Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non Ethanol Fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Garland
Just a note on non ethanol fuel

Here's a good source for non ethanol fuel.
(The site is updated by the public, what goes in, comes out.)

http://pure-gas.org/

driving.gif
A great source is most marines. May have lower tax also.

In Michigan this is true. Check with the state your in..

http://www.michigan.gov/

Gas stations in Michigan are not required to label E10 dispensing pumps, but are required to label higher ethanol gasoline blends such as E85
Mike Bellis
Too far from me. It would take a tank of gas to get there and back. Guess I'll have to settle for the 100 octane 5 miles away.
Garland
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 25 2013, 09:26 PM) *

Too far from me. It would take a tank of gas to get there and back. Guess I'll have to settle for the 100 octane 5 miles away.

Pick your state!

http://pure-gas.org/

Mike,
I just took a look at your build link. I don't think you have to be concerned. Id stick with the 100 to.

You've built a great car.
Elliot Cannon
There are two close by to me. They are both boat marinas.
Jeffs9146
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif California chair.gif Feds!
Andyrew
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 25 2013, 08:26 PM) *

Mike you should be looking for E85 for your setup... You'll need bigger injectors and a different tune though.. But its like running 100 octane + Im sure 034 could put a 91 and E85 tune on your ECU adjustable through your cruise control stalk for if you needed to run 91..
RSrocket
Hey everyone,

I live in SoCal. Not to long ago I happen to stumble across a Shell station in Huntington Beach that said their fuel is "ethanol free". Not sure how true confused24.gif If I can remember and/or find it I'll make sure to post.

Ron
RSrocket
@ Elliot, thanks for the info about the marinas. I used to be a deckhand here in SoCal. I'll start checking them out.

Ron
carr914
On July 1st, the State of Florida repealed the Ethanol Act that said that Gasoline had to have an Ethanol Blend. It has gotten very little publicity even among car-guys and no Gas Suppliers have gone back to E-Free. Fortunately, we have plenty of Marinas & other Suppliers.
JmuRiz
Closest one to me is only 51 miles away.....ahhhhh no thanks.
flipb
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 26 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Closest one to me is only 51 miles away.....ahhhhh no thanks.

I keep hoping we'll have a station in this area with ethanol-free gas. I wonder if any of the marinas along the Potomac or Anacostia would have it.

Til we find it, I'll keep on adding marine sta-bil.
JmuRiz
Yep, that's what I do too. I do remember boat yards in occoquan that had leaded fuel (years ago) might try that area as they drystore a LOT of boats.
Type 47
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 25 2013, 10:00 PM) *

Mike you should be looking for E85 for your setup... You'll need bigger injectors and a different tune though.. But its like running 100 octane + Im sure 034 could put a 91 and E85 tune on your ECU adjustable through your cruise control stalk for if you needed to run 91..

agree.gif
no need to fear the E, embrace it.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Sep 26 2013, 06:20 PM) *

agree.gif

There are no E85 stations near my home. I am running methanol injection, so for now that will have to do.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Sep 26 2013, 06:20 PM) *

agree.gif

Plus one. Even 10 percent cools the combustion a bit, not a bad thing in aircooled cars. My son even runs E85 instead of an intercooler.

bulitt
Went to start up two chain saws recently and the fuel lines turned to powder. That stuff can be nasty!
carr914
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Sep 26 2013, 09:20 PM) *

TOTAL BULLSHIT!

I hate it when people give misinformation.

Ethanol is horrible. It is really bad for Carbs & older Fuel Lines as it clogs jets in the Carbs as it sits & dries while not running and the Alcohol (ethanol) eats the Fuel Lines! Ethanol absorbs water so between when it is formulated to when it is combusted, it gains water weight - do you want water in you fuel or engine? Ethanol will result in lower mileage. It will give you a slight power increase.

Then there are the Farmer Corn subsities. Corn Prices have gone up, so that forces every food group that uses Corn or every animal that is fed Corn to increase prices. That also has not stopped Gas Price fluctuations - if E85 is 85% Ethanol, it's Price should not move and it should be cheaper. E10 prices should not fluctuate much. Also this Country decided (aided by the Farm Lobbiests) in using Corn (& only Corn) as the source of Ethanol. There are so many other plants that are easier to grow & yield much higher fuel - Switchgrass would be about the Best, even Marijuana is lot better source than Corn
carr914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 27 2013, 02:55 AM) *

Went to start up two chain saws recently and the fuel lines turned to powder. That stuff can be nasty!

