Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Mountain to climb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I feel like one of those guys in the old black and white pictures who's cranking the engine by hand and finally gets pissed and kicks the car. I'd like to beat the shit outa the thing. I fixed the power to the starter and got it cranking, got switched 12V from the wire to the coil primary, found a short to ground in a plug that was shorting the switched 12V and tried to fire it up. NO GO!!!! ARGH!!!!.

So this morning I've been searching through the MS forums. It could be a fried transitor, mis-wired cable, wrong output selected, signal inverted, a bad EDIS Module, or the wrong polarity on the VR sensor. I'm damn near lost.

Dave
skline
I wish I could help you, but I have never played with a Megasquirt before. If it were carbed and just a regular ignition, I could have it going for ya in about 15 minutes. Dont hurt the car though, its only asking for help.
ClayPerrine
IIRC.. (And I may not, it's been years since I worked on one) Ford EDIS uses a "PIP" signal to send timing info back to the computer. If you disconnect the PIP signal, it will force the EDIS into "Limp Home" mode, which runs as an electronic distributor with a fixed advance curve. By disconnecting the signals to the Megasquirt, you should see a spark on the EDIS module.

I could probably tell you more if I knew what make and model Ford the EDIS system was taken from.
rhodyguy
are you sure you are getting atleast a signal from the pickup on the timing gear? carbs and a distributor are more than enough challenge for me. sorry to hear of the problem dave.

kevin
Mueller
Dave,

I have a spare EDIS modual and coil pack if you need to borrow one.

good luck
DNHunt
You're right Clay. First thing I'll do this afternoon is disconnect the PIP and SAW and try it in limp home (fixed 10 degree advance). Thanks for the offer Mike, but I've got 3 of them kicking around.

Dave
Aaron Cox
sounds way too complicated for a 30 yo engine! hope you get it sorted..... smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.