Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to test a speedometer angle drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw_porsche
My speedometer just stopped working. I removed the cable from the angle drive with the angle drive still attached to the transmission. With the cable removed, and the drive attached to the transmission, should I be able to spin the gear by hand? I can on mine. It doesn't feel like its attached to anything. Which makes me think its bad. Is this true?

Thanks,
Jon
Cupomeat
I would say that it has to be connected and therefore is dead.

The oil comes out when you pull the drive, just FYI.
SLITS
QUOTE(vw_porsche @ Sep 24 2013, 02:18 PM) *

My speedometer just stopped working. I removed the cable from the angle drive with the angle drive still attached to the transmission. With the cable removed, and the drive attached to the transmission, should I be able to spin the gear by hand? I can on mine. It doesn't feel like its attached to anything. Which makes me think its bad. Is this true?

Thanks,
Jon

No. More than likely the tab on the drive gear is broken off. You can remove the angle drive itself and see the shaft with the tang protruding from the holder.

Do not remove the housing for the drive shaft from the transmission or you will get a bath in gear oil.
vw_porsche
Okay, I pulled the gear on off the trans (I need to change the fluid anyway). with the gear in my hand it kind of turns, but mostly not.

Jon
SLITS
QUOTE(vw_porsche @ Sep 24 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Okay, I pulled the gear on off the trans (I need to change the fluid anyway). with the gear in my hand it kind of turns, but mostly not.

Jon

Which part? The angle drive or the housing it screws to?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.