Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Out with the old and in with the Roo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
A&P Mech
Hello 914 World! I am a new member of the site and a new owner of a 1974 2.0l project car. I picked this car up from a great guy north of Denver that was reducing his 914 collection down to two cars.

As you can see from the pictures the car arrived in pieces. Everything appears to be in pretty good shape. The Hell Hole is solid and is almost rust free!

I am fortunate to have another 914world member "rnellums" helping to sort and rebuild the car.

I have attached a few pictures that I took yesterday when we rolled the car into it's new home.

Ray
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
KELTY360
welcome.png

Looks like a great starting point. Don't let it stay up on jackstands too long, they get comfortable and don't want to come back down. smile.gif
timothy_nd28
welcome.png
rick 918-S
Nice address! aktion035.gif welcome.png
Cupomeat
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 24 2013, 08:58 AM) *

Agreed, but it appears fate says you need 2 914s...
rnellums
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 24 2013, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 24 2013, 08:58 AM) *

Agreed, but it appears fate says you need 2 914s...

I think we are taking it to mean either his 2nd 914, or the fact that its a 914 2.0L!

Paint is pretty oxidized, but with a little buffing, it should come out looking pretty good!
76-914
welcome.png Well the "air-cooled" part shouldn't be much of a transition for you, should it? The only difference is the heads are separate on these and you aren't hanging your ass over the line when you work on one. dry.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Sep 24 2013, 05:49 AM) *

Hello 914 World! I am a new member of the site and a new owner of a 1974 2.0l project car. I picked this car up from a great guy north of Denver that was reducing his 914 collection down to two cars.

As you can see from the pictures the car arrived in pieces. Everything appears to be in pretty good shape. The Hell Hole is solid and is almost rust free!

I am fortunate to have another 914world member "rnellums" helping to sort and rebuild the car.

I have attached a few pictures that I took yesterday when we rolled the car into it's new home.

Ray
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Welcome. The group here will be very helpful as they hold more knowledge than all the books combined! welcome.png
Drums66
......WELCOME.... flag.gif
bye1.gif
Chris Pincetich
beerchug.gif
welcome.png
Ferg
aktion035.gif I recognize the delivery guy.

Hope to see it at coffee and cars soon.

Ferg beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png Welcome to 914 World. Do you work on big airplanes or little ones?
r_towle
welcome.png

Are you in some way related to A&P girl?
turk22
welcome.png

Ross is a good guy to have on your team!

Good luck with the project

Turk
hot_shoe914
Should have just bought Betsy, would have been cheaper in the long run.

welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
ConeDodger
welcome.png

You should get out now before it's too late! blink.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 24 2013, 07:25 PM) *

welcome.png

You should get out now before it's too late! blink.gif

agree.gif

welcome.png
turk22
I'm a former A&P (many years ago).. I've found it to be absolutely no help... dry.gif
A&P Mech
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am really looking forward to the new project.

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 24 2013, 03:09 PM) *

welcome.png Welcome to 914 World. Do you work on big airplanes or little ones?

I have worked on both but most of my time was spent on commuter aircraft.

A&P Mech
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 24 2013, 04:42 PM) *

welcome.png

Are you in some way related to A&P girl?

Not that I am aware of.
green914
welcome.png piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif It's going to be fun!
SirAndy
QUOTE(turk22 @ Sep 24 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I'm a former A&P (many years ago).. I've found it to be absolutely no help... dry.gif

Alright, please eduficate me, i have no clue what A&P stands for.

Google is not much help either, too many choices ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26P_%28disambiguation%29

confused24.gif
BMITCHELL
Airframe and Powerplant FAA certified wrench
turk22
agree.gif

yep, a federally licenced Aircraft mechanic...
boogie_man
welcome.png Welcome to the madness, great foundation for a starter car.... beerchug.gif
brant
Your in good hands with Ross
but you should also join our colorado yahoo group
welcome
brant
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BMITCHELL @ Sep 25 2013, 10:20 AM) *

Airframe and Powerplant FAA certified wrench

Yup, my grandpa became an A&P mech in the 1930s...

I still miss him.

--DD
Sleepin
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 25 2013, 03:02 PM) *

welcome
brant

I agree. Even though you guys are on the wrong side of the mountains! dumbass.gif biggrin.gif Ross and the others over there will be a big help!

Is that Silva's old car?
jeeperjohn56
welcome.png Welcome to the madness, look's like a good start on a body.John
stugray
Welcome to CO (and the madness)!

Let me know if you need any parts or another car.
I have a stash of parts and a spare running car with FI.

Stu (Longmont)
A&P Mech
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 25 2013, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 25 2013, 03:02 PM) *

welcome
brant

I agree. Even though you guys are on the wrong side of the mountains! dumbass.gif biggrin.gif Ross and the others over there will be a big help!

Is that Silva's old car?

Ross is a great guy for sure! The wife is not so sure about him ever since Ross and I pushed the car into the garage. biggrin.gif

I don't know Silva? Not sure if this was his car or not?

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 28 2013, 03:53 PM) *

Welcome to CO (and the madness)!

Let me know if you need any parts or another car.
I have a stash of parts and a spare running car with FI.

