Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renn shifter install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
partwerks
Finally invested in a Renn shifter, and hopefully will put to bed all those shifting woes once and for all!!

Not that my mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, but are there any off the wall issues that might be good to know before we start the project?? I have all new bushings otherwise.
davesprinkle
Get rid of the fore-aft limit stops. Seriously. Take them out and throw them away. The limits should be set by the transmission, not the shifter.

Also, good luck getting the reverse lockout to work. I just took mine out altogether.
partwerks
Is the reverse lock out to keep from going into reverse gear when going from 1st to 2nd gear? If so, I had 1st capped off, and actually start out in what would be 2nd gear, is my 1st.
Matt Romanowski
I had to remove the reverse lockout so I could get the shifter over for first. Once I did that, it was pretty easy.
partwerks
According to that, then I shouldn't have to remove it in my particular situation?

Where do I go about looking up the instructions for adjustment at?
Dave_Darling
Doc Evil's signature block. Look at the bottom of any of his posts.

--DD
Drums66
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Sep 22 2013, 08:03 AM) *

Get rid of the fore-aft limit stops. Seriously. Take them out and throw them away. The limits should be set by the transmission, not the shifter.

Also, good luck getting the reverse lockout to work. I just took mine out altogether.

.....Go get your money back! & enjoy the stock set-up idea.gif
bye1.gif Peace yellowsleep[1].gif
partwerks
That's the problem, I'm not enjoying the factory set up.
Drums66
....OK, intertain other idea's confused24.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif
Matt Romanowski
Anyone tried the Hargett Precision shifter?
Tom
My Renn shift install worked out great. Reverse lock out performs perfectly. I did install all new bushings which was a big factor in tightening up any slop aft of the shifter. I ran into a problem at the trans console, the hole for the stock sized bushing there was way bigger than the bushing, and the shift rod was very loose on the new bushing. Solved that with a custom machined nylon bushing and a couple of nylon ties to keep the new bushing tight in the oval trans console hole. There are other ways to address this issue as someone makes a brass bushing for that area. I don't favor that route because if the nylon bushing wore the hole into an oval, imagine what a brass one will do. Maybe if it is good and tight, allowing no movement in the trans console it will work well. I did post some pics of my fix in a thread back in say 07/08. The size difference in the custom bushing compared to the stock sized one is eye opening.
Tom
partwerks
I just have the shifter, not anything from the firewall back that I am changing. I'm guessing you got some linkage from them??
Tom
No, no linkage. I replaced all of the bushings aft of the shifter. Firewall, aluminum piece just aft of the firewall, and the trans console bushings.
Tom
r_towle
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Sep 22 2013, 05:57 PM) *

Anyone tried the Hargett Precision shifter?

Only sticks up a wee bit.....
partwerks
I see.

I replaced all those about a year ago, and so I hope there are no issues when the mechanic is installing it.
JWest
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Sep 22 2013, 10:03 AM) *

You must have adjusted them wrong. Seriously. smile.gif They are for preventing excessive force beyond full engagement in the transmission. If you are not forcing anything, they are never used because they are adjusted with clearance at full engagement. Too many people can't stop themselves from banging gears, it's just a little extra life for the bushings to not be punished so much.

Most issues with the shifter come from slop in the bushings or adjustment being off. The RennShift is easier to adjust than the stock shifter, but requires good bushings for full benefit.

JWest
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2013, 09:39 AM) *

Finally invested in a Renn shifter, and hopefully will put to bed all those shifting woes once and for all!!

Not that my mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, but are there any off the wall issues that might be good to know before we start the project?? I have all new bushings otherwise.

Mechanics tend to do a bad install more then novices, because they won't read the instructions and specifics, but novices are careful, pay attention, and this is just not that difficult. Some mistakes I have seen:

The metal bushing in the bottom of your shifter needs to be moved over to the RennShift with the shift rod clevis.

Adjust so the shift stick does not move to either side when engaging 2nd gear - the gear slot in the trans should align with the shifter springs.

Back off the stops so they are not touching during full engagement, as above.
partwerks
QUOTE(JWest @ Sep 22 2013, 06:13 PM) *

Mechanics tend to do a bad install more then novices, because they won't read the instructions and specifics, but novices are careful, pay attention, and this is just not that difficult. Some mistakes I have seen:

The metal bushing in the bottom of your shifter needs to be moved over to the RennShift with the shift rod clevis.

Adjust so the shift stick does not move to either side when engaging 2nd gear - the gear slot in the trans should align with the shifter springs.

I'll skip over the first line for the mechanic, but pass along the extra tips part, just in case!!
naro914
I have Rennshft in both Papa and Huey and love them. No other mods to the linkage.... Any 914 owner that drives Huey is amazed at how precise and easy the shifting is, though for some reason Huey shifts better than Papa?? No idea why... But both are good.
r_towle
Cause Huey shifts nice, but eats motors....
partwerks
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2013, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(JWest @ Sep 22 2013, 06:13 PM) *

I'll skip over the first line for the mechanic, but pass along the extra tips part, just in case!!