Lawn & Tree Equipment and Boats are most vulnerable to damage as they don't get used as much and the Ethanol absorbs water & the fuel breaks down. Fuel Lines, Gaskets etc get eaten up. Think about it, you guys in the Northern areas, put your Lawnmower away for the Winter & bring out the Snowblower. If you didn't put a Stabil like product in the Mower, you are buying a New Mower next spring.

I have used Premium E Free Gas in all my Lawn equipment for about 12 Years. My lawnmower (gets used year-round) is FrankenMower as the original deck rusted out. A Neighbor was throwing their Bad Motor Mower (E Victum) out. I took my now 15 Year Old Briggs & Stratton off the Rusted Deck & put it my Neighbors throw away. My Briggs & Stratton starts on the 1st Pull everytime. I have only owned one Weed-Eater/Edger Combo - starts right up everytime!

A lot of Boats have Fiberglass Gas Tanks & the Ethanol eats into the FG
speed metal army
I go to any local Chevron. chowtime.gif 94 octane. smile.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 26 2013, 10:55 PM) *

Same with my 2-stroke sting trimmer...lines leak like crazy...tried to sell it CHEAP and no buyers. I guess I should get a new line and try to sell it when it's not leaking?
Anyone in the DC area need a string trimmer with maybe 10hrs of run time on it?
DBCooper
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 27 2013, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 27 2013, 02:55 AM) *

Lawn & Tree Equipment and Boats are most vulnerable to damage as they don't get used as much and the Ethanol absorbs water & the fuel breaks down. Fuel Lines, Gaskets etc get eaten up. Think about it, you guys in the Northern areas, put your Lawnmower away for the Winter & bring out the Snowblower. If you didn't put a Stabil like product in the Mower, you are buying a New Mower next spring.

I have used Premium E Free Gas in all my Lawn equipment for about 12 Years. My lawnmower (gets used year-round) is FrankenMower as the original deck rusted out. A Neighbor was throwing their Bad Motor Mower (E Victum) out. I took my now 15 Year Old Briggs & Stratton off the Rusted Deck & put it my Neighbors throw away. My Briggs & Stratton starts on the 1st Pull everytime. I have only owned one Weed-Eater/Edger Combo - starts right up everytime!

A lot of Boats have Fiberglass Gas Tanks & the Ethanol eats into the FG

Yeah, a lot of that's true, but you need to separate out the political rant from the automotive discussion. It isn't bullshit, fact is things change. You can't buy leaded gas anymore, and that's a good thing. You don't put unleaded gas into an old high-compression engine because you know better, right? You don't use diesel in a gasoline engine, do you? Use the right fuel, that's obvious. Adapt, exactly like you did when leaded gas disappeared. Drain the fuel system when you don't use it, or put in a few drops of an additive, it isn't THAT hard. Sure is easier than adapting an old engine for unleaded gas. Things change, a fact of life.

10 pct ethanol fuel is good in a lot of ways, worse in others, just like unleaded gas. Most gas additives and injector cleaners are largely ethanol, to absorb the water that separates out from gasoline and clogs things up, rusts out gas tanks. My son's E85 car? A 1958 Volkswagen Bug. Adapted. Performs far better than with gasoline, only new problem is finding fueling stations. New cars use different materials appropriate for the mix. Old machinery? It's old, things change, pay attention and change with them, deal with it. You aren't getting leaded fuel back either.

carr914
You might want to Contact the High End Car Companies and ask their opinion about the Politicians push for E15, up from E10. E15 will Void alot of Car Warranties.

Johny Blackstain
This thread got me curious & I did a little research. Here in the valley most stations get their gas from the Holtzman Oil Co. Their hq/warehouse is 7 mi from my house & I stopped by & found out that they carry 110 octane gas w/ no alchohol/ethenol added. It's unleaded & it's $8.40 per gal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.