Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard 1.7 Exchanger Tube Size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
What's the tube size for the standard heat exchanger?

Trying to figure out exhaust options. thx
jimkelly
I can tell you that a steel he 2.0 tube is about 41mm on the round pipe portion.

my guess is most OD's are about the same.

the ID on a steel he 1.7 is much smaller than the one pictured below.

jim
7TPorsh
Since I have no heat and the back of my exchangers are rusted I am thinking of cutting the pipes just past the mounts and mounting resonators or mufflers on each side where the exchangers would be...then feed out the back. Thinking mufflers up front may quiet the VW sound.

Maybe dual inlet mufflers. But don;t know the tube diameter...1.25"? Anyone done this?
jimkelly
how rusted you talking???

see this...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=186693&hl=

IPB Image

using manifolds from 1975/76 exhaust.

7TPorsh
yeah something like that but feeding each cylinder into the muffler separate and the one tube from the muffler each side going out back.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 23 2013, 01:05 PM) *

see this...

IPB Image

I'd buy this in a heartbeat though....
jimkelly
the problem - as I understand it - is you want some back pressure - and the system you are talking about won't have much BP.

if your muffler is good, you should seek out a decent set of 1.7 he's.

cheaper, easier, proper design for type4
barefoot
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 23 2013, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 23 2013, 01:05 PM) *

see this...

IPB Image

I'd buy this in a heartbeat though....
Here's a different take on a similar system, mine's for sale as i want heat exchangers.
Other side i mirror image

Click to view attachment

Barefoot
Charleston SC
jimkelly
more weight means more weight hanging on the head exhaust studs.

I like the first dual set up better because the exhaust manifolds act almost like stub pipes.

jimkelly
more weight means more weight hanging on the head exhaust studs.

I like the first dual set up better because it is less weight.

though the two muffler set up may provide closer to stock back pressure?

gonna have to compare them on a DYNO biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
Are the stub pipes more/less/same restrictive as the older style? I like the first setup above.

With a turbo muffler on each side would it work for a 2.o dual carb car?
jimkelly
with this late style manifold merging 2 exhaust ports into one so close to the engine, I have to say more restrictive, and the ID on this manifold is not much more than 1 tube on an old style.

that said, maybe firing order doesn't require all the flow old style offers????

IMHO, since these cars only pump out a whopping 80 or so HP, I doubt there would be much loss overall, but that said, I know RABY swears by THE TANGERINE header with its equal length tubes, etc.

but I am just talking out my ass. hopefully others chime in.

that said, I have a 1.7 and a 2.0 he set without tin in the classifieds. free + shipping for you.
cwpeden
I've done this before on a carbed car and it sucked for tuning. As soon as I put stock 2.0 pipes and a old S&S header with quiet pack wayyy better.

When I get home tonight I'll post a pic.

I do know for a fact that I could fit the 1.7 exchanger tubes inside the Stainless 2.0 exchangers. as in OD of 1.7 was smaller than ID of SS 2.0's
jimkelly
it is possible that a cross over pipe would solve the tuning problem - but who knows.

and whether or not ID has anything to do with tune-ability problems is also in question.

pls post a pic of the rust at the rear of your current HEs.

I can tell you that my - tin less - stainless 1.7 set weigh 13 lbs and my steel 2.0 set weighs 20 lbs. the difference when in hands, feels like more.

seems like staying stock is cheaper and faster and more predictable.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.