Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outer CV Joint Successfully "removed"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
This is for those interested in the outcome of the earlier thread on my predicament with the driver's side outer CV joint, and as info that may come in handy for someone else.

After removing the 4 star bolts, and while attempting to break the two roller pins loose by forcefully jerking inward on the axle, the axle itself, along with the cage and bearings came out of the CV hub itself. But unfortunately leaving the hub stuck to the flange.

Since too many people had told me of damaging their wheel bearing in the process of attempting to remove the stub axle, it was not an option I elected to take. Evidently, some may slide right out, but some require a BFH which will damage the bearing as the stub is driven out.

Anyway Craig (cametal) brought over a moderate sized slider with an outward facing hook. After many attempts with the slider, we gave up on it. The "hook" just didn't catch good enough to break anything loose.

Then He remembered another accessory he had - kind of a cheap "easy out" device. We screwed it into one of the bolt holes, and tried it half a dozen times (alternating sides), and PRESTO! Success!

Below are a few photos with a closeup of the "easy out".

Thanks Craig! beer.gif
Joseph Mills
close up
Joseph Mills
easy out
Joseph Mills
I guess this may seem pretty basic to most of you, but since I have never been a mechanic, and am currently not a mechanic... that now owns a 914 biggrin.gif ,

I find this stuff fascinating... laugh.gif
jr91472
Nice smilie_pokal.gif

nothing like having the right tool. Thanks for the tip.

beer.gif
Allan
Nice. Good info to have. I know I'll be doing it sooner or later.
IronHillRestorations
I usually just take off the big nut on the end of the halfshaft, and drive the entire assembly inward. This shouldn't damage the bearing. I use a brass drift and a big hammer AKA BFH.
John
Excellent and Job well done!

Now why were you taking the axles out again?
Eric_Shea
Since too many people had told me of damaging their wheel bearing in the process of attempting to remove the stub axle, it was not an option I elected to take.

Too bad. Because that was mis-information. Stub axles do not come in contact with bearings.

Glad you finally got it out. smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
I just put the car in reverse, close my eyes, and floor it.

I do this anytime I have trouble.

M
skline
When I did mine, I pulled everything out since it was over 30 years old. I wanted all new stuff, bearings and all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.