Stu (Longmont)

Stu,

Everyone needs another car, but my couch is not very comfortable so I better stick with the one I got. blink.gif I am not sure what all I need right now but I will let you know. Thanks!
rnellums
Update! Today, Ray and I tackled a bit of rust in the front fender. It took a bit more time than expected, but it came out looking decent!
A&P Mech
Ross, thanks for the welding help! welder.gif Next job on the task list is replacing the fuel lines that run through the tunnel. I will be giving Tangerine Racing a call tomorrow. biggrin.gif
A&P Mech
It's ALIVE!!!! After more than a year of sitting in the garage my 74 finally took it's first breath of air and came to life. I am pleased to report that after a short drive to the gas station at midnight that the neighbors didn't enjoy as much as I did evilgrin.gif that the car runs awesome and shifts amazing! piratenanner.gif I couldn't be happier! Click to view attachment
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif Feels great doesn't it? You have that 914 grin going. biggrin.gif
rnellums
Made some progress on making the car presentable last night! The hood is just about polished up, now just need to do the trunk and doors!

Before:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
Update! I sold my 2.0l drivetrain and I picked up a 2006 subaru ej253 with 50k miles on it. I plan to use an ems stinger ecu from Outfront Motorsports. Does any one know if I can bolt a throttle body off an ej251 onto my ej253 and effectively remove the drive by wire?

Ray
Mikey914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2013, 08:59 AM) *

confused24.gif

Audi and Porsche mechanic now biggrin.gif

welcome.png
Larmo63
Good, you got some better looking wheels!! Filling it up the first time is so exciting, it feels like being a teenager again. (TEENager)

welcome.png
A&P Mech
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 12 2014, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2013, 08:59 AM) *

confused24.gif

Audi and Porsche mechanic now biggrin.gif

welcome.png

HAHA. Now that was funny and so true. biggrin.gif
A&P Mech
Last year I had the opportunity to drive Apollo, Rnellums six cylinder Subaru conversion. driving.gif WOW!!!! What a fun car! From the time I released the clutch and got into the gas pedal I knew that a Subaru conversion would be in my future. Thanks Ross! slap.gif

So I started to collect all the necessary conversion parts. I have the Coldwater 914 cradle, axles, shift linkage, ect. I also picked up a 5 speed Subaru transmission and clutch (thanks Scotty!) My 2007 Subaru wagon became the engine donor (EJ253 173 hp @ 5600 rpm, 166 ft·lbf torque @ 4000 rpm). aktion035.gif After spending some time on the Outfront Motorsports web site I ended up with a Stinger ECU, wiring harness, throttle body and mid engine oil pan. I think I have almost everything needed with the exception of a radiator.

And so it starts. On the first weekend of this month a crew of Colorado 914 guys came over to help remove the stock engine and transmission from my 74. Scotty made sure all the neighbors were awake and taking notice when he arrived in his awesome white 914. happy11.gif It is never a bad time when you get a group of 914 guys together. biggrin.gif

This weekend will be spent replacing the head gaskets on the EJ253 and installing the oil pan from Outfront Motorsports. I am hoping to flip the intake manifold with the use of some Grimmspeed phonolic spacers. I am unsure if this is possible but I am going to find out soon.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Ray, Does everything you do have to be so damn clean!!??

You are embarrassing the rest of us!

Looks like good progress, will I see it at work on Monday?
A&P Mech
QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 14 2015, 10:49 AM) *

Ray, Does everything you do have to be so damn clean!!??

You are embarrassing the rest of us!

Looks like good progress, will I see it at work on Monday?

Definitely making progress and yep I will be there.
JRust
Your moving right along Ray! Looking good bud
A&P Mech
Thanks Jamie! I am hoping to have the swap done by summer. I was wondering how you dealt with the heater lines coming out of the water pump and water manifold that connects the cylinder heads. Did you just connect them with a piece of hose? I know outfront Motorsports sells a modified water manifold that they cut and weld shut. I am assuming that they just plug the outlet from the water pump?
JRust
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Mar 15 2015, 03:40 PM) *

Thanks Jamie! I am hoping to have the swap done by summer. I was wondering how you dealt with the heater lines coming out of the water pump and water manifold that connects the cylinder heads. Did you just connect them with a piece of hose? I know outfront Motorsports sells a modified water manifold that they cut and weld shut. I am assuming that they just plug the outlet from the water pump?

I'll have to go take a look. Dean did all of that & I'm not sure how those are done. I think the water pump was capped somehow. Then the water manifold I'll have to see. I'll take a pic for you
A&P Mech
Update: The progress continues on my EJ253. So far I have replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump and thermostat. The top end is back together and the intake manifold has been flipped and installed. The drive by wire throttle body has been replaced with a cable actuated version. The oil pan was removed and replaced with a mid engine pan from Outfront Motorsport. I have removed the EGR system and machined a block off plate for the EGR valve. The EGR tube was removed and the ports are plugged. The alternator was relocated with an Outfront Motorsports bracket. I still need to design and machine a bracket to relocate the coil pack. As soon as that is completed I can pull the flex plate and install the flywheel/clutch and mate the transmission up to the engine.

I am starting to think about the cooling system. The inlet and outlet on my Subaru motor is 1.5" I am having a hard time finding 1.5" heater hose in bulk. I have found 1.25" for about $6.50/foot. What is everyone running under the car? I was thinking I could run the 1.25" and make a few adapters to step the hose up for the engine connections. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I know Renegade does make a good system but I am not willing to give them a grand for it. blink.gif

Things are moving along.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mueller
Your motor is too clean, your garage is too clean and you are making progress...I don't like you anymore!

smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.