Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East Coast racing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
For the past few years I have taken my family to the Baltimore Grand Prix and we all really enjoy it. Well, its dead (way to go Baltimore).

I'm looking for alternatives that would provide a weekend of activity for us. Ideally the race would take place under 4 hours from York PA (will be a 6 year old kid in the car...)

Looking at maybe the Watkins Glen United Sportscar race in June, or maybe the Pittsburgh Historic Grand Prix in July.

Yes, I know VIR, Road Atlanta, etc are huge and awesome - but they are too far away for a weekend family get-away.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Zach
jtf914
Lime Rock is right around 4hrs from you. I went to the Historic Festival this year, it was a fun event...

http://www.limerock.com/
ChrisFoley
New Jersey is on the F1 schedule for 2014.
carr914
F-1 in New Jersey

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130923/F1/130929936

Also ViR shouldn't be that far
type47
PCA Potomac club race is this weekend at Summit Point Motorsports Park. Free ... Fri to Sun
VaccaRabite
VIR is about 6 hours. With my usual luck getting around DC on a Friday - 8 hours. With wife and child stops for potty/food... 10 hours.

Lime Rock is a good option. Will have to see whats racing there next year. Would like to support the "new" United Sports Car series, but I'll take what I can get...

IF F-1 comes to Jersey - I'd go to that in a heart beat. Seems like its still a big IF though.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Had not considered Summit Point. Will have to see whats there too.
Am looking for next year. This fall is PACKED for us.
beech4rd
Lime Rock. Very family friendly and USC will be racing there next year.
Within the last five years you could have seen this:-
Click to view attachment

Drivers like these:-
Click to view attachment

And at the Labor Day/ Fall Festival:-
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Out of curiosity, why is it dead? Too many cars destroyed before the green flag?
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 23 2013, 12:54 PM) *

VIR is about 6 hours. With my usual luck getting around DC on a Friday - 8 hours. With wife and child stops for potty/food... 10 hours.

Lime Rock is a good option. Will have to see whats racing there next year. Would like to support the "new" United Sports Car series, but I'll take what I can get...

IF F-1 comes to Jersey - I'd go to that in a heart beat. Seems like its still a big IF though.

Zach

VIR is great and avoid the DC area by heading down the 81 corridor.

I'd go with LRP or Watkins Glen if I had to choose.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 23 2013, 01:31 PM) *

Out of curiosity, why is it dead? Too many cars destroyed before the green flag?

The racing groups and Baltimore could not agree on a date and Baltimore apparently double booked events during labor day weekend next year...
VaccaRabite
Yeah, despite a commitment to keep Labor Day weekend free for the BGP through 2016, Baltimore somehow booked competing events in both 2014 and 2015.

While it is possible the race may take part again in 2016, I'm not holding my breath. Its not likely, and I don't think its being pursued by the city or by Grant/Andretti Racing.
carr914
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Sep 23 2013, 01:08 PM) *

The Tudor USC is NOT racing at Lime Rock in 2014

2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship Schedule

Jan 25-26 Daytona International Speedway
Mar 15 Sebring International Raceway
Apr 12 Long Beach Street Circuit
May 4 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
May 31 Detroit Belle Isle
Jun 29 Watkins Glen International
Jul 13 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Jul 25 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Aug 10 Road America
Aug 24 Virginia International Raceway
Sep 20 Circuit of The Americas
Oct 4 Road Atlanta
r_towle
Pittsburg GP.....on my bucket list....
VaccaRabite
I saw that earlier. Hoped that Beech might know something that had not been on on the calendar yet.

Lime Rock is close enough for a day trip while I could hit the Glen or Pittsburgh for the weekend. And added bonus could see Mike and Noel while out west. The Pittsburgh event is not scheduled yet though, that I could find.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 23 2013, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(beech4rd @ Sep 23 2013, 01:08 PM) *

The Tudor USC is NOT racing at Lime Rock in 2014

2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship Schedule

Jan 25-26 Daytona International Speedway
Mar 15 Sebring International Raceway
Apr 12 Long Beach Street Circuit
May 4 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
May 31 Detroit Belle Isle
Jun 29 Watkins Glen International
Jul 13 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Jul 25 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Aug 10 Road America
Aug 24 Virginia International Raceway
Sep 20 Circuit of The Americas
Oct 4 Road Atlanta

bulitt
Lime Rock, Labor day weekend. They have practice on Thursdays and Fridays, races on Saturdays. Town ordinances prohibit racing on Sundays so they have a huge car show on Sun. Sat and BS'ed with an old guy one Sunday and it turned out to be Vic Edelbrock lol. Then Monday they usually have the premier event, Rolex, or Grand Am or whatever they are running.

Run 78 to 287 in NJ, then up the NY state thruway.
Take a tour of West Point.
Stop in Newburgh and visit OCC.

LR is great, complete access to the pits, camping, etc.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 23 2013, 11:54 AM) *

During the Singapore GP yesterday it was mentioned that the required paperwork and large sum of money were filed with the FIA 2 days ahead of the Saturday deadline.
That puts the race on the schedule.
It wasn't included in the provisional 2014 schedule announced previously because the requirements hadn't been met at that time.
SLKWrx
Might not be as major of an event, but what about New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ? Its around 2.5 hrs away and they have some pretty unique events. Vintage races, AMA, even hosted LeMons this year.
naro914
Go to Watkins Glen... Not only is the racing there a lot of fun to watch, but the town and surrounding area are very cool. Lots of things to do for the little one...and lots of wine to drink for the big kids! (if you're into wine). We used to vacation there from NJ for a long weekend before we got involved with Porsches... Still a great place to visit...
Spoke
NHRA in Reading, PA in 2 weeks. Can't wait to get my nitro fix for the year.

If you haven't seen top fuel and fuel funny cars run, it is an awesome sight. TV doesn't project the immense power of these cars.

Plus each ticket gets you into the pits where the cars and drivers are usually very accessible.

My brother and I go for Saturday qualifying since there are less people there and more racing.
carr914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 24 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Go to Watkins Glen... Not only is the racing there a lot of fun to watch, but the town and surrounding area are very cool. Lots of things to do for the little one...and lots of wine to drink for the big kids! (if you're into wine). We used to vacation there from NJ for a long weekend before we got involved with Porsches... Still a great place to visit...

agree.gif Of course, I'm Biased as I'm from there, but it is a Wonderful Place. Obviously the Races, but Watkins Glen is at the base of Seneca Lake (one of the Deepest Lakes in NA), so Boat rides are available. A lot of Camping areas or Rent a Lake Cottage. Wineries everywhere. Some of the Best Waterfalls anywhere (take the hike through the Glen Gorge). The Motorsports Reseach Library is in Town. There is an Olympic Size pool in the Watkins Glen State Park.
budk
The Pittsburgh Vintage GP is pretty nice, especially the years when Porsche is the featured marque.

They have a week full of events that allow you to get up close to the cars before the weekend of racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.