Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall Hole for 914-6 Engine Access
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche1vw
Has anyone any thoughts on 914-6 engine access throught the firewall.

I am thinking of a hole cut in the firewall about 12"X12". This would allow access to service or remove the alternator/fan assembly. It would make distributor access easy and possibly other front engine items. I am tininking of the piece removed becoming the door with a 1" peripheral sheet metal piece welded to it and fasten back on the firewall with sheetmetal screws. Possibly with a neoprene gasket or silicon sealant.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pro or con.

Has anyone done this or seen this on a 914?

Thanks, Ricardo
John
That is a fairly common mod. Easy to change belt, etc.

The access hole cover, though is as different as there are cars with the mod.

I have seen removable solid access doors, I have seen expanded metal, I have seen hinged covers. I have also even seen one car that had ducts running into the access hole to feed the fan with cooler air from outside the car......
Trekkor
I've seen it and like it. I just won't do it. I like my backpad right now.

Maybe after several engine drops I'll change my tune. wink.gif

If I was going to do it I would make ar eally nice hatch, say stainless, with rounded corners the same size as the firewall bulge. I would fasten it by welding nuts inside the engine compartment so I could bolt the door on from inside.

Neopreme gasket sounds great!

KT
drew365
For a track car that already has the pad removed, I think it would be a good mod and I plan on doing it myself. It would be a good idea to keep the panel fitted as tight as possible in case you ever need to test the firewall. I haven't decided how I'm going to fasten mine when I do it. Maybe someone will post some good pics?
ClayPerrine
Just my .02 worth here.

Having lived through a 914 engine fire, I think that ANYTHING that compropmises the integrity of something called a FIREWALL is a very bad idea!!!! So it's difficult to change the alternator or the belt. It's really inconvenient to try to get over severe burns too......

If you really don't believe me, ask Brad what my wife's car looked like after the engine fire!!!!!

(RANT over.. getting down off my soapbox!!)
Root_Werks
Why do people keeping talking about cutting up 914 firewalls? ohmy.gif I have done lots-o-914/6's and replaced many alternators and never had to drop an engine. I am not saying it is easy, like most things, just takes a little time is all.

Don't hack up your firewall. It is there for a reason. sad.gif
Mountain914
Everyone has opinions, and everyone is willing to share, but since you asked, I will post pictures of mine.
It still provides the padding, and in the future I am going to rig up some dzus fasteners for a metal cover. It's noisey for a street car, but that's not due to the access panel biggrin.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
This makes a great setup for adjustments, changing a belt, etc...
There are other threads out here, somewhere, about this. Spare the lectures about safety, please - how did mankind survive without others to protect us from ourselves. Umm.. nevermind.
Back on point - there are many that have done this, and here is just one example.
ruddyboys
Does the alt and belt go that often that you need to cut up the firewall?
Mountain914
Not in my case. However, when it does... or when you are tuning...
In this case, it helped immensely with the engine conversion.
I would imaging most race cars have them because there is a lot of tweaking going on, including changing plug wires, timing, etc...
I am not telling anyone to do this, like anything, we all have our personal choices. The bonding here is we all choose to spend all our time and blood and sweat on 914's ! aktion035.gif
xitspd
I agree with keeping the firewall in its original form. It is not much of a firewall to start with. Changing the alternator or the alternator belt are not an easy tasks, however a smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(xitspd @ Dec 16 2004, 02:02 PM)
I agree with keeping the firewall in its original form. It is not much of a firewall to start with. Changing the alternator or the alternator belt are not an easy tasks, however a smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.

agree.gif Again, I cannot see why the hole is there. Were is there any problems changing the fan belt or alt if needed? I have done it many times. timing is done via the flywheel, so that is not an issue. So what gives? Why do it? Correct, people have thier own points of views on things, but this one I don't get? sad.gif
jdlamonica
I've owned 3 914-6's I have driven them all thousand's of miles with out ever having to do a side of the road belt replacement or an alternater replacement. I think that cutting up a nice car is a big mistake. Service your car at home and you won't have a problem. whats your rush?
drew365
I'm only considering this for my car because it is a track car and always will be. The cost of a weekend at the track is pretty high and I want to make all maintenance as easy as possible. I understand the concern of safety and would only do it if I felt the panel would be attached very tight. That's why I asked for pics so I could decide which would be the best way to attach a panel. I could use a heavier gauge sheet of metal and screw it on tight. It shouldn't have to come off very often.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.