Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who made this p&c?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tweet
So my other topic is not getting any response, let me try a different approach. I know the guys, who know, are out there. This is a 96mm p & c combo that came out of my 1911cc. These are old school. I know for a fact that this engine was modified at least 20 years ago (the car has been stored that long). I have never been able to find part numbers or marks other than the "TS" inside the pistons. The cylinders have 18 fins, don't know, if that helps, with 24mm wrist pins. What I would like to know is if they are usable / worth salvaging for the rebuild? I'm on a budget. Car needs extensive fire damage repair.

As you can see, this piston suffered from some corrosion and has pitting. I am aware that there are engine parts that can be welded/metal deposited where there is pitting. Question is, is this piston repairable and at what cost? I also need two 96mm jugs to replace two that are also pitted (easy part) .

TIA for the advice.

-Dan
DBCooper
There's no damage to the piston, that's just the result of normal combustion. You could, and I often have with my own cars, re-use the piston and cylinders. Just clean the pistons well, re-ring them, and hone the cylinders. Make sure you get all the carbon out of the grooves, and you can use the new rings to check clearances are good.

Proviso is that for some reason aircooled motors don't take to re-ringed pistons very well. Sometimes it's OK, but they generally never seal as well as a new P/C set or last as long. I'd do that kind of engine for myself or my kids, but never for anyone else. So if you can possibly get a new set of P/C's then I'd suggest you do it, lots less work in the end.

MartyYeoman
Piston and cylinder sets for a 1.8 liter upgrade are not that expensive. I've typically seen them in the $150 to $200 dollar range. (NPR or AA) You could easily spend that in trying to refurbish the ones you have. You'd then have everything you need.
Marty
tweet
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 25 2013, 07:50 PM) *

There's no damage to the piston, that's just the result of normal combustion. You could, and I often have with my own cars, re-use the piston and cylinders. Just clean the pistons well, re-ring them, and hone the cylinders. Make sure you get all the carbon out of the grooves, and you can use the new rings to check clearances are good.

Proviso is that for some reason aircooled motors don't take to re-ringed pistons very well. Sometimes it's OK, but they generally never seal as well as a new P/C set or last as long. I'd do that kind of engine for myself or my kids, but never for anyone else. So if you can possibly get a new set of P/C's then I'd suggest you do it, lots less work in the end.

Thank you. Next question- These are marked STD (standard). Given their age and condition, what brand and type of rings should I buy? Since the cylinders should be honed, should I be looking at a different ring than a STD?
tweet
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Sep 25 2013, 07:54 PM) *

Piston and cylinder sets for a 1.8 liter upgrade are not that expensive. I've typically seen them in the $150 to $200 dollar range. (NPR or AA) You could easily spend that in trying to refurbish the ones you have. You'd then have everything you need.
Marty

I don't feel that $200-$300 is too much to spend on a new set. It's just that I would like to rebuild the 1911cc, to get it running again and save my money for the street performer I would like later on. I just need to get her going again; it's been 20 years of seeing the car languish in the garage. I also have concerns about the Chinese ones from AA. I've heard so many bad things about inferior products.
McMark
I can't see any pitting that is worth a second thought. Unless the pic isn't showing something. You could have them soda blasted and re-ring them. But if you have to have cylinder bored to 96, you're going to overshoot the cost of AA Pistons.

I don't know what brand they are. I would guess Mahle, but I'm not really sure they made oversize pistons. But if you're building something as a temporary motor, get the AAs. They're in a TON of people's motors and are running great.
ChrisFoley
Unless the piston skirt is collapsed or there are deep grooves up the side or the ring grooves are damaged, you can re-use the piston.

The condition of the cylinder wall is more important.
As long as they are
round and not tapered, and any surface imperfections can be honed out, they can be re-used.
Rings can be purchased for on piston. You need to know the ring thicknesses, ring groove depths, and cylinder nominal dia.
Guys, I just don't know about reusing these P&Cs. One might get having the pistons soda blasted - how about the cost of balancing the assembly after that? As for the cylinders...they will have to rehone and checked for acceptable wear limits. What if they are not in spec? $ just spent for a job where as one can not use said item. For the price differential , I would simply get a good used and or new set. Then my expectation maybe higher than others. Good luck!
JoeSharp
Tweet: I'm in DeLand and we can do the honing right here and find out what size rings you need and all it will cost you is the fuel to drive up here and back. You can probably get the rings at Fisher on the way home.
DBCooper
QUOTE(tweet @ Sep 25 2013, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 25 2013, 07:50 PM) *

Thank you. Next question- These are marked STD (standard). Given their age and condition, what brand and type of rings should I buy? Since the cylinders should be honed, should I be looking at a different ring than a STD?

You size the rings when you measure the grooves and set the gaps in whatever cylinder you're using. I think if I were you I'd either buy a set of new P/C's or take Joe up on that extremely generous offer.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.