Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help removing stuck jets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
After installing my wideband, and confirming my belief that I was running rich, I decided to calibrate by Edelbrock 1409 600 cfm by changing the metering rods and jets.

The carb is about 4 years old, but the first jet I tried to unscrew only started to strip the brass jet's straight screwdriver slot. Googling the issue had suggestions like soaking in PB blaster and using an easyout, some even used heat.

I wanted to hear what your thoughts are before I attempt one of the suggestions. Do easy outs come that small?
Thanks
JRust
You should upgrade to FI Mark. As a matter of fact. I know this guy with an LS1 motor with FI that is going to be up for sale soon idea.gif . Seriously though best of luck with jets. I would think a little PB blaster would do the trick. The idea of using heat on a carb freaks me out a bit. I suppose you've got all the fuel out of it so it should be fine
ThePaintedMan
I would start by taking the carb off the engine, if you have not already. Autozone has a cheap EZ out set that goes to really small sizes, one of which should be the correct size for a jet.

If I recall on Edelbrocks the jets stand out of the casting enough that you might be able to just get a pair of vise-grips on them as well. Or you could dremel a new slot in it for a screwdriver, but this time use a small hammer and chisel and tap it counter-clockwise. Usually the shock of each tap is enough to break through the galvanic corrosion.

Probably want to stay away from heat. blowup.gif
rhodyguy
or just spring for a NEW carb. sorry. why fight with the damn thing?
r3dplanet
Um, because a new carb is $500? Seems a bit extreme to replace a carb just because of a stuck jet.

My Barracuda has a Thunder AVS 650 carburetor and I love it. The jets do poke up a bit from the body and you ought to be able to torque it out with a small pair of vice grips. Short of that, any ACE hardware sells screw extractors in small sizes. But the brass is so soft that it's hard to image a screw extractor doing anything other that eating the jet and making the situation worse.

Have you tried a few light taps with an impact screwdriver?

Do you have an A/F gauge? What car is this for? Impossible to tune correctly without one in my sweet opinion after tuning Eddy/Carter carbs for many years.

It's also a cautionary tale. Whoever installed those jets didn't need to gorilla them in like that.

-m.

update: I just out and popped the cover from my carb. Those jets are totally recessed, so I'm confusing things in my mind. Can you post a pic?
rhodyguy
simple search shows the 1409 avail for under $400. interestingly, they're listed for marine use.
computers4kids
Thanks guys...
Carb is like new. A couple of sharp taps of screwdriver ground to fit snuggly in the slot with the base supported unlocked the jets. Waiting for my calibration kit to arrive and I'll be ready to experiment.

Yes, I have a AEM wideband and vacuum gauge smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.