I wonder how that's going to work, since my first gear is capped off, and actually use what would be second gear for first, and so on? How will that work on adjusting it?? I may as well try and get some of these questions answered before the fact!
Tom
Just as a by the way, an early 80's 911 SC boot caps off the renn shifter very nice.
Tom
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 22 2013, 11:03 PM) *

Papa eats motors, not Huey... 3 this year...he's been hungry. smile.gif
TomR
I had my mechanic install my rennshift. He did a great job. Definitely better than I would have! Shifter works excellently. Huge improvement over stock. I didn't change anything behind firewall either b/c I wanted to see how big a difference the shifter alone made. I recommend this upgrade for anyone who dislikes the vagueness of the stock 901.
JWest
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2013, 10:13 PM) *

I wonder how that's going to work, since my first gear is capped off, and actually use what would be second gear for first, and so on? How will that work on adjusting it?? I may as well try and get some of these questions answered before the fact!

With a locked-out 1st gear, the auto-reverse lockout will not function, as it is primed or cocked when in the first gear slot. You can use the manual lockout, or you can simply stiffen the spring for the reverse gate with the included shims.

I didn't mean to be harsh generalizing about all paid mechanics. But those have been the worst offenders and the customers who are apprehensive usually do a fine job. I have also had many instances of pros buying shifters from me after being impressed with the result of one they installed for a customer.
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 23 2013, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 22 2013, 11:03 PM) *

Papa eats motors, not Huey... 3 this year...he's been hungry. smile.gif

If that is the one you flipped, its mad.

If its not the one you flipped, it may be time to flip it head over heals a few times to teach it to behave.

Sometimes cars start getting to be picky...stuff it into a barrier, just enough to change the relationship.

rich
JWest
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 22 2013, 10:35 PM) *

Just as a by the way, an early 80's 911 SC boot caps off the renn shifter very nice.
Tom

Yes, and they are suprisingly inexpensive. Porsche part# 911-424-181-01.

The RennShift does come with its own boot, but if you are after a more of a factory appearance this works well.
rwilner
Make sure your clutch tube is fully welded at all the right points.

With the rennshift, the shift rod will sit lower in the tunnel. If your clutch tube has let go at the front, you may not be able to get into the 4/5 plane.

Other than that, I highly recommend you install it yourself. It's simple to do, rewarding, and you will know it's done right. The job isn't even greasy...you don't even need to jack the car up. Plus, you can tweak the shifter adjustment until it's perfect after driving in real world conditions.
El_Duderino
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 22 2013, 12:04 PM) *

Doc Evil's signature block. Look at the bottom of any of his posts.

--DD

Don't believe there are any links in his signature anymore.
Dave_Darling
Sorry, I just looked and his sig now says "PM me for a copy". So PM him.

--DD
ww914
With a locked-out 1st gear, the auto-reverse lockout will not function, as it is primed or cocked when in the first gear slot. You can use the manual lockout, or you can simply stiffen the spring for the reverse gate with the included shims.

I didn't mean to be harsh generalizing about all paid mechanics. But those have been the worst offenders and the customers who are apprehensive usually do a fine job. I have also had many instances of pros buying shifters from me after being impressed with the result of one they installed for a customer.

I have to tell you Mr. J West Engineering, I was not impressed with your answer to my request from your company for some replacement parts for my Rennshifter. I asked if I could buy a new lock out lever as I felt mine was worn out. I bought my shifter secondhand on this forum and while it works OK, I felt it needed some help since I didn't know how old it was. I auto-cross my car and it is very important to me not to grind going into 2nd with a fast shift. While I think I have my shifter aligned correctly, I wanted to replace some worn parts and pick up some shims that your instructions refer to that didn't come with my purchase. After several questions and responses from you, I simply asked if I could buy those parts. You never answered me. Am I in the category of the mechanic that doesn't know what he is doing?
jim_hoyland
Question for James; I installed the Rennshift 5 years ago ad it has worked fine. Forgot the details of how I adjusted it; but feel it needs a slight adjustment at this point.
How should I go about this ?
Dr Evil
For people that have to remove R lockout to get it to work right, this is an indication of not having things properly aligned. I can install and perfectly adjust a stock unit in minutes, the Renn sometimes gives me a hassle, but it is not difficult to instal with instructions. Even better with know-how. Keep reverse lockout, adjust correctly.
ww914
With the risk of taking a cheap shot, I will offer my experience.

The Rennshift shifter adjustment instructions are pretty vague. They tell you to perform shifter adjustments in the center plane and then they say it requires trial and error and doing road tests. Trial and error of what? If you don't have a good understanding of the shift plane, indeed it is a frustrating trial and error experience.

