Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion on cutting out & steering wheel vibration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
When I put on a new trans ground strap, it definitely made a difference in the starting, and I thought it got rid of the other strange cutting out bug as well?

For at least the last 4 months, it did not act up until this Friday, in about a 15 mile stretch on the Interstate at about 75 mph, it will cut out for about 6 or 7 seconds, and then oddly, take right off again. It did that 3 times. It only tends to do it when going about that speed, (or faster) 2004, WRX. 2.0

Also, I had the mechanic re balance the front tires to see if that was it, and again when going at least 70, it will make the steering wheel quiver. He looked at the front end on the hoist, but could not see anything obvious? It also does it off and on when going at that speed, and not constantly.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what could be causing it?
r_towle
Electrical, look at the ignition switch, wiggle it when it happens.

Front end, well it's not hard to mount the wheels wrong, pull them off and do it by hand, slooooowly.
Get each lug bolt centered properly..

Rich
partwerks
I've tried wiggling the key in the ignition, while it is running, but nothing shows up.

Will try it when it is acting up as well.
Elliot Cannon
Loose tie rods?
partwerks
Here's a couple tips that I had received, but what don't make sense, is that why would I go for so long, and not cut out, and had not touched the front end either, and now it wants to make the wheel quiver at a high rate of speed? What would make it cut out at higher speeds, but not lower? Same with the quivering? I have not hit any big, fat, potholes either!!

It might be fuel delivery, kinked hose, fuel filter, pump. Try it in 1 gear lower or up a long hill to see if it's worse.

The wider wheels are always harder to balance on a 914. If the rim is spinning true, you'll probably need premium tires.
Mike Bellis
Steering shaft coupler? confused24.gif
phatnine11
Partwerks,
I had the same problem with the cutting out, speed was not factor, it would buck and cutout at any speed. I finally traced it done to the CH sensor. The symptom was the cutting out was getting more frequent. Just an idea and it's the cheapest part to replace.
Good luck,
Phatnine11
partwerks
Thanks for the tip. I presume CH is the acronym for Cylinder Head Sensor??
messix
check the front wheel bearings
Drums66
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 22 2013, 01:04 PM) *

check the front wheel bearings

....ECHO!!
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.