Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monterey Historic races + Pebble Beach, 1978
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

Back on the Monterey Peninsula in 1978 these races were just called The Historics at Laguna Seca.
Pardon the picture quality, these are from my photo archives from back in the day. I think that this Porsche is a 1967 910 Spyder ? So what model Porsche is this ?
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

....and on the same weekend at Pebble Beach Concours, is this mid engine Porsche racer with a 4- cyl. Fuhrmann 4-cam engine, an Elva ?
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

Same racer...rear view
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

No Porsche content here, but the 1950's Silver Arrows MBZ was an awesome addition to the concours !
bulitt
Last gasp for bell bottoms...
Dave_Darling
I think the first is the 917 PA, the first foray of Porsche into the Can-Am world. It was mechanically a standard 917, just with the open topped body. It served as inspiration for the 917K body, which finally made the 917 driveable.

The second one doesn't look like an Elva body. There were a number of "specials" that used Porsche engines over the years, though.

--DD
damesandhotrods
The first is a 908/2 as for the second I’m going to have to guess and say a hill climb special.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 21 2013, 06:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

....and on the same weekend at Pebble Beach Concours, is this mid engine Porsche racer with a 4- cyl. Fuhrmann 4-cam engine, an Elva ?

I show this same racecar in the Monterey Historics Program , in an ad for the Porsche dealership in San Francisco. The dealership is/ was California Porsche +Audi, on Van Ness St.
Anyone know if that dealer still exists there ? David Hobbs was associated with the dealership. The ad nor the program does not mention what type of Porsche mad.gif
Marty
URY914
Yes first is a 908/2.

Second is a Bergspyder. Lightweight special.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 21 2013, 05:01 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Back on the Monterey Peninsula in 1978 these races were just called The Historics at Laguna Seca.
Pardon the picture quality, these are from my photo archives from back in the day. I think that this Porsche is a 1967 910 Spyder ? So what model Porsche is this ?

The photo below was taken on July 10 1978 at the PCA Parade at Aspen. This car was owned by Duncan Powers at the time, and was presented as a 908/2.

The car pictured above at Monterey is listed as the ex-Vic Elford Targa Florio 908/2. Peter Smith is attributed ownership at the August 1978 event.

My sources for information; I was at the Aspen Parade, and the Monterey event details are featured in the November 1978 issue of the PCA Panorama.

Paul
Maltese Falcon
Thank you Paul, ury914, and damesandhotrods, 908\2 it is. The Aspen car has the Franz Blam Racing logo on the side qtr.
These guys go way back biggrin.gif
Marty
stownsen914
Agreed on the bergspyder. Perhaps a 904 bergspyder. Only thing is the headlights on the 904 bergspyders usually were a strange breed, aimed up in the air rather than forward. Probably a rules requirement that the car had to have headlights, not necessarily usable smile.gif

The other car may not be a 908, though it does look a lot like one. This car looks eerily like a 907 that I knew well from the 1980s when it was owned by a PCA member from NJ. The car had a special 908-like body on it. Notice that the first pic has more of a dip between the front and rear fenders than the 908/02 in the pic further down in the thread, and the windscreen and the rear spoiler flaps are a little different too.

Assuming it's the same car, here's a link to a picture of the 907 I'm talking about while the NJ owner had it => http://www.flickr.com/photos/10211432@N08/3701743356/
Looks very similar.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.