After I read Dr Evil's explanation of what the shift plane is, with illustrations, it was quite easy to get everything lined up, however as I stated earlier, my reverse lock out mechanism is very sloppy and I don't fully trust it, but I wouldn't remove it.
mepstein
QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 6 2013, 09:28 AM) *

The Rennshift shifter adjustment instructions are pretty vague. They tell you to perform shifter adjustments in the center plane and then they say it requires trial and error and doing road tests. Trial and error of what? If you don't have a good understanding of the shift plane, indeed it is a frustrating trial and error experience.

After I read Dr Evil's explanation of what the shift plane is, with illustrations, it was quite easy to get everything lined up, however as I stated earlier, my reverse lock out mechanism is very sloppy and I don't fully trust it, but I wouldn't remove it.

If you don't feel comfortable with the instructions, just give the guys at Jwest a call. Anytime I checked in with them, they have been very responsive.
Dr Evil
JWest is welcome to poach my adjustment instructions and diagrams as long as they give me credit smile.gif Its good to help out other vendors thumb3d.gif
JWest
QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 5 2013, 03:02 PM) *

I have to tell you Mr. J West Engineering, I was not impressed with your answer to my request from your company for some replacement parts for my Rennshifter. I asked if I could buy a new lock out lever as I felt mine was worn out. I bought my shifter secondhand on this forum and while it works OK, I felt it needed some help since I didn't know how old it was.

First, I've been out of town.

Second, I attempted to help this person rather than just send parts for an unknown issue. That made him angry, and since neither of us knows anything about the age and version of the shifter (it was purchased used) there is not a lot I can do with an unhelpful person. I'll go out of my way to help those who want to be helped but not if they get hostile.
JWest
QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 6 2013, 08:28 AM) *

It's that way for a reason, what I have in the instructions will never please everyone but is based on customer feedback and experience. The typical RennShift install is so simple and aligns so easily that overly complex instructions would just confuse 90% of people out of doing it correctly. Those that have trouble can email me and get quick additional help.
JWest
oops
timothy_nd28
Just like Restoration Design, you should consider doing a install video of the shifter poke.gif biggrin.gif
naro914
Wow..can't believe all the fuss about the Rennsift (and didn't know there were older/newer versions??) confused24.gif
For each one, I unboxed it, put it together as per the directions, installed it, and it worked. Simple. One car I installed the reverse lock out (race car) one I didn't (street car). Works fine and was so easy. Actually took them both out and apart earlier this year to clean them up and re-grease them. Again, easy, easy... thumb3d.gif
SKL1
Have had one in my '71 (with side shifter) for years and am very happy with it. Putting one in the '73 I'm restoring now.

One piece of advice- the rose wood knob is a great addition. Sure makes the interior look like a CGT... biggrin.gif
partwerks
Got the shifter installed and shifts good.

I might have a shift boot made, instead of the cv boot, for a shift boot that comes with it. I was thinking of something a bit more sophisticated, for $565.00

Also, what size bolt will fit into where the shift knob screws into the stick shift??
jcd914

QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 22 2013, 08:35 PM) *

Tom

partwerks

Also, what size bolt will fit into where the shift knob screws into the stick shift??
carr914
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Oct 5 2013, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 5 2013, 04:02 PM) *

I have to tell you Mr. J West Engineering, I was not impressed with your answer to my request from your company for some replacement parts for my Rennshifter. I asked if I could buy a new lock out lever as I felt mine was worn out. I bought my shifter secondhand on this forum and while it works OK, I felt it needed some help since I didn't know how old it was. I auto-cross my car and it is very important to me not to grind going into 2nd with a fast shift. While I think I have my shifter aligned correctly, I wanted to replace some worn parts and pick up some shims that your instructions refer to that didn't come with my purchase. After several questions and responses from you, I simply asked if I could buy those parts. You never answered me. Am I in the category of the mechanic that doesn't know what he is doing?

Warren,
You are entitled to your opinion and here is mine. its not cool to take a cheap shot at a member vendor proper etiquette dictates that you work out your issues with the member vendors offline. If that doesn't work maybe contact a moderator for assistance. This community owes a lot to the vendors who help support our love of these cars. Show some respect .

Scotty

agree.gif
carr914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 12 2013, 07:10 PM) *

Got the shifter installed and shifts good.

I might have a shift boot made, instead of the cv boot, for a shift boot that comes with it. I was thinking of something a bit more sophisticated, for $565.00

Get a 911/930 Rubber Boot - it gives it a great look

Click to view attachment
cary
Best money I've spent is Chris's bushing at the firewall and GPR's polybronze bushing on the console. Put new bushing in the joint years ago.

Then loosen everything and adjust per Doc's instructions.

Shifts like a new car.
partwerks
Is that the spherical bushing at the firewall, you are talking about?
carr914
Probably

IMHO, if you don't change the Linkage & Bushings, you aren't going to get the full advantage of the RennShifter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.