Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Shock Tower Tear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Romanowski
In going over the car for some new shocks, I noticed a little ear under the cup on the rear shock. After taking off the nut, the cup had broken off and the metal was pretty torn. You can see the rubber bushing underneath is starting to come through the hole. I'm guessing one more track day and it would have completely failed.

A set of Tangerine (Racer Chris) raised rear mounts are on the way!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

r_towle
wow.

HAve you read Jaroons thread on this area?

He pealed back the wall that separates the engine bay from the rear trunk at the shock towers to find almost no welds in there...might be worth a look for you.

rich
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 23 2013, 12:54 PM) *

wow.

HAve you read Jaroons thread on this area?

He pealed back the wall that separates the engine bay from the rear trunk at the shock towers to find almost no welds in there...might be worth a look for you.

rich

Thanks for that reference. I hadn't read that. Maybe I have some more work to do.....
r_towle
Wow, you really need or read that thread, it's pretty old.
It's also very enlightening.
r_towle
Oh, there is a way to map out were to weld and you can do all the welds from inside the tower, you just need to penetrate both pieces of steel.
Matt Romanowski
Put Racer Chris' kit in tonight. Very easy to do. The only thing is if you have coil overs in the back, the top perch might hit the new shock mount. I'll be using a clevis to pin adapter, so it won't be a problem. The parts are very nice and his welding is great on the parts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
drive-ability
Nice job ! That isn't an easy job but you made it look fantastic !!!!!!!!
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Matt,
since you have eyelet shocks and a clevis adapter, I was thinking the easist way to prevent the spherical bearing from moving is to re-make the top bushing with a larger od that fits snugly in the bore of the retaining plate.
Otherwise you need a solid bushing that completely replaces the spherical bearing.

As far as coilover top perches interfering with the modified shock tower, I always use a stock top perch, modified to accept the smaller diameter spring. Tall aluminum perches are also available.
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 28 2013, 06:41 AM) *

Matt,
since you have eyelet shocks and a clevis adapter, I was thinking the easist way to prevent the spherical bearing from moving is to re-make the top bushing with a larger od that fits snugly in the bore of the retaining plate.
Otherwise you need a solid bushing that completely replaces the spherical bearing.

As far as coilover top perches interfering with the modified shock tower, I always use a stock top perch, modified to accept the smaller diameter spring. Tall aluminum perches are also available.

My plan was to just make a solid bushing to replace the spherical bearing. There shouldn't be any trouble with the top plate as it will end up below the mount because of the clevis adapter. I'll try to remember to get a pick once it's all together. I should have the shocks Tuesday or Wed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.