirAndy
QUOTE(badmiata @ Sep 22 2013, 11:11 AM) *
I would think that a two tone (black bumper with different body color) could work as well.

Back in 2000 when i bought my car ...

damesandhotrods
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 21 2013, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 21 2013, 01:50 PM) *

Downforce pushes down, lift pushes up.

If it won't provide any downforce, yet it counteracts lift, isn't that downforce?

Or is it neutral force, with enough neutrality to counteract both downforce and lift.

Maybe it's just counter force.

It sounds like you’re splitting hairs to differentiate between downforce and eliminating lift. But from an engineering stand point it is much easier to eliminate lift then to create down force. Spoilers and air dams eliminate lift; the amount of downforce created by them is negligible. Ground effects and wings create downforce…
Rand
We can get all scientific, but the real advantage of a 916 bumper is that a thief is less likely to steal that ugly fucher.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 22 2013, 02:14 PM) *

We can get all scientific, but the real advantage of a 916 bumper is that a thief is less likely to steal that ugly fucher.

Ha ha ha ha, got to admire a man with a well reasoned point of view.

DBCooper
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 22 2013, 02:14 PM) *

Ha ha ha ha, got to admire a man with a well reasoned point of view.

badmiata
I wonder if its easier to get away with no front L plate with that bumper seeing as it is OEM and wasnt made to have one.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(badmiata @ Sep 23 2013, 04:58 AM) *

I wonder if its easier to get away with no front L plate with that bumper seeing as it is OEM and wasnt made to have one.

Check your state requirements. In Minnesota, 1972 and older you have the option of single (rear) plate display only biggrin.gif
jpnovak
I used one since it was a light replacement for the 75 boat anchor that was originally bolted to the front and it has a decent sized opening for air going to the radiator on my Suby conversion.

I agree its not the best looking bumper. It also does not easily allow for attachment of a lower air-dam or a functional splitter to close off the center section and actually force air into the center air opening.

The "lips" are all in the wrong place and positioned at the wrong angle for (IMHO) any type of aerodynamic function.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.