Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need more power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justkidding7166
I have a 72' 914-4 w/ 1.7L and need to find either a better engine w/ a lot more horse power or the right set of parts to reach about 200 - 225 hp in the engine i have
anthony
Your choices would be:

3.2L flat six
V8 Conversion
A Turbo
A high end 2.6 type 4 engine (figure on about $12K)

In any case, bring lots of time and money to break 200hp in a 914.
justkidding7166
any of these can i do with out cutting my car
Flat VW
My next purchase will be a header after the gremlins are gone. I have the same car as you (FI). chatsmiley.gif

To hi-jack your post for a moment: pirate.gif

What do "they" recommend for a "street legal" header setup for our cars? happy11.gif
Not too legal rocking nana.gif

Whoever "they" are? confused24.gif
Flat VW
Oh, by the way, forget the 200 hp, and get used to the slow lane like me! clown.gif
boxstr
Instead of going through the routine of trying to figure out what you can and cannot do as far as more power. Buy one that some one else has already spent all of the time and money on. That way you can get in and stick your foot in it and go.
A few excellent examples are on the classifieds section of CARS FOR SALE, Mike Z has a Wild Thang V8 914 for sale, Felix has a Chalon 914 V8 for sale. You can also find examples of 4 cylinder cars with more power. All of these cars are extremely well priced for what you are getting.
CCLINYOUCANHAVEAV8
redshift
And then one day you'll appreciate the 914 for what it does best, the upper 3000 rpms, 2, 3, and 4, and a crackhead that says 'nice Fiat' at least once per year.

M
gklinger
agree.gif lol
TC/914
"And then one day you'll appreciate the 914 for what it does best, the upper 3000 rpms, 2, 3, and 4, and a crackhead that says 'nice Fiat' at least once per year."

I had a guy compliment me on my Studebaker the other day as I was putting gas into the Karmann Ghia.
skline
I get asked all the time what it is. Of course mine doesnt look like the rest but when I had my yellow one, I got a lot of what is that also. Nobody ever asked if it was a Fiat though.
Mueller
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Dec 15 2004, 10:44 PM)
My next purchase will be a header after the gremlins are gone. I have the same car as you (FI). chatsmiley.gif

What do "they" recommend for a "street legal" header setup for our cars? happy11.gif
Not too legal rocking nana.gif

the header has nothing to do with being "street" legal, it's the muffler you stick on it....too loud and you can be busted

see vendor section for European Racing Headers, I'm very happy with my setup from them....I have the street muffler, sounds good and is not too loud or obnoxious

back to the original thread: the only cutting for the watercooled conversions is a few holes in the front trunk, which can be repaired later on so that no one knows you've cut the car if you decide to go back to air-cooled

as to doubling the hp of your current motor, bring cash, a few grand at a minimum if you can do all of the work...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(justkidding7166 @ Dec 15 2004, 09:27 PM)
I have a 72' 914-4 w/ 1.7L .... to reach about 200 - 225 hp ...

any of these can i do with out cutting my car

No, not without cutting the car.

Have you ever driven a 914 with 150 HP? You'll wet yourself... 200+ HP is a nice round number, but a 914 with even 120 HP is a damn quick car! And you can do that without chopping holes if you try. Be prepared to spend money, though.... For 150+, be prepared to spend lots of money.

Or swap in a water-cooled motor and cut up the car. Or a 911 engine and cut up the left side of the engine bay for the oil tank fittings. But either way, bring significant quantities of cash.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 16 2004, 10:31 AM)
No, not without cutting the car.

i have to dis-agree ...

no cutting needed if you swap in a 3.2L /6 unless you want the stock /6 oil-tank in which case you have to cut out the holes to the filler, lines and filter.
but i don't really consider this "cutting up" a car, as the factory /6 came that way ...

wink.gif Andy
nebreitling
i love these types of posts... laugh.gif
nocones
Still considering selling my V8 car as well.
Bring $10,500
and drive away with an absolute rocketship!

Either way you go, a 914, well sorted with even minor tweaks is more car than most people know what to do with.

Michael

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.