Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump is noisy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Fuel pump sounds funny.

Short youtube video of my 75 fuel pump and the car is idling. I have an inline pressure gauge and it flickers between 30 and 40 psi. Factory FI.

Is this a normal sound? Or the sound of a dying pump?

Clark
SirAndy
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 22 2013, 10:46 AM) *
Fuel pump sounds funny.

Short youtube video of my 75 fuel pump and the car is idling. I have an inline pressure gauge and it flickers between 30 and 40 psi. Factory FI.

Is this a normal sound? Or the sound of a dying pump?

Check the fuel filter and bottom of the tank for debris. Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel ...
popcorn[1].gif
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with andy. My 75 is noisy when the filter is clogged. Its not near that noisy though. Its starving for fuel, but it might be near toast from the amount of time it sat dry. I've heard them quieten up after driving for a while too. For sure replace the fiter anyway.
malcolm2
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 22 2013, 03:41 PM) *

I agree with andy. My 75 is noisy when the filter is clogged. Its not near that noisy though. Its starving for fuel, but it might be near toast from the amount of time it sat dry. I've heard them quieten up after driving for a while too. For sure replace the fiter anyway.

Everything is brand new but the pump. I pulled the tank, cleaned it and put POR-15 in the tank, got new hoses, and a new filter, new sock. I tested the pump with gas and a 12v battery, it pumped, so I decided to keep it.
TheCabinetmaker
Maybe a linked line under the tank? I had one I had to remove 3 times to get it right.
ndfrigi
It happened to me after dropping back my fuel tank and tried checking the fuel hose thru the under car access hole and saw 1 fuel hose is bent. So I removed my tank to re arrange the fuel hoses.
Mblizzard
Given the fact that you had to move the tank to get the MC installed, I am betting on crimped line.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 22 2013, 08:43 PM) *

Given the fact that you had to move the tank to get the MC installed, I am betting on crimped line.

It was making that noise before too. Maybe not as much, it only seemed to do it while I was idling. Maybe that cause I could walk around while idling, now I am driving, and hear it all the time (since the front hood is off too).

I have gotten pretty good at taking this thing apart, so I should not have a problem getting the tank out ONE MORE TIME.
Mblizzard
Ugh......

There was a thread that identified some lower cost pumps that may be worth a try to,see if it is the pump.

As it goes with 914s, it is always the very last remaining part of a system that you have not replaced that turns out to have been the problem all along